Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 02:36   #16
Team-BHP Support

help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Rulz View Post
with a brief comparison between my all the 3 cars.

Here're a couple of threads to start you off:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...ught-530d.html (Help! Confused between Audi A4 3.2 quattro or BMW 530i. EDIT : Bought 530D!!)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...0d-523i-4.html
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxur...4-2-0-tdi.html (AUDI A4 or BMW 320I Edit: Bought A4 2.0 TDi)

Comparisons, etc.
Your tyre query has also been answered in one of these threads.
Old 16th September 2008, 10:42   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sahil as a bmw user i think you are the right person to answer this question of mine...how often do the tyres of your bmw get deflated as i was told by the sales rep that the car does not come with a spare tyre and every time your tyre gets deflated you need to get it replaced with the new one ..is it true and if yes then is there any solution to it.
The car does not come with a spare wheel because it's not needed. BMWs are fitted with run-flat tires which are the safest tires money can buy, you can drive 150kms @ 80km/hr with a completely blown tire. For more info use google or see one of the videos on youtube on runflats you will be amazed.

On the downside, to provide safety the tires walls are very solid and develop a hard ride. I would claim the ride quality is just about acceptable, but definatly not as good as the E-class. However you always have the option to sell off the tires on delivery and put it regular tubeless, we have a fellow member here that did the same and reckons the ride quality is now superior to the E-class.

I have had 3 punctures already and there is no need to replace the tires, the dealership probably is trying to lure you into doing this as most customers don't have much knowledge on these tires so to be on the safe side.
All my 3 punctures were repaired the same way a regular tubeless tire is repaired.
Old 16th September 2008, 10:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The car does not come with a spare wheel because it's not needed. BMWs are fitted with run-flat tires which are the safest tires money can buy, you can drive 150kms @ 80km/hr with a completely blown tire. For more info use google or see one of the videos on Youtube on runflats you will be amazed.

On the downside, to provide safety the tires walls are very solid and develop a hard ride. I would claim the ride quality is just about acceptable, but definatly not as good as the E-class. However you always have the option to sell off the tires on delivery and put it regular tubeless, we have a fellow member here that did the same and reckons the ride quality is now superior to the E-class.

I have had 3 punctures already and there is no need to replace the tires, the dealership probably is trying to lure you into doing this as most customers don't have much knowledge on these tires so to be on the safe side.
All my 3 punctures were repaired the same way a regular tubeless tire is repaired.
But Sahil how can one get the tyres repaired when there is no spare tyre, to best of my knowledge if you drive your car with a punctured tyre then the tyre gets ripped off and then you need to get it replaced only.

Also one more query that can a normal tubeless tyre repair centre change this tyre as i was told by the dealer that it has some 64 bit microchip sensors attached to the tyre etc ?

Hey i have seen the new BMW 3 Series on the international site. only 4 exterior components have been changed. New V Cut on the bonnet , Tail Light, Front Grile and shape of front bumper. Rest is the same, no change in the interior and theface lift will be done by the end of 1st quater of 2009 i.e by march end.

Speedy, i liked BMW 520d but there are two points which are stopping me 1st one is the car's 7 year period for the body shell change is due in 2010 beginning, 2nd is that i feel that for the age group of 22-27 3series is more suitable.

But the major reason is the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Future_Rulz welcome to the forum and hope you have a great time here.
comming to your question.
Please do let us know if you are going to self drive the car or have it driven for you. Both your options are driver oriented.

The BMW is nice, sporty looking and good interiors. the gearbox is not that smooth and the steering wheel feels like your driving a truck. the rear seats are comfortable but lack leg room for a tall person.
The c220 is nice too, not sporty but you can make it by fitting the sports grill which is an option. the interiors are good too and has the inbuilt bluetooth for your phone that is standard (very thoughtfull of them). the gearbox is very smooth and a pleasure to drive. the steering is light and nice. the legroom at the rear is also bad for a tall person.
we do have a 325i in the family but my vote is for the C220 cdi. i was going to buy this at one time but have changed for the 520d. Do have a look at this as well.
Speedy, i liked BMW 520d but there are two points which are stopping me 1st one is the car's 7 year period for the body shell change is due in 2010 beginning, 2nd is that i feel that for the age group of 22-27 3series is more suitable.

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2008 at 13:52. Reason: Please use the EDIT button instead of typing one post after another!
Old 16th September 2008, 12:26   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Between the C220 and the 320D, the Benz is the winner. Undoubtedly. The C220 is faster (more horses), has an infinitely better ride, more room on the inside and comes with a great 6 speed manual. The only advantage that the 320D has over the C is better handling, but the C has superb poise / grip too. Neither of us are that pro-grade a driver to exploit the 5 - 10% handling advantage. The 320D rides much harder than the C. Plus, it has a very heavy steering within the city....compared to the light C. Neither of them score on looks in my books.

The new C seems to score better on the realibility front, vis a vis the old C Class. Not too many problems with the electronics (surprisingly!!). Only the odd issue with the sunroof, tyre pressure monitor and dicky closing mechanism. With the 320D, you get the option of 5 year service coverage - a huge advantage IMO. Some Benz dealers (like Auto Hangar) have started offering 2+2 warranty coverage for Rs. 60,000. Check with your dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
But if i were you, i'd take the new A4. I haven't been a big fan of Audis but the A4 is very appealing, maybe i'm just smitten by those LEDs
Test the new A4 diesel and you will change your opinion. FWD, nose-heavy nature and lifeless steering. And it doesn't feel anywhere as powerful as the new C220 and the 320D highline. The C / 3 are far more satisfying drives. The petrol A4 is an absolute stonker, but works out to near 50 lakhs OTR Mumbai.
Old 16th September 2008, 13:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Point taken Future Rulz. IMO the pictures of the new 5 series dont have too much of external changes. People would not refrain from purchasing the car when the body is going to change in 2010. Atleast this does not stop me from buying it.
My practical side would say if i am getting a bigger car at difference which is not too much, i would go in for that. By the way i am 29 yet. It is a personal choice and my vote is for the C220 cdi over the 320d for sure.

@ GTO .
Old 17th September 2008, 14:50   #21
evo
BHPian

Mercedes has crazy service bills. Atleast in the BMW, you can get their service package and there is a ceiling to the amount of cash you`ll spend on service.

Of all the three I love the Audi, though I like the 3.2 FSI more! After the Audi its got to be the merc since the BMW 3 is bangled beyond redemption. But somehow the merc doesnt feel special enough. The Audi feels hugely special, the Beemer somewhat special and IMHO the merc feels like a "chota" accord.
Old 17th September 2008, 15:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

My bro recently went to Navnit motors Bmw at andheri to buy a Brand new 3series. But they showed him a used 530i(i think) 8months old for around the same price of a new 3series.
He opted for the used 530i. They'v given him an additional maintainence plan too.
So try looking at pre-owned e's and 5's if possible. Its a great buy i think.
Old 17th September 2008, 17:49   #23

Thanks guys for all the Responses and Suggestions.

Now I have all the fact n figures which i needed to decide which car i should buy, I just need to discuss it with dad once and then i'll go for it.

Cheers!
Future_Rulz
Old 21st September 2008, 04:21   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

danlan- thats a pretty sweet deal your brother got. Its amazing how petrol cars loose value so soon, the 530i was always a slow seller as performance tests showed figures neck-to-neck with the 525d. It really wasnt worth it and now with the updated version having nightvision it was bound to depreciate fast. Do check if its clean and not an accident car. Nonetheless a free maintaince plan is an icing on the cake.
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:12   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Mercedes has crazy service bills. Atleast in the BMW, you can get their service package and there is a ceiling to the amount of cash you`ll spend on service.
Actually, all three Germans are equally atrocious in their cost of upkeep. I remember posting a calculation way back when Sahil put up the BMW 3 / 5 year coverage rates. Net net, servicing a Benz came up to about the same $$$ as the 5 package. Thats of course if parts don't fail (which they will BTW ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
But they showed him a used 530i(i think) 8months old for around the same price of a new 3series.
He opted for the used 530i. They'v given him an additional maintainence plan too.
That's a steal! I guess he bought it for low-30's? Just goes to show that premium petrol sedans depreciate like stink.
Old 24th September 2008, 11:30   #26

Friends, after a long discussion with dad, we both came to a conclusion that we should go for BMW 520d as Merc is also planing to change the E-Class in 2009 and also the price difference between 320d & 520d is just of 6 lakhs. So by paying just 6 lakhs more there'll be a complete segment change.

What say ???
Old 24th September 2008, 12:51   #27
evo
BHPian

Sounds logical, not to mention that the 5 looks way better than the three! Good thinking! What colour?! hehe
Old 24th September 2008, 13:01   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends, after a long discussion with dad, we both came to a conclusion that we should go for BMW 520d as Merc is also planing to change the E-Class in 2009 and also the price difference between 320d & 520d is just of 6 lakhs. So by paying just 6 lakhs more there'll be a complete segment change.

What say ???
I had a gut feeling this thread's outcome would land up with the 520d too like some other threads that were started with 3/c/a4 confusion.

The 5 series is hands down a better car, don't think twice just go for it ! The rest of the cars you considered are not a patch compared to the 520d.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Sounds logical, not to mention that the 5 looks way better than the three! Good thinking! What colour?! hehe
I am confused between Monaco Blue and Black Sapphire..i liked black whereas my mom, dad, girl friend liked blue...
Old 24th September 2008, 14:56   #30
BHPian

Hi,

Just get the Monaco blue with Natural brown interiors.

It's a fantastic combination.

Also, blue will be a little easier to maintain than black. ( in comparison )

Most Viewed