Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2008, 14:48   #1
BHPian

Bmw 520d or Audi A6 or Volvo S80-EDIT- Bought 530D highline

heya guys,
kaustubh here.
well, its time to buy a new car to avail the benefits of depreciation. We wanted to buy a luxury sedan. I'd short listed three cars.
1. BMW 520d
2. Audi A6
3. Volvo S80

Actually, first i wanted to go for an SUV, even test drove the q7. Though i didn't find it practical to buy a 5mil+ SUV. Hence i convinced my dad to buy a good sedan.
Current cars with me are (according to purchase)
Skoda Octavia vRs, Hyundai sonata Embera, MercedesBenz C class, and recently purchased Honda accord. I didn't include the E class coz we already have a three ponted star in our family.
Today while travelling, i came across the Volvo. I liked its road presence. It was a V8 though. Still i felt like this car is made for a class n not for the mass.

I would appreciate any input you guys give which will further help me in buying a good car. Awaiting your replies.
Thanking you in Anticipation.
Kaustubh
Old 18th August 2008, 15:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

"Read " that Volvo quality and gizmos are not on par with rival standards.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:07   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Go in for 5 if you love to drive otherwise its audi for you.

I find Volvo to be very Boring.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:37   #4
BHPian

shut your eyes and get the 520d, the volvo is too boring and the audi is due for a facelift soon.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:43   #5
BHPian

I say if you can wait for the facelift on the A6.They saw its going to have theat string of l.e.ds like the R8 and the new A4.
Old 18th August 2008, 17:14   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

520d is your best option. Although the 530d would be an icing on the cake provided your budget permits and you are really really power hungry.
A6 is a great car but due for a face lift so no point buying one now.(Unless you get a huge discount)
Volvo - Booooooringgg IMO. Moreover it doesn't have really match up to the competition either, i almost deem it as a flop.

Last edited by Sahil : 18th August 2008 at 17:16.
Old 18th August 2008, 20:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

Is your Vrs silver ? We saw it when we were bring the JBL twins to Bangalore during one of our adventures
Old 18th August 2008, 22:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

The s80 may look boring but it has more road presence than the 5series. And if your looking at comfort and Safety. Look nowhere other that the volvo.
Bmw has a much more stiffer ride due to those runflats.

Id say go for volvo.
Old 19th August 2008, 01:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
The s80 may look boring but it has more road presence than the 5series.
Thats a first !

Btw isn't that statment contridictory?
Old 19th August 2008, 09:44   #10
BHPian

thnx for the replies guys. btw the volvo has arranged me a test drive here in pune. will TD it as well as the 520d. as far as the A6 is concerned, actually i didn't like its looks. (actually i was comparing it with the A4 )
Old 19th August 2008, 13:17   #11
BHPian

hey Kau_ Therock!

The 520d is ur best choice, i reckon, And as per ur budget..the Volvo s80 and 520d are similarly priced - at around 41-44lk onroad, 530d at around 50-51 lk onroad, while the Audi A6 is not less than 51lk for 2.7lt and 54-55lk for 3.0lt.

The Audi A6 is good, but then, when u want to pay that amount, then the 530d rocks!, as Sahil said..icing on the cake! I testdrove both the 530d and Audi A6 3.0tdi, and the 530d was much faster. The A6 has a notable turbolag, and after a certain rpm u are getting the boost. otherwise, the Audi A6 is also a nice car, but has dated looks.

The new A6 will not be here before mid next year, and here is the photo gallery of the new A6, not much of a difference i see, just cosmetic upgrades, and still the BMW 5 Series looks knockout!

2009AudiA6
Old 6th September 2008, 18:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ironic as it may sound - on a forum of car crazy bunch of members, the VOLVO has not been rated well. Surprising to say the least. The VOLVO is the numero uno for safety standards worldwide !! Don't we all know that ? The exclusiveity factor goes in it's favour. The road presence is huge. It is a class apart for sure - but that is my opinion.

Even the VOLVO SUV is nice to my mind, but the Sedan sure looks stately.

I think we need to take a serious look at it, and rate it's merits vs the 5 series or the A6. It was on my radar & will remain - BUT I for one cannot afford cars in the price band !!

Cheers
Old 7th September 2008, 00:34   #13
BHPian

I have driven the S80 quite a bit, and for many years now. [A close friend owns an S80 and S60 in Singapore]

The Volvo is definately a great car, truely for the person who doesn't care about brand image [As far as India is concerned]...It is extremely comfortable, and the driver's seat is a great place to be in. It might not outhandle a 5 or outaccellerate an A6, but for those who don't care about 0-100 in 8 seconds considering Indian roads and traffic conditions, the S80 should definately be a contender in that segment. Shame that they couldn't build the right image for the brand in India...
Old 7th September 2008, 03:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kau_therock View Post
2. Audi A6
3. Volvo S80
Today while travelling, i came across the Volvo. I liked its road presence. It was a V8 though. Still i felt like this car is made for a class n not for the mass.
I'm going to leave the BMW out of the equation here and recommend the V8's - you choose. I'd take the Audi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Ironic as it may sound - on a forum of car crazy bunch of members, the VOLVO has not been rated well. Surprising to say the least. The VOLVO is the numero uno for safety standards worldwide !! Don't we all know that ? The exclusiveity factor goes in it's favour.
The Volvo is a good car, no doubts, however, their main selling point for the past so many years has been safety. Now, most new cars have matching safety features, which doesn't leave Volvo too much to boast about.

Also, although Volvo puts up the S80 as a competitor to Audi/BMW/Mercedes, buyers in this premium segment still consider it a bit inferior to the 3 german behemoths.
It can't match up to the driving pleasure pf a BMW, or the image of the 3-pointed star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
The Volvo is definately a great car, truely for the person who doesn't care about brand image [As far as India is concerned]...It is extremely comfortable, and the driver's seat is a great place to be in. It might not outhandle a 5 or outaccellerate an A6, but for those who don't care about 0-100 in 8 seconds considering Indian roads and traffic conditions, the S80 should definately be a contender in that segment. Shame that they couldn't build the right image for the brand in India...
...or instead of vying for the top-spot, they could do better by putting up the S60 against the Germans, in India.
Old 7th September 2008, 11:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

@ Kau... the volvo is not all that bad.. in white she looks great.. also in a V8 avtaar, it rocks! i would recommend u test drive her thoroughly, then decide.. it would be a good buy if you dont want to be noticed.. else you have the Beemers!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks