Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 16:15   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Found an 1996 E220, done 38K kms at a dealer.
Where are you finding all these cars with only 37 - 38K on the odo?!! My previous statement stands; I'd much prefer a 12 year old Benz that has run 75K's rather than only 38. I don't doubt the integrity of Benz dealerships, but 38K on a 12 year old car (two in a row!) sounds fishy.

Quote:
Needs quite a bit of refurbishment however I have worked a deal out where I will pay the dealer 5 lacs
Never pay a pre-agreed lump sum amount for repairs. This will always result in the dealer using the cheapest parts, or skimping big time since his receivable is fixed. Ask for a detailed bill and then, a discount.

Quote:
2) New Clutch
3) New Suspension
4) New Paint Job
As Irags posted, why would a 37K car require a new clutch? I am not trying to dissuade you, but approach used luxury cars with caution. Simply because repairing them will break the bank.

1. Negotiate the cost of the car, and then the repairs (part by part) separately.

2. Get it evaluated from someone else. You can't really expect an unbiased report when the seller himself is running the evaluation.

3. If it gets a clean chit in the evaluation, drive her home!
Old 5th August 2008, 17:24   #17
BHPian

:)

Just found the car in the showroom and walked right in

Reg. mileage driven I have my doubts too and have insisted on the last date of service in the MB service center as a prerequisite for buying the car. I figure I can do the math between the last known mileage, number of years since and the current mileage of the car.

As far as the parts go, the nature of the deal will ensure the dealership itself replaces all parts. I don't see a MB official dealership sourcing generic parts/ paint in its own service center but I could be wrong.

Again, the clutch didn't seem bad at all. I am having it replaced as part of the deal to make it sweeter.

Finally, I intend to have it checked by the other MB dealership as soon as these folks are done, to ensure they stick to their word.
Old 5th August 2008, 18:22   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent. Have a look at the service history too. If not attended to already, expect to pay some $$$ toward a change of the wiring harness and getting rid of some rust.

Also, keep an eye open in our Classifieds section. Viper as well as V16 sold their W124's in recent times. Both cars were looking great.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:07   #19
BHPian

Allright guys...this may be it!

Found a 1996 white E220, done 45K Kms, non leather but has the 15 inch alloys. I'm more confident about this car & mileage because of the following:

1) Owned by an individual, residing at Warden Road, who seems to care about his cars. The reason for sale is the fact that they bought a C200K and already have 8 cars with no additional parking, leaving little reason to keep this one.

2) Car is maintained at Ahura Motors, Byculla, by a Parsi chap named Firdaus. Firdaus didn't seem the dishonest type and reassured by several times that the car was a good one and that the owner had done whatever he had recommended for the car's heath.

3) Firdaus confirmed that the suspension bushings had been changed and that the ABS Module had shorted out, which they had repaired, not replaced.

4) The owner claimed to have only used Synthetic and Premium fuels, which I believed after looking inside the oil cap - VERY clean

5) Couldn't find any signs of an accident or of any foul play based on my observations

I'm paying a premium for all this, a little less than 4.5 lacs, but I'm hopeful that the car will not give much trouble and compensate for this.

Question:

1) Should I take it to a dealer to verify it's condition, even after the mechanic's reassurance and my satisfactory verification?

I sign the deal tomorrow.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Pleas do take the car to the dealer and get a complete inspection done. Saving a few thousands on the inspection charges might really hit you hard if something does go wrong later.
Old 11th August 2008, 10:50   #21
BHPian

And get us some pics of the car if possible.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:15   #22
BHPian

i would always highly recommend a W124 to anyone, preferably a 6 cylinder diesel, heres a pic of my 300D
Old 12th August 2008, 20:54   #23
BHPian

Yay!

Bought the car guys! Tomorrow, she visits Auto Hangar for a final inspection. Immediate planned mods:

1) K&N Filter
2) JVC AVX 44 Single Din screen with backup camera installed
3) Autoform Saddle Faux Leather Covers (any experienced MB Faux leather advice welcome)

Any comments/ advice welcome! Will post pics soon
Old 12th August 2008, 21:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!

