Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2008, 16:12   #1

BMW 320d or New Merc C Class 220CDI

Hi all,

I am a newbie to Team BHP and have gone through mostly all the threads related to my topic i.e. Which car should I go for Mercedes C Class 220 CDI or BMW 320d.

I have also read nick's issue of BMW and also some problems related to Mercedes technical faults and I have researched a lot on net but couldn't come to a conclusion.

Finally I come to know about this forum and i was really impressed with the kind of member's active on this forum/website, You people have a great knowledge and experience which you have gathered from other users problems..

I think you people can help me to choose a vehicle.

Price details of BMW 320d

Base Model of 320d = Rs 32,00,000
32d Highline = Rs 33,04,000

Price details of Merc C Class 220 CDI

Merc C Class Classic (MT) = 32,00,000 + Metallic Paint Cost(i.e. 65,000)
Merc C Class Elegance (AT) = 34,45,000 + Metallic Paint Cost(i.e. 65,000)

Now the problem is that, which car is a complete value for money and technically durable. The major problem as a customer is that, that a Merc representative points out all the bad things about BMW and vice a versa. So how can one decide.

I have had the test drive of both the vehicles, no doubt Merc was much more smoother than BMW but BMW has more sporty looks better handling (but the tyre issue is an area of my concern)..

Guys i really need to know some differential points among both the cars.

M scared after reading Nicks experience with BMW.

Hope to see response from you all soon.

Thanks n Regards
Future Rulz

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.

Post MOVED to the relevant sub forum.

Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th September 2008 at 16:17. Reason: Font tags
Old 15th September 2008, 16:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont judge a brand by one persons review, IMO that guy seemed like a fraud as he had gone all over the internet spreading this issue. Not to forget he had done some modifactions to the car too. In such a case i would give the benifit of doubt to the manufacterer. On a personal note, I have been using a BMW for almost a year now and have had no issues whatsoever, on the other hand my previous merc had tons of electronic issues right from the start. Although mercedes has now ironed out several faults and i believe the new C is pretty reliable too.

If you must choose between the two cars, i'd pick the C 220 CDi. I find it a better look and fresher car although it begs for better alloys. The 3 series is due for a facelift too soon so i'd stay away for the time being unless you get a good discount now or are willing to wait for the facelift.

But if i were you, i'd take the new A4. I haven't been a big fan of Audis but the A4 is very appealing, maybe i'm just smitten by those LEDs
Old 15th September 2008, 17:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

You haven't said if you want to buy MT or AT or if you are neutral about type of transmission. BMW's come only with AT. I don't understand how it's possible to get the 'ultimate driving expereince' with an AT.
Old 15th September 2008, 17:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Dont judge a brand by one persons review, IMO that guy seemed like a fraud as he had gone all over the internet spreading this issue. Not to forget he had done some modifactions to the car too. In such a case i would give the benifit of doubt to the manufacterer. On a personal note, I have been using a BMW for almost a year now and have had no issues whatsoever, on the other hand my previous merc had tons of electronic issues right from the start. Although mercedes has now ironed out several faults and i believe the new C is pretty reliable too.

If you must choose between the two cars, i'd pick the C 220 CDi. I find it a better look and fresher car although it begs for better alloys. The 3 series is due for a facelift too soon so i'd stay away for the time being unless you get a good discount now or are willing to wait for the facelift.

But if i were you, i'd take the new A4. I haven't been a big fan of Audis but the A4 is very appealing, maybe i'm just smitten by those LEDs
As you have mentioned that BMW 3 series is due for a face lift, how soon can it be done...you have idea ???
Old 15th September 2008, 17:06   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
You haven't said if you want to buy MT or AT or if you are neutral about type of transmission. BMW's come only with AT. I don't understand how it's possible to get the 'ultimate driving expereince' with an AT.
You'd be surprised buddy
Old 15th September 2008, 17:06   #6

Quote:
I am Ok with both Manual as well as Automatic transmission.
Old 15th September 2008, 17:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You'd be surprised buddy
I am sure the AT would be awesome. I have sampled VW's DSG and it really amazed me. AT's are getting better, no doubt about that. What I meant was that there is something magical about the whole act of engaging the clutch then shifting gears. It's that abstract pleasure that I was referring to .

Anyway, I really don't understand why BMW insists on not giving MT in India. They offer MT even in North America so why not here? Even Mercedes doesn't offer MT in the E class and above. At least, give it as an option.

