Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 18:19   #1
BHPian

From Rags to Richies: Which Top segment car to buy? EDIT: Bought Merc C class

Hello Friends,
Before I start with my query let me Introduce myself, My name is Arun khanna. I am a 23 Year old software engineer and many dotcoms owner this is first time am posting here.

Well friends I have always been a car enthusiast since I can remember. I always dreamed of merc's and bmw's. But never had green paper to afford one. Till now have been very satisfied with my City. But now since I have recently sold one of my extremely successful Dotcom. I can finally afford one.

Well here goes the calculations,
My monthly Running is going to be between 600 - 1000 Kms. I am sure I will drive it myself most of the time. I have been a Die hard Merc fan since eternity. Got oppertunity to drive boss's C ones or twice and have also sat in his E, Which he never trusted me with. I loved sitting in E and touch the fine leather here and there.

My budget anything Under 55L, I am seriously Considering buying E or BMW 5 series. I think they come in my budget. But above this I have no knowledge whatsoever. I am a Merc fan so am more towards E. I love its lounge like interior. Please friends guide me. I really want to Visit see both the cars with my eyes. Just a bit occupied.

So which one is Fav here? Shall I go for Petrol or Diesel? Or should I just Drop the Idea of buying something so damn expensive and above my Aaukad? Though I can definately afford it now. Let me know friends..Love all
Arun.
Old 7th October 2008, 18:56   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, congratulations on your success! All of 23 and on the way to buy a 50 lakh car with your own hard-earned money. Must have done a lot of people proud .

Choices under 50 lakhs:

1. BMW 530D : This is the enthusiast's current favorite and with good reason too. Fresh looks, fresh brand, outstanding power, level of equipment, quality, handling & the option of a 5 year warranty. The only downside is its stiff ride quality. And, to me, the bangled front end design.

2. Mercedes E280 CDI : Way more comfortable than the 5 series. But that's it. On most other counts, it loses out to the 530D. To their credit, Merc has been loading it up with gizmo's and goodies while some dealers have started offering inhouse extended warranties (God bless competition). The all-new E is just around the corner too. It's still a good car by itself. But outclassed by the 5 series.

3. Audi 3.2 FSI : Test-drive it once, even if only for the heck of it. Believe you me, the 3.2 is a BRILLIANT drive. Imported as a CBU, the A4 3.2 comes loaded with all the options you could possibly want (including an outrageous 265 BHP engine, DSG, all wheel drive, keyless go etc. etc.). The downside : it is vaguely overpriced @ near 50 lakhs. Drinks premium petrol @ 5 kpl in the city. And will depreciate like stink.

Even if your driving is only a 1000 kms / month, go for a German diesel. They are far more reliable, robust, efficient and quicker when compared to their petrol counterparts. Plus, they hold their resale value better too.
Old 7th October 2008, 19:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well i'll give you a suggestion.
After you buy the car.If you see any other car on the road,you should not feel that"I should have bought that car"
If you ask me my list is a copy past of GTO's list.we're all driving enthusiasts.I'll even remove the Merc from the list.
But its you who has to buy it.buy it with your heart.Not your mind.because whenever you see the car you love on the road you'll feel "i should have bought that car".
you'll on a huge budget.are not restrained by any limitations.Go buy your heart out man.
You love the merc buy it.test drive all the cars before you go out.also check out the SUV's.I think the M-class and the BMW X5 should come in your range.
Its simple.Pick a Magazine.check the last pages.tick all the cars between 40 to 55 lakhs.and go test drive them all.
Don't read any magazine's opinion.Don't listen to anyone's opinion about them.Listen to your heart.
Old 7th October 2008, 19:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well for the sheer pleasure of driving et all , i'd suggest you the BMW 530d

As far as i have heard it has a small turbo charger to tackle the turbo lag just before the normal turbo charger kicks in.
It's heavily loaded and you get a simply classy car.
As Mentioned
Test Drive the E280 Cdi , BMW 530d,525d , and Audi A6 3.0Tdi

I wont suggest the A4 as you mentioned you loved the seat of the Merc E Class - which means you are a comfort seeker.
Old 7th October 2008, 20:00   #5
BHPian

hi physicspsyche
whoa; nice budget of 55 lakhs( under) you have here.
Iam no expert( im a newbie) but i would urge you to go and take a testdrive of BMW530d. There are 2 models available:-
<1> 530d @ Rs 43.20 Lakhs( Ex-showroom).Delhi
<2> 530d Highline @ Rs 46.80 Lakhs( Ex-showroom).Delhi
It sure does make heads turn these days.
All the best.
Old 7th October 2008, 20:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice. COngrats.
A little more and suv's are available too. Porsche cayenne, Xc90, etc.
Old 7th October 2008, 21:34   #7
BHPian

Your 23yrs old ! good going indeed and congrats!

My option is the new C220 CDI. Give yourself some breathing space for the future.

Enough said.Don't want to sound like a financial planner, lol

From Rags to Richies: Which Top segment car to buy? EDIT: Bought Merc C class-cclass_saloon_gallery_01_740x295_112007.jpg

From Rags to Richies: Which Top segment car to buy? EDIT: Bought Merc C class-img_2109.jpg

From Rags to Richies: Which Top segment car to buy? EDIT: Bought Merc C class-preview.jpg
Old 7th October 2008, 23:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Great Job my friend.

In my opinioun once you sit in the Mercedes E class you would not like the BMW 530d comfort wise. Engine wise and ride wise i prefer the Mercedes over the BMW. Maybe i am biast being a Mercedes owner.
I say test drive both and then decide. You do not have a budget issue so test drive the diesel. They are good for the amount of travel you plan to do.
I would say just follow your heart and do not compromise.
Old 8th October 2008, 00:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
You do not have a budget issue so test drive the diesel. They are good for the amount of travel you plan to do.
I'd not agree with that.
With 1000kms running , anyone would suggest a petrol over the deisel.
Rest its his choice , how he want his car's fuel type to be.
Old 8th October 2008, 00:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I'd not agree with that.
With 1000kms running , anyone would suggest a petrol over the deisel.
Rest its his choice , how he want his car's fuel type to be.
Being a converted diesel guy now my practical side takes over . Today the diesels have similar power to the petrols and alot less load on the pocket. Having said that abhinav he is free to choose from his likeing of whatever fuel type he prefers.
Old 8th October 2008, 00:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Being a converted diesel guy now my practical side takes over . Today the diesels have similar power to the petrols and alot less load on the pocket. Having said that abhinav he is free to choose from his likeing of whatever fuel type he prefers.
Happens , being a petrol head , i just dont feel like buying the deisel ones.
Of course my running is not too much too.
With 2 cars at hand. My total running is close to 1500 kms ( combined )

Deisels are mainly recommended if you have a running of somewhere more than 2000kms.

Test Drive both the cars and suit yourself.
cheers:
Old 8th October 2008, 00:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Happens , being a petrol head , i just dont feel like buying the deisel ones.
Of course my running is not too much too.
With 2 cars at hand. My total running is close to 1500 kms ( combined )

Deisels are mainly recommended if you have a running of somewhere more than 2000kms.

Test Drive both the cars and suit yourself.
cheers:

I used to be like that once, but now is different. My 280cdi does around 15 kms a day and the ML has done around 3500 kms in 25 days, so close to 140 kms a day.
Anyways enough about us. Yes i agree Physicspsyche should test drive both cars and decide.

Last edited by speedy : 8th October 2008 at 00:51.
Old 8th October 2008, 04:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88
As far as i have heard it has a small turbo charger to tackle the turbo lag just before the normal turbo charger kicks in.
Wrong.

530d = single turbo

535d = dual turbo

reed moar...
Old 8th October 2008, 09:02   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

like most have said the 530d blows the e280cdi completly with far better performance(0 to 100 in 6.5 on the 5 vs 8.2 on the e) it's a newer car, has better interior space. Only downside is the stiff ride where the E wins...BUT this is the easiest flaw to resolve... The Bmw comes with run flats with are the culprit so switch over to regular tubeless and your in business!
Old 8th October 2008, 09:10   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Well i'll give you a suggestion.
After you buy the car.If you see any other car on the road,you should not feel that"I should have bought that car"
If you ask me my list is a copy past of GTO's list.we're all driving enthusiasts.I'll even remove the Merc from the list.
But its you who has to buy it.buy it with your heart.Not your mind.because whenever you see the car you love on the road you'll feel "i should have bought that car".
you'll on a huge budget.are not restrained by any limitations.Go buy your heart out man.
You love the merc buy it.test drive all the cars before you go out.also check out the SUV's.I think the M-class and the BMW X5 should come in your range.
Its simple.Pick a Magazine.check the last pages.tick all the cars between 40 to 55 lakhs.and go test drive them all.
Don't read any magazine's opinion.Don't listen to anyone's opinion about them.Listen to your heart.
I couldnt agree more!!

In this range, there is no such thing as a BAD car. So, if your heart says MErc, go for it. It may not drive as well at the BMW, but it will make you happy.

Most Viewed