Great choice. Waiting for the pictures.
Old 13th August 2008, 09:04   #25
BHPian

Congratulations, welcome to the W124 family.
Old 15th August 2008, 20:28   #26
BHPian

Thanks!

It's great to be a part of such a distinguished family. Mercedes service report came back. No major mechanical issues except for a couple old seals, bushings and the idler pulley, normal IMO for such an old car.

Very relieved.

I saw a video on Youtube, shot by a British show called "Fifth Gear". Apparantly, they wanted to see how tough the ol' W124's really were.

So they did the following:

Drove over offroad terrian, fit for Landcruisers, Hummers and Jeeps only
Submerged the car in water
Drove over it with a Monster Wheels Truck - completely
Threw a hand grenade inside and watched it explode
Shot it with a real cannon

The Merc won. Suddenly, I'm smiling, despite the 7 kmpl
Old 15th August 2008, 20:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Excellent. Have a look at the service history too. If not attended to already, expect to pay some $$$ toward a change of the wiring harness and getting rid of some rust.
I would add the throttle body actuator to the wiring harness for the post-update W124 that was sold in India.

Quote:
It's great to be a part of such a distinguished family. Mercedes service report came back. No major mechanical issues except for a couple old seals, bushings and the idler pulley, normal IMO for such an old car.

Very relieved.

I saw a video on Youtube, shot by a British show called "Fifth Gear". Apparantly, they wanted to see how tough the ol' W124's really were.

So they did the following:

Drove over offroad terrian, fit for Landcruisers, Hummers and Jeeps only
Submerged the car in water
Drove over it with a Monster Wheels Truck - completely
Threw a hand grenade inside and watched it explode
Shot it with a real cannon

The Merc won. Suddenly, I'm smiling, despite the 7 kmpl

Congratulations, dont look at the 7kmpl, neither a few hassles that you might face for the car being old. Nothing comes close to the W124 experience of late. I know it.

(Okay little correction, my childhood friend, the W123 does, but thats older)
Old 15th August 2008, 22:56   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bought the car guys! Tomorrow, she visits Auto Hangar for a final inspection. Immediate planned mods:

1) K&N Filter
2) JVC AVX 44 Single Din screen with backup camera installed
3) Autoform Saddle Faux Leather Covers (any experienced MB Faux leather advice welcome)

Any comments/ advice welcome! Will post pics soon
Congratulations on your acquisition of the 3 pointed star.happy Driving and hope to see the pics soon.
Old 16th August 2008, 03:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Screwdriva.
If you bought a E-220 fro 3.5 lakhs or less, its a steal. Depends on what work you have to get done in it.
124s are built like atank but the problem is that most o fthem are also maintained (or not maintained) like one.
The price of a E-220 wothout any mechanical work and minimal body work would be in the region of 4-4.5L.
If after spending what you have to on the car, it is mint then its a good deal as well maintained examples are hard to come by.
Use good fuel (Speed is fine) and lubricants and the car will serve you forever.
Always replace working parts with original parts.
The car in Bombay will churn out between 6-7/km.
Mine gave me 13.5kms/ltr on a highway trip. That i thought was awesome.
Welcome to the Merc owner's club.
Old 16th August 2008, 17:30   #30
BHPian

Thanks!

V16, I was just about to PM you asking for your advice. If I may ask, why did you sell yours?

I find the 4th and 5th gears particularly tall, which makes 13.5 kmpl on the highly completely believable.

1)Given the use of Synthetic, how often would you suggest I change the oil? I plan to use Xtrapremium, from IOC. They have additives and a 91 Octane rating

2) I plan to upsize the alloys from the 15 inchers riding on 195/65 to OEM 16 inch benz wheels (if I can find them) on 205/55 R 16. This shouldn't change the suspension geometry at all but give me the benefits of bigger wheels. What say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks