Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2008, 00:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiya View Post
I doubt the Mercedes Benz Dealer will import the GL cause it cannot be homologated. The car is built in America and the Type Approval Certificates are not recognized by ARAI. This is the same reason the ML took so much time to come into India. Also the ML cannot be bought as a Individual car and they are selling only 2 variants.
My Friends GL 420 and aunts S500 was brought in by Mercedes Benz. The ML range is the 320 cdi and the 350. They have however sold a ML 420 and are bringing down a ML 63 AMG. Both cars have not been to ARAI.

There are many dealers who import cars, but you need to be aware that they would charge a commision and also the company would not give you any warrenties or packages for parts or service. My suggestion would be to talk to Mercedes Benz Delhi to import the car.
Old 2nd October 2008, 08:16   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiya View Post
I doubt the Mercedes Benz Dealer will import the GL cause it cannot be homologated. The car is built in America and the Type Approval Certificates are not recognized by ARAI. This is the same reason the ML took so much time to come into India. Also the ML cannot be bought as a Individual car and they are selling only 2 variants.
Total poppy cock, as long as the car fulfills the price band, engine capacity issues and is complinat with pollution norms, it is not a problem. MB will bring in an ML420/ ML55 if you flash the cash.

ARAI homologation is only required if the car does not fulfill the above and/or the importer wants to import and stock for resale
Old 2nd October 2008, 23:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Please refer Europe prices for MB, BMW imports.
refer the most accurate pricing guide for imports here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...tml#post801565
Hmm, by following the calculations based on that post (and I followed the UK website as a base) with the base price of a GL320CDI at GBP 53,615 (with no addons). The total when converted and duties etc levided comes to approximately 1.15 C (INR).

So how in the world are the people at Magus quoting 95L'ish? Is it because my calculations take in the onroad costs as well?
Old 3rd October 2008, 05:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

You need to check the Euro prices in the country from where the car is manufactured and exported.
I also feel that the base price for the car that is to be exported will be lesser than the base price in that country. Experienced members could confirm about this.

Last edited by dipen : 3rd October 2008 at 05:39.
Old 3rd October 2008, 07:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Base ML350 goes for 45K in the US so the GL for sure is more than that.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinahuja View Post
Hmm, by following the calculations based on that post (and I followed the UK website as a base) with the base price of a GL320CDI at GBP 53,615 (with no addons). The total when converted and duties etc levided comes to approximately 1.15 C (INR).

So how in the world are the people at Magus quoting 95L'ish? Is it because my calculations take in the onroad costs as well?
The approx 95 lacs quoted by Magnus is the landed cost. The registration and other costs would be extra. So it would come to about 1.20 Cr on road.
My ML 320CDI with the options costs close to 80 lacs and the base cost 68lacs on road so the GL like pointed out by MPower would be more expensive

@ Dipen the car irrespective of it being exported or sold locally costs the same. Manufacturers and dealers dont dont differenciate. The only thing you would save on is the registration cost of that country. If the car cost 53 thousand dollars you would pay the same amount for it, and then export it to India or any other country.

Last edited by speedy : 3rd October 2008 at 11:47.
Old 4th October 2008, 00:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks speedy for clarifying. I had this question since the base price of C63 mentioned in the post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...tml#post801565 is 56,000 Euro whereas the German MB site says ~ 67000 Euro. But then I read that it inlcudes 19% VAT which wouldnt be applicable to us if we are importing the vehicle.
Old 4th October 2008, 16:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The approx 95 lacs quoted by Magnus is the landed cost. The registration and other costs would be extra. So it would come to about 1.20 Cr on road.
My ML 320CDI with the options costs close to 80 lacs and the base cost 68lacs on road so the GL like pointed out by MPower would be more expensive

@ Dipen the car irrespective of it being exported or sold locally costs the same. Manufacturers and dealers dont dont differenciate. The only thing you would save on is the registration cost of that country. If the car cost 53 thousand dollars you would pay the same amount for it, and then export it to India or any other country.
Thanks for the insight Speedy. Did you get it imported via MB or some other dealer?
Old 4th October 2008, 19:21   #24

Considering how expensive this is..i think i should just buy the Montero :-P
Old 5th October 2008, 15:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the insight Speedy. Did you get it imported via MB or some other dealer?
All through MB Jatin, no external dealers for me. i dont mind paying more but atleast i have the comfort of all the paper work in order and the car is delivered safely in my hands.

I did not like the Montero when i drove it while testing most of the SUV's. In the cheaper variants compared to the GL i would suggest you look into the Touareg and the ML. There would be a wait but it would be well worth it.

Last edited by speedy : 5th October 2008 at 15:53.
Old 5th October 2008, 20:37   #26

Quote:
All through MB Jatin, no external dealers for me. i dont mind paying more but atleast i have the comfort of all the paper work in order and the car is delivered safely in my hands.

I did not like the Montero when i drove it while testing most of the SUV's. In the cheaper variants compared to the GL i would suggest you look into the Touareg and the ML. There would be a wait but it would be well worth it.
True, I think I'll have a word with MB anyway. And yeah, I hear the Montero is a tad under powered, thus killing all its driving pleasure.

The only problem with a Touareg and an ML, is that they both hold 5 people only. Maybe I should look at the X5 and the tiny midget seats that the back.
Old 6th October 2008, 03:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True, I think I'll have a word with MB anyway. And yeah, I hear the Montero is a tad under powered, thus killing all its driving pleasure.

The only problem with a Touareg and an ML, is that they both hold 5 people only. Maybe I should look at the X5 and the tiny midget seats that the back.
The Montero is way underpowered for atleast my likeing. if you just want a cruiser for the city it is perfect but on empty road and the highway when you want the power it lags big time. I do not even think it is worth the pirice. The interiors plastic is also not upto the mark. i think our Indian companies do a better job when it comes to quality.
The ML is 68lacs on road Mumbai and the Touareg is in the similar range. We do have the X5 too in the family and the rear midget seats are just name sake, dont expect two full grown men to sit comfortably on them. This should have been a 5 seater according to me.
Old 6th October 2008, 11:49   #28

Quote:
The Montero is way underpowered for atleast my likeing. if you just want a cruiser for the city it is perfect but on empty road and the highway when you want the power it lags big time. I do not even think it is worth the pirice. The interiors plastic is also not upto the mark. i think our Indian companies do a better job when it comes to quality.
The ML is 68lacs on road Mumbai and the Touareg is in the similar range. We do have the X5 too in the family and the rear midget seats are just name sake, dont expect two full grown men to sit comfortably on them. This should have been a 5 seater according to me.
Very true about the X5 that is exactly what ever review states. The Land Cruiser might be a good option too, you can get one for about 78 (excluding onroad prices), and it can seat 7 people in my opnion.

I totally agree with you on the Montero as well!
Old 6th October 2008, 12:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very true about the X5 that is exactly what ever review states. The Land Cruiser might be a good option too, you can get one for about 78 (excluding onroad prices), and it can seat 7 people in my opnion.

I totally agree with you on the Montero as well!
None of the so called 7 seaters seat two full grown men in the last row, even the Prado does not. last i heard and was posted by DKG in the land Cruiser thread was that his friend paid 90 odd lacs on road for the car. The land Cruiser has to be imported by you or bought from a dealer. Toyota does not bring it for you.
If you are spending so much i would rather put in some more and get the GL itself.
Old 6th October 2008, 15:59   #30

Quote:
None of the so called 7 seaters seat two full grown men in the last row, even the Prado does not. last i heard and was posted by DKG in the land Cruiser thread was that his friend paid 90 odd lacs on road for the car. The land Cruiser has to be imported by you or bought from a dealer. Toyota does not bring it for you.
If you are spending so much i would rather put in some more and get the GL itself.
haha..i agree..it a lot more prestigious and rare as well!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks