Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 02:09   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Yes, Sahil I got the keychain free. Used your trick and told them that after buying such an expensive car, the least they can do is provide me the keychain.

Will post pics of the Nightvision in action on the weekend. However, I would have preferred if they had given Heads-up display or Paddle shifts instead of nightvision. ( It's overhyped IMO ).
We think quite alike in both situations

The first thing that came to my mind when they announced the highline with nightvision was that the heads-up or paddle shifts would be a far more useful feature. My cousins 545i in the states had the heads-up and i simply loved it, especially while using the GPS. I was very keen to get it kitted as an option but the dealer said it was not offer nor was it feasible as the entire dashboard assembly has to be changed.

The nightvision is fascinating but i don't see myself looking at the iDrive instead of the road directly when i'm gunning the car on a dark road.

Btw, what FE figures are you guys getting on the 530d in peak traffic drives and highway runs?
Old 4th November 2008, 12:57   #32
BHPian

Yeah, Sahil the whole point of Nightvision is defeated when you need to keep looking at the iDrive screen while driving, especially at high speeds. So, even I would have preferred the heads-up or Paddle shifts over this any day.

I have only clocked about 350 kms in the last 3 weeks , as I only use the car on weekends. So far I'm getting an average on 7.5 kmpl, though I expect the figure to go up after I cross 1K or 2K kms.

On the other hand, I am considering another 520d, and have heard that the fuel economy figures in that will be closer to 9 or 10 kmpl ( city driving ) , as its a 4cyl engine.

Will keep you posted.
Old 4th November 2008, 13:43   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I get around 8.5 in the city & 12ish on the highway on my 525d so i suppose the 520d should be around 9-10 due to the 2 lesser cylinders.

Is 7.5kmpl the iDrives calculation or actual? I guess you haven't even used up a full tank yet so if its what you see on the iDrive, you should get minus 0.5 or so on the actual.

If your 520d is going to have you sitting in the backseat all the time, i suggest you wait for the new Superb. I checked it out at the Paris motor show last month and loved the immense legroom, great chauffeur driven car.

Last edited by Sahil : 4th November 2008 at 13:48.
Old 4th November 2008, 15:15   #34
BHPian

The 7.5 kmpl figure was from the iDrive itself, I need to compare that with the tank-full method.

Actually, the 520d will be a daily drive, driven by me. I was seriously considering the A4 ( diesel, even heard they are getting the 3.0TDI engine for the A4 next year ), but Audi does not even have a service centre, let alone a showroom in Chennai yet. ( apparently, for the past 1 year, they have been assuring us that it will be operational in 2 months....wonder what calender these guys use....

Also, I like the secure package and BSI programme from BMW. This gives a lot of peace of mind, unlike Audi.

I still feel the guys at Audi need to be more pro-active and customer centric. BMW seems to have got this spot-on.

Last edited by ecclipse78 : 4th November 2008 at 15:17.
Old 4th November 2008, 15:26   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 7.5 kmpl figure was from the iDrive itself, I need to compare that with the tank-full method.

Actually, the 520d will be a daily drive, driven by me. I was seriously considering the A4 ( diesel, even heard they are getting the 3.0TDI engine for the A4 next year ), but Audi does not even have a service centre, let alone a showroom in Chennai yet. ( apparently, for the past 1 year, they have been assuring us that it will be operational in 2 months....wonder what calender these guys use....

Also, I like the secure package and BSI programme from BMW. This gives a lot of peace of mind, unlike Audi.

I still feel the guys at Audi need to be more pro-active and customer centric. BMW seems to have got this spot-on.
I don't have much regard for Audi too, a few years back they sent me the A6 for a TD and the damn electronic system failed of the brand new car. Besides there have been several complaints around the forum and in automags on their quality of late.

Why don't you use the 530d as your daily drive?

For me the point of getting the diesel(besides the power) was to use it extensively as a daily drive, my car has clocked 21,000kms in the past year.
Old 4th November 2008, 15:55   #36
BHPian

The ride in the 530d is a little harsh, due to the lower profile and wider tyres with 18 inch rims

I sat in a 520d and was happy with the ride quality and pep for daily use.

So, would prefer the 520d for daily use with better ride and fuel economy and use the 530d on weekends, where I can open her up on the highways.

Have still not taken a decision though.
Old 4th November 2008, 17:12   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The ride in the 530d is a little harsh, due to the lower profile and wider tyres with 18 inch rims

I sat in a 520d and was happy with the ride quality and pep for daily use.

So, would prefer the 520d for daily use with better ride and fuel economy and use the 530d on weekends, where I can open her up on the highways.

Have still not taken a decision though.
Easy solution: Get rid of the RFTs, switch to regular tubeless.

I know of someone that has the 19inch 166m(M5) wheels on his 530i with regular tubeless and claims his ride quality is even better than 17inchers with RFTs.

Another member on the forum switched over to tubeless at the time of delivery itself and was raving about the immense improvement in the ride quality.
Old 4th November 2008, 21:40   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Did you get that keychain free? I had to blackmail my dealership that even my NHC came with a free keychain and you guys can't give me one

Can one of you "highline" boys post pics of the nightvision in action.
i got the keychain free. Didn't u guys get it?
neways, the night vision is awesome. also is the 6 cylinder grunt.
will post the pictures soon.
Old 9th November 2008, 23:25   #39
BHPian

And if besides the key chain...if you like some additional stuff from their lifestyle collection, be sure to ask for some discount. On your lucky day, you will be able to get amazing prices.

The Xpo just got over as well...& the showrooms will be flush with goodies to sell for a song. Recommended...to try your luck!
Old 22nd November 2008, 16:57   #40
BHPian

Good choice bro. I personally went for the A6 3.2. Post some pics bro.
Old 14th June 2009, 01:45   #41
BHPian

Merc E class or A6 or 5 series?

i guess the title explains everything! but still here it goes.

Guys my uncle (maternal side) wants to buy a car in the bracket of (45-50 lacs) for the kids of the house and i am from that house only . now i want a diesel car. running wont be much and not a daily ride for sure!

He has given me three options to choose from Merc E 280 CDI or Audi A6 (3.0L) or BMW 5 Series. now my confusion is which one to buy. Please throw some light on which car will more suitable. inside cabin space and rear seat leg room is of great importance. Is there any great difference in BMW 520 and 530? pardon my ignorance but i have no knowledge about this catergory of cars.
Old 14th June 2009, 01:53   #42
Team-BHP Support

audi a6 3l tdi is the car to get. it just got a facelift and now has the same sexy leds that are on the a4. it is the best all round car between the 3.

the 2nd option is the 5. pure driving pleasure.

last comes the e. youll get really really good deals on this.
Old 14th June 2009, 02:26   #43
BHPian

thanks akshay! i personally want either the audi or bmw. merc is last on my list as well.

any known issues with A6? and how is the A.S.S of audi overall? delhi guys please help me with some feedback about after sales service in delhi n NCR.
Old 14th June 2009, 02:40   #44
BHPian

dude get the 520D..i was in the same boat 2 months back..had test drove all cars! 520D was the best car overall to me and the gas mileage ( if you care about it at all ) is great too. I used the extra money saved up to get better rims and into the piggy bank for another car I am looking to get.

Call up BMW Studio in Delhi and they can get you a good deal. If you are considering it soon I can call up my relative who is a sales manager there to get you further discounts.
Old 14th June 2009, 07:20   #45
BHPian

Volvo S80 is another option. Even this car is good.

Most Viewed