Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 09:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Well i'll give you a suggestion.
After you buy the car.If you see any other car on the road,you should not feel that"I should have bought that car"
If you ask me my list is a copy past of GTO's list.we're all driving enthusiasts.I'll even remove the Merc from the list.
But its you who has to buy it.buy it with your heart.Not your mind.because whenever you see the car you love on the road you'll feel "i should have bought that car".
you'll on a huge budget.are not restrained by any limitations.Go buy your heart out man.
You love the merc buy it.test drive all the cars before you go out.also check out the SUV's.I think the M-class and the BMW X5 should come in your range.
Its simple.Pick a Magazine.check the last pages.tick all the cars between 40 to 55 lakhs.and go test drive them all.
Don't read any magazine's opinion.Don't listen to anyone's opinion about them.Listen to your heart.
this is the best possible way to pick up the one you liked, rather then what people like.
Old 8th October 2008, 10:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Buying a 50L car even when you can afford to is great, BUT you are 23 !!! Congratulations on the phenomenal financial success.

What will you drive when you are say 35-40 ? A Rolls ???

I would reserve the Merc for when I have White or atleast Grey hair. Till then the sportier cars will do just fine. So take a call but do it with your heart AND head...

But then that's just my opinion !!! All the best !

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 8th October 2008 at 10:25.
Old 8th October 2008, 10:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its so nice to hear this, especially when you are just 23yrs
I am sure your parents would be so proud of you.

yes, i agree with the other mates. Buy what YOU like. In the end, its YOURS. Happy searching, and waiting for the TS & ownership thread very soon from you. Ofcourse with pictures.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

At 23 are you sure, you want a sedan only??
Even at 26, with that budget I would like to look at the following as well:
1. Audi TT 3.2(I think with this you can give a miss to A4 FSI)
2. Porsche Boxter
3. Porsche Cayman
4. Mercedes SLK

You can also include:
1. BMW X3
2. Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
3. Volvo XC90.

PS: Sorry to add some more confusion.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 8th October 2008 at 11:15.
Old 8th October 2008, 11:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I agree entirely with kkr2k2. Old men buy sedans and station wagons. SUVs are for farmers and soccer moms. Young men like yourself should be buying sportscars.

Instead consider cars like the Audi TT, the BMW M3, Porsche Cayman.

If you're a little more adventurous you could consider importing a car (although the duty will be huge). In that case your options would really open up.
Old 8th October 2008, 12:17   #21
BHPian

Completely O.T. I would suggest that dont go for a costly vehicle now due to the financial crisis around the globe. Invest wisely and reap benefits down the line.

Just a food for thought!!!

Cheers!!
Old 8th October 2008, 13:37   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Porsche Boxter
3. Porsche Cayman
4. Mercedes SLK

None of these will fit in his budget of 55 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Well for the sheer pleasure of driving et all , i'd suggest you the BMW 530d

As far as i have heard it has a small turbo charger to tackle the turbo lag just before the normal turbo charger kicks in.
It's heavily loaded and you get a simply classy car.
As Mentioned
Test Drive the E280 Cdi , BMW 530d,525d , and Audi A6 3.0Tdi
There is no turbo lag noticed in my 525d so i doubt the 530d has any either as they are essentially the same engines just remaped ECU.
And also the 525d has been stopped so no point suggesting that as of now.... but if you do manage to find a 525d in stock at a dealer with a handsome discount jump on it since you can get the ECU remapped or a tuning chip that would make the 525d = 530d or better. I have been doing some research on the same for my car but haven't finalized on anything yet.

Last edited by Sahil : 8th October 2008 at 13:48.
Old 8th October 2008, 13:50   #23
BHPian

Congratulations on your prosperity. I don't know much about cars in that range. But the title of your thread is intriguing. 'Rags to Riches'. Is this just for information or is it to help the forum posters understand the context for their advice?

OT though, Would you mind sharing the name of the website?

Last edited by sridhga : 8th October 2008 at 14:00.
Old 8th October 2008, 14:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

to be honest, and a bit offtopic, I second carlover98. Unless you actually have the cash in hand, I'd suggest you save more of your cash for the coming rainy days
Old 8th October 2008, 15:15   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Only downside is the stiff ride where the E wins...BUT this is the easiest flaw to resolve... The Bmw comes with run flats with are the culprit so switch over to regular tubeless and your in business!
The 5's stiff ride is due to the runflats...yes. But it is also the output of the way that the suspension has been tuned. Even with regular rubber, neither the 3 series nor the 5 match the ride quality of the new C or the E respectively.
Old 8th October 2008, 15:30   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 5's stiff ride is due to the runflats...yes. But it is also the output of the way that the suspension has been tuned. Even with regular rubber, neither the 3 series nor the 5 match the ride quality of the new C or the E respectively.
Definatly BMW suspensions have to be on the sportier side as only then it would deliver that precise handling.
I haven't sat in a 5 series that has regular tubeless in India. But Insane Devil claims his 520d's ride quality is even better than the E-class now since he got rid of the run flats and put tubeless.
Old 8th October 2008, 23:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Definatly BMW suspensions have to be on the sportier side as only then it would deliver that precise handling.
True, that's a tradeoff you and me, as enthusiasts, would happily live with. But not the rear bencher who only cares about chauffeur-driven comfort.
Old 9th October 2008, 00:21   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO and Sahil -

Even though the BMW has a stiff ride, i would really like to point out that it isn't all that bad as it is made out to be. It's pretty decent to be honest, though the merc still has the edge.

I found the ride to be better than the camry I test drove in March and my mom agrees.
However, one point that I noticed was that the BMW, though easier to drive than the Merc in traffic (due to excellent visibility and steering feel), has a larger turning radius and taking tight turns isn't as comfortable as I would like it to be. The engine however, is simply awesome. 525d v/s an E280, the 525d won hands down. The 530d however is even more powerful!
Another point, comparing the 525d v/s the E270Cdi, I found the gearshift and kickdown of the BMW to be far more smoother and faster.
Also, in interiors, though the Merc looks luxurious, I am too happy with the quality of some parts. Like for eg, the button to open the dashboard, the paint is peeling off and one can see the silver/chrome lining under it.
Old 9th October 2008, 11:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Porsche Boxter
3. Porsche Cayman
4. Mercedes SLK

You can also include:
1. BMW X3
2. Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
3. Volvo XC90.

He has mentioned he needs a good back seat and ride comfort.
A sports car would never give him that.

I'd still say get the 530d
Old 10th October 2008, 19:30   #30
BHPian

Sorry for such a long delay my friends. I have read all the posts. Though the replies from you all are clear enough still am quite confused. I dont want a sports car at this moment as I really need a sedan which is atleast common.

On suggestion from a friend I am going to Test Drive Following cars soon
Merc C230, C63 AMG(If available), C220 CDI. (someone was telling me C230 and AMG are only available in bombay?)
I am not going to buy E now because its just the same car that I drove 2 years back (My Bosss's No new model at all. I want to buy newer cars.)
Any Idea about new E anyone?

BMW: 5Series Highline, 3Series Highline (Ofcourse the diesel ones)
5Series530i and 3Series 325i

I am really considering buying 3Series or C class too. As am new too these High end cars. I can be pretty happy with anything above a honda city. 0 to 60 doesnt matter to me. In City I cant do that and as it is with a BMW Or Merc I wont.

A friend of mine is keen to sell High absolutely Clean looking C 220 Petrol One year old 12K on ODO. He is asking for 22L?

And lastly I really need to know
Whats the maintanance cost of these High end cars Yearly?
Will there be any difference in maintaining A C and A E?
Which is more fun to drive and Easy on pocket maintainance wise. Petrol or Diesel?

I will reply to more replies later right now in really Hurry. Vya friends...love you all..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks