Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2009, 17:40   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

beemer is easier to say than BMW! :P
Old 19th March 2016, 22:00   #32
BHPian

Re: To Buy a 1994 BMW 316i or Not. Now: 1995 BMW 540i AT?

Guys I am in a same dilemma, saw an ad of BMW 316i for sale @1.5 lac Rs. Sold by a dealer, the owner is in a different state. From my view point the suspension was bad, engine purred well, could not drive as it had a flat, sun roof doesn't work and AC too is kaput, interiors also not great. What you say guys??
Old 20th March 2016, 04:56   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Simply walk away ... It's better to buy a E30 316i or a E46 shape, if you're looking for an import. Like GTO said earlier in this thread it's better to buy an Indian Mercedes E w124 of the same year. Due to better availablility of spares
Old 20th March 2016, 10:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Guys I am in a same dilemma, saw an ad of BMW 316i for sale @1.5 lac Rs. Sold by a dealer, the owner is in a different state. From my view point the suspension was bad, engine purred well, could not drive as it had a flat, sun roof doesn't work and AC too is kaput, interiors also not great. What you say guys??

What model is the 316i? Most likely it's an e36. A fully working e36 in above average condition costs a little bit more that what you have quoted, at best.

Keep in mind that these older Germans mostly never had even their first service done properly in the A.S.S and would have been maintained most of its life by some roadside mechanic.

While the car may come dirt cheap, the spares are still priced like how a 3 series part would be.

Unless it's some very rare spec like a 6cyl E30 in mint condition, i wouldn't touch a 90s BMW, no matter how cheap they come. Electrical are a major pain point and especially after years of jugaad by local 'experts' most of these cars will never be perfect again.

If you want to experience a proper old school German sedan, the 124 is the best way to go. Plenty of good examples going for very good prices these days. Look for one with a service history and pick it up. Even if it costs a premium over cars without history.

Keep in mind, The cheapest German car will end up being the most expensive in the long run.
JayD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 12:50   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
What model is the 316i? Most likely it's an e36. A fully working e36 in above average condition costs a little bit more that what you have quoted, at best.

Keep in mind that these older Germans mostly never had even their first service done properly in the A.S.S and would have been maintained most of its life by some roadside

Unless it's some very rare spec like a 6cyl E30 in mint condition, i wouldn't touch a 90s BMW, no matter how cheap they come. Electrical are a major pain point and especially after years of jugaad by local 'experts' most of these cars will never be perfect again.

If you want to experience a proper old school German sedan, the 124 is the best way to go. Plenty of good examples going for very good prices these days. Look for one with a service history and pick it up. Even if it costs a premium over cars without history.

Keep in mind, The cheapest German car will end up being the most expensive in the long run.
Thanks Jay what a comprehensive answer, it's a 4 cylinder 1.6 liter petrol.
124 as in Mercedes W124 right ?
Old 25th March 2020, 07:17   #36
A C

Re: 1995 BMW 540i AT - Should i buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap316 View Post
Hey Guys its me again. I had a thread earlier about purchasing a BMW 3 series but dropped it after your speedy suggestions. I would like your suggestion on this as well.
Hey! Would you be knowing the current whereabouts of the E34 540i or any other classic Beemer for that matter by any chance?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th March 2020 at 11:11. Reason: edited

Most Viewed