Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 20:32   #76
BHPian

Some Update guys...

I have managed to trade off the RunFlat Tyres with the dealer for around 15k per tyre, and i am putting in Pirelli Zero Rosso (Asymetrical) (Ultra High Performance - Y Rated Tubeless) in place of it.

Stock size: 225/50/17
Size i am putting : 245/45/17

Delivery is expected next week sometime..around 20th or 21st hopefully!
Old 13th August 2008, 21:08   #77
Senior - BHPian

InsaneD, I feel you are taking out one stiff tire and putting another stiff riding tire. If you drive on typical indian kaccha roads and need comfort go for a Michelin Energy or Pilot MXM
Old 13th August 2008, 21:52   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Some Update guys...

I have managed to trade off the RunFlat Tyres with the dealer for around 15k per tyre, and i am putting in Pirelli Zero Rosso (Asymetrical) (Ultra High Performance - Y Rated Tubeless) in place of it.

Stock size: 225/50/17
Size i am putting : 245/45/17

Delivery is expected next week sometime..around 20th or 21st hopefully!
good call...but get the michelin PS2s instead

are you getting the space saver spare wheel kit or what do you plan to do for your spare tyre...i think gettin a 17inch single alloy from a local tyre shop would be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithnk View Post
Sahil how do u know that there is a update for idrive
Is there some way to find out what my current version is and how do we know whether an update is released .
yes there is secret menu where you can get all that info...i dont remember the tricks off my head coz its complicated.

i get all such info from forums.e60.net and i tell my service chap to update the software everytime the car is at the center.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th August 2008 at 11:07. Reason: Merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post.
Old 15th August 2008, 00:05   #79
BHPian

dude,anyday the audi a4 should be your choice.
it's a mindblowing car unless u like the beemer better.one of the recent issues of autocar.july i guess has a detailed comparison.check it out and we're all waiting for your decision.
manjith_pm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th August 2008, 02:04   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
dude,anyday the audi a4 should be your choice.
it's a mindblowing car unless u like the beemer better.one of the recent issues of autocar.july i guess has a detailed comparison.check it out and we're all waiting for your decision.
I am certain you didnt read the entire thread not even the subject . Choice done car bought now its the changes in discussion. Knock knock Lol
Old 15th August 2008, 08:56   #81
BHPian

lol @ nishant! Thanks for clearing it out to him mate!

@ All : Ok, Another update: Finally settled in for the TITANIUM SILVER! hehehe... i know, been changing colors too much, but then,,, the GREY just didnt come out so good in the sun. In showroom it looks sparkling and nice, but then, in their workhop saw a grey which had come for repair, and also a silver. So the Silver it is now!

@MPower:
About Tyres. I have been reading around that the Pirelli Zero Rosso's are supposed to be very very good, max performance tyres, with good tread life and ride comfort, with reasonalbe tyre noise... and well, i have been using Pirelli's since past 13 years now, and am so so so happy with it, never ever had a problem, and they have been performing super good!

About Michelin, well, in our group we have had horrible experience with Michelins, especially the Michelin Energy. Very soft tyre, and gets ripped easily! my cousin lost 3 tyres on diff. occasions on highways due to stone hitting the sidewall and it getting a bulge! and so has another cousin of mine had similar problems in his Laura. Tyres are very soft, but get damaged easily, and also the grip isnt that good.

I am using Pirelli Dragon in my Laura, and its fantastic! again, its a MAX (ultra high) performance tyre made especially for the Middle Eastern and Asian Countries.

ONE other option that i did consider was the Yokohama ADVAN Sport. Now my research has found that it is comparable to the top tyres and in the US market it is now taking by storm! I had a set of Yokohama's in Australia for around 2 years, and they were very good! Well, i have ordered for the Pirelli's now, and its coming just for me, so this time will go with the Pirelli's and next time will try Yokohama, if not happy.

The Pirreli's Zero system supposed to be very good, hence this is my first tyre of Pirellie with the Zero system. Coz they only come out in higher rim size and wider tyre sizes only, generally 17" is the lowest.

@ Sahil: mate, i am getting the Space Saver Tyre. The showroom sales mgr was telling it it would cost around 20k with the tyre. But the Works manager was telling me it would cost around 8-10k all inclusive. Whatever it is, once i get the car delivered, then will put a purchase for that. Sahil, buying an allow and doing that way, is not going to cost me less... the tyres are for 18k each and 1 alloy of 17" would cost me around 5-7k minimum. but yes, i get a full size tyre by this option, but then.. where do i keep it? It will be jumping in my boot! even if i do get it tied down good with wilcros (which i can!) but still the carpet in the boot will get raised. because the spare wheel beneath will be double the size of the wheel well...know what i mean...?

To all (those who arn't aware of a space saver tyre system): There are restrictions on how u can drive the car with the Space Saver tyres. The max speed is 70kmph, but recommended is 50kmph. Also not recommeneded to do too many kms on that, best is to use it only till the next puncture shop. it is HALF THE WIDTH of a normal tyre that is fitted to the car. The diameter of the wheel will be the same, but the width will get halved. This is mainly to reduce extra body weight, and also increase boot space.
Mercedes comes with full spare tyres (either allow or normal rim), Audi comes with Space Saver Tyres, BMW come without any spare tyres! due to their RFTs!

Last edited by Insane Devil : 15th August 2008 at 08:58.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:04   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
About Michelin, well, in our group we have had horrible experience with Michelins, especially the Michelin Energy. Very soft tyre, and gets ripped easily! my cousin lost 3 tyres on diff. occasions on highways due to stone hitting the sidewall and it getting a bulge! and so has another cousin of mine had similar problems in his Laura. Tyres are very soft, but get damaged easily, and also the grip isnt that good.
Lovely car. Congrats! Well what you said about Michelins is quite untrue. My Michelin PP2s have suffered all kinds of punishment so far - no roads, gravel, stones, mud, high speeds, track days you name it. They have done around 20k km in a year and all i've suffered is a single puncture thanks to a really big nail. No problems whatsoever. The sidewalls of this tyre are as hard as it gets.

The PS2 is essentially the same compound as the PP2 with a more sports oriented tread pattern, significantly more grip at the cost of higher road noise.
Old 15th August 2008, 09:22   #83
Senior - BHPian

To all (those who arn't aware of a space saver tyre system): There are restrictions on how u can drive the car with the Space Saver tyres. The max speed is 70kmph, but recommended is 50kmph. Also not recommeneded to do too many kms on that, best is to use it only till the next puncture shop. it is HALF THE WIDTH of a normal tyre that is fitted to the car. The diameter of the wheel will be the same, but the width will get halved. This is mainly to reduce extra body weight, and also increase boot space.
Mercedes comes with full spare tyres (either allow or normal rim), Audi comes with Space Saver Tyres, BMW come without any spare tyres! due to their RFTs![/quote]

The Audi comes with a FULL SIZE ALLOY MOUNTED SPARE. Atleast mine did

Cheers
Old 15th August 2008, 12:28   #84
BHPian

@ Reignofchaos : I am talking about the Michelin Energy tyres mate, not all Michelins. so as u said, the pp2 might be a lovely tyre. but am a big time Pirelli fan!

@ Ricky_63: Well, lucky you mate! The new A4 comes with the SpaceSaver tyre. that i checked. So correcting my statement, not ALL Audi's come with space saver.

Last edited by Insane Devil : 15th August 2008 at 12:29.
Old 15th August 2008, 13:56   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

@Insane Devil: Firstly same pinch on the color choice

Can you please find out the exact specs of the space saver rim and tyre sizes?

8-10k is a fair price but i have my doubts on it as i too was qouted 20-25k. Do keep me updated on this.
Old 15th August 2008, 15:27   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
@Insane Devil: Firstly same pinch on the color choice

Can you please find out the exact specs of the space saver rim and tyre sizes?

8-10k is a fair price but i have my doubts on it as i too was qouted 20-25k. Do keep me updated on this.

OUCH! go slow on that pinchy mate! i am touch sensitive!

About the SpaceSaver Tyre.. my thoughts are ditto like yours. The Showrooms sales guy told me its around 20k, and works manager tells around 8-10k... Well, whatever the price be, i will have to order one..so once i get the car, i will look it up and let u know soon..gimme a weeks time.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:46   #87
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

The space saver costs around 22k, and it does come handy!
Old 19th August 2008, 08:41   #88
BHPian

Maverick! u are the man! thanks a lot for giving us the clear picture of it. Can u please do us one more favour mate?

Please find out its limitations, so that we can be careful of it while using it in future. I am surely going to order for that...

The bugger, worksmanager here, was telling me its supposed to be driving for only 5-10kms only, not more than that, i know he's outright bluffing! I think it can be driven for even upto 100-200-kms, but only thing is that MAX speed is around 70km/h on those tyres...
Please correct me if i am wrong, Maverick!
Thanks!
Old 20th August 2008, 10:35   #89
Senior - BHPian

Hey ID,

There are no specific limitations for the kms to driven on the space saver, and the speed limit is 80 kmph. The profile is 135/80 R17, I am attaching a few pics of what it looks like in the car and in the boot.Also the trim in the boot where the space saver fits has to removed in order to accomodate the design.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Passat or BMW 320d Highline or New Audi A4 - EDIT : Bought BMW 520d-dsc07963.jpg  

VW Passat or BMW 320d Highline or New Audi A4 - EDIT : Bought BMW 520d-dsc07969.jpg  

Old 20th August 2008, 11:06   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

135 !! Even the Nano will have wider tires than those :P

It probably would be a pain to drive with the spare as the rest of the tires are 225.Wouldn't a little wider tire fit in there?
What are the specifications of the spare wheel? I am not too familiar with the technicalities but have heard terms like PCD and Offset etc :P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks