Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2008, 10:03   #1
BHPian

BMW 3-Series TD car - Discount 7 lakhs

Hi,

One of my friend has decided to upgrade his car. I have been pushing for a 3'er. Somebody has offered him the BMW(320d) TD car from the showroom for -7/8 lakhs. I am against the idea. He said if he does pick up this vehicle he would be the first owner. Do you guys think its worth it? The car has apparently run 8k kms. So basically he would be getting the Beemer at about the Camry's price.

Taking a TD of the car today. Let the comments flow guys.

Cheers
Old 12th September 2008, 10:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Is it the 2007 or 2008 model? they modified quite a bit in the 2008 model.

Also if the showroom is selling it you could negotiate a warranty as well then see if you can pay the extra amount and get the comprehensive maintenance. Even if the maintenance plan costs 2L for 5 years it would be worth it at camry's price I feel.
Old 12th September 2008, 10:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfx View Post
Hi,

Somebody has offered him the BMW(320d) TD car from the showroom for -7/8 lakhs. So basically he would be getting the Beemer at about the Camry's price.

Cheers
Is this a typo ie 7/8 lakhs or the actual price. About the camry's price, how come 7/8 lakhs for a camry. Is this the old second hand camry you are comparing it to.

Hey now i see it properly. Its surely minus 7/8 lakhs. It all makes sense now. In that case, better ask for a higher discount or stay away. Also do edit the post so that it is perfectly clear to everyone.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 12th September 2008 at 10:19. Reason: adding to original post
Old 12th September 2008, 10:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its a steal of a deal!

There's no way of knowing the history of the vehicle though.

If they commit to back-up and service on paper for a timeframe like viddy has mentioned then its swell. Also get someone to scrutinize the paperwork very well as to terms and conditions.

These are tanks after all... so its not like buying a regular TD car from say Tata,Fiat,Maruti, Hyundai etc
Old 12th September 2008, 10:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey, is this 7-8 lakha less or just 7-8 lak?? If its the latter, its a steal, provided u manage to get some warranty on it, but for 7 lak less than the original cost, i wouldnt recommend it.
Old 12th September 2008, 10:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty sure it is 7 lakhs less than original cost. If they give warranty it will be worth it. Maybe you can negotiate more.
Old 12th September 2008, 10:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Hey, is this 7-8 lakha less or just 7-8 lak?? If its the latter, its a steal, provided u manage to get some warranty on it, but for 7 lak less than the original cost, i wouldnt recommend it.
It is obviously 7/8 Lakhs less. If it was just 7 lakhs, there need be no discussions. But I feel the same red, it is not worth taking a beemer for a few lakhs less. Get a new one instead. And I am not sure he will be the first owner either.
Old 12th September 2008, 10:30   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

You need to get the car checked properly before closing the deal. Obviously it has not run 8kms if it's a test drive car hence the actual mileage is anyones guess.
A friend of mine once bought a Skoda TD car and believe it or not, the car actualy caught fire in traffic ! Luckily he managed to escape out with a friend and within seconds the entire car was up in flames.
Make the showroom guys change the parts that have been worn out, new tires(this way he can switch the run-flats) and brake pads should be top on the list.
Old 12th September 2008, 10:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

redsfx i would suggest your friend go for it. the car at a discount of 7 to 8 lacs is good. these cars are good even beyond 1 lacs kms and the built quality is very solid. you could ask the person at the showroom to give you the production date of the car. this would assertain the year of the car. Have the car checked and ask for the service report of it. This would give you an insight into anything that would go wrong or is worn out in the car. A TD car is not Kept in the best of conditions as everyone has different driving styles, so a service and check up is a must.

Like pointed out by vid6639 you could negotiate for the maintainance plan. it would be worth it.
Old 12th September 2008, 10:35   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
You need to get the car checked properly before closing the deal. Obviously it has not run 8kms if it's a test drive car hence the actual mileage is anyones guess.
he mentioned 8k kms, not 8kms.
Old 12th September 2008, 10:36   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
It is obviously 7/8 Lakhs less. If it was just 7 lakhs, there need be no discussions. But I feel the same red, it is not worth taking a beemer for a few lakhs less. Get a new one instead. And I am not sure he will be the first owner either.
Thats why he's mentioned it as -7/8

Given that TD cars are ripped both by prospective customers and mechanics and everyone else in the vicinity, what happens to these cars once they decide that its no longer a TD car ? Sent back to the factory ?
Old 12th September 2008, 10:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Given that TD cars are ripped both by prospective customers mechanics and everyone else in the vicinity, what happens to these cars once they decide that its no longer a TD car ? Sent back to the factory ?
Mechanics at any service center ripp TD cars or Owners cars come for service. The TD car is kept for a certain time frame and belongs to the company. Once a Replacement arrives the car is sold off at a discount. These are not cars come on Carnet, they are regular production cars sanctioned to the country.
My friend had bought the TD E class of Mercedes and there was no trouble at all with the car. Full service history and warrenty was given as it would for any other regular car sold by them. I was offered the same but since i have one i did not want another.
Old 12th September 2008, 11:09   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For a moment there, I thought that the TD car is being offered for 7 lakhs! I have changed the title to a more suitable name.

This deal is not any more lucrative than buying a 3 series from the used car market. Lots of second-hand 3 series floating around; in fact, your friend could bargain for a better deal on a 1.xx year old single driver car. Look at this TD car as a used car only.

Thus, the simple question is : would you buy a single-owner single-driver used car or one that has been driven by 200 odd people, many of whom would have "ripped" it bad? The only advantage with the TD car is that he will be the first owner on paper. Big deal. Good chance that the odometer has been tampered by the dealership too.

My suggestion : Skip.
Old 12th September 2008, 12:22   #14
BHPian

It is selling at a discount of 7 to 8 lakhs. Can be bargained at for more. I have adviced my friend to keep away but he seems to be interested. Will anyways take a TD(who can say no to a Beemer TD). Bargain hard and see what comes out. Keep your suggestions flowing as I might take the TD this evening.

How does the paperwork for these cars pan out?
Old 12th September 2008, 12:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For a moment there, I thought that the TD car is being offered for 7 lakhs! I have changed the title to a more suitable name.

This deal is not any more lucrative than buying a 3 series from the used car market. Lots of second-hand 3 series floating around; in fact, your friend could bargain for a better deal on a 1.xx year old single driver car. Look at this TD car as a used car only.

Thus, the simple question is : would you buy a single-owner single-driver used car or one that has been driven by 200 odd people, many of whom would have "ripped" it bad? The only advantage with the TD car is that he will be the first owner on paper. Big deal. Good chance that the odometer has been tampered by the dealership too.

My suggestion : Skip.
Well said, GTO. In fact, 'rippped' is a modest word. I'd have used a more apt word which is close to it

Most Viewed