Last edited by amit : 15th September 2008 at 17:37.
Old 15th September 2008, 17:43   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Anyway, I really don't understand why BMW insists on not giving MT in India. They offer MT even in North America so why not here? Even Mercedes doesn't offer MT in the E class and above. At least, give it as an option.
This has been debated,discussed,rambled upon several times here... one simple reason No Demand ! The reason why the C class even comes in MT is because the taxi fleet buyers demand for it to save costs, besides that there are barely any regular buyers who opt for MT.
Old 15th September 2008, 17:48   #9

Quote:
This has been debated,discussed,rambled upon several times here... one simple reason No Demand ! The reason why the C class even comes in MT is because the taxi fleet buyers demand for it to save costs, besides that there are barely any regular buyers who opt for MT.
Sahil as a bmw user i think you are the right person to answer this question of mine...how often do the tyres of your bmw get deflated as i was told by the sales rep that the car does not come with a spare tyre and every time your tyre gets deflated you need to get it replaced with the new one ..is it true and if yes then is there any solution to it.

Quote:
I am sure the AT would be awesome. I have sampled VW's DSG and it really amazed me. AT's are getting better, no doubt about that. What I meant was that there is something magical about the whole act of engaging the clutch then shifting gears. It's that abstract pleasure that I was referring to .

I am more for AT, the major reason is that all my cars are MT, So i haven't drven a AT car yet and also i personally feel that AT gives more drive comfort than MT.

Last edited by ajmat : 15th September 2008 at 18:09.
Old 15th September 2008, 18:03   #10
BHPian

at Furture Rulz, any reason that you are not considering the new Audi A4 which is in the market right now? its a total fresh look and got lots of goodies packed in.
Old 15th September 2008, 18:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by A S H V I N View Post
at Furture Rulz, any reason that you are not considering the new Audi A4 which is in the market right now? its a total fresh look and got lots of goodies packed in.
I was expecting this question to be asked, the reason for not considering audi is my dad, he doesn't like audi and according to him the audi is less popular and the after sales service is poor

As he had asked few of his friends who have audi a4 & a6..so this is the reason for which i have not compared audi with my choice of cars..

but i welcome the comments on the new audi as well and if really it good and the service quality has improved now. then do let me know ..

with a brief comparison between my all the 3 cars.

Regards
Future Rulz
Old 15th September 2008, 18:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

, it is definetly worthwhile to give the new A4 a close and detailed look before deciding anything.
Old 15th September 2008, 18:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Future_Rulz welcome to the forum and hope you have a great time here.
comming to your question.
Please do let us know if you are going to self drive the car or have it driven for you. Both your options are driver oriented.

The BMW is nice, sporty looking and good interiors. the gearbox is not that smooth and the steering wheel feels like your driving a truck. the rear seats are comfortable but lack leg room for a tall person.
The c220 is nice too, not sporty but you can make it by fitting the sports grill which is an option. the interiors are good too and has the inbuilt bluetooth for your phone that is standard (very thoughtfull of them). the gearbox is very smooth and a pleasure to drive. the steering is light and nice. the legroom at the rear is also bad for a tall person.
we do have a 325i in the family but my vote is for the C220 cdi. i was going to buy this at one time but have changed for the 520d. Do have a look at this as well.

@ Amit the automatics have come a long way from what they were. I have shifted from being a stick shift guy to an automatics guy. the driving comfort in traffic is excellent and there is less fatigue. the automatics come with tiptronic so you have the best of both worlds. As Sahil said there is less demand for the manual transmission by buyers.
Old 15th September 2008, 21:42   #14
BHPian

Location: Key West, FL - East Brunswick, NJ - New Delhi, INDIA

hey Future_Rulz,

You might want to ask your neighborhood Mercedes-Benz dealer about the C220 CDI Avantgarde that is being launched very shorty. It has all the missing features the Elegence was missing compared to the BMW 320d like front and back parking sensors, apparently better leather, xenon headlamps, harmon/kardon speakers, fully automatic front seats and steerin wheel, 3 setting seat memory package, everything that the C230 has basically except for the 7 speed automatic.

I know all this because i booked mine a month ago and just waiting for it to be launched.

Hope this little information will help making your decision and while comparing the two cars again.

Also nothing against BMW as i simply love them but the reason i did not go for the 3 series is because it is already in its midlife and getting a facelift soon as you already know. But no matter which one you choose, youre going to love them both.

So anyways, good luck buddy. If you have any questions let me know.
Old 16th September 2008, 01:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolavi88 View Post
everything that the C230 has basically except for the 7 speed automatic.
koolavi88 my father and i were driven to the mercedes stockyard in the C220 CDI Avantgarde and i think it did have a 7 speed Automatic. I remember my friend from mercedes telling me all the features of the car and the gearbox being the same as my merc. mine is a 7 speed automatic. i shall then also confirm on this with the mercedes guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks