Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2008, 12:07   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I think the Outlander fits your requirements well. Its very well equipped (HIDs, a banging music system,etc) and since it's an SUV it can handle bad roads much better than any sedan.
I second that; based on initial impression, the Outlander seems fantastic. You must go for a test-drive. I would give the fab Accord a second look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbaliga View Post
- i would recommend the Captiva - Very worthy SUV, all the bells and frills and luxurious/spacious too. The 3 Yr maintenance holiday is a big plus.
The Captiva's trump card is its diesel. On most other factors, it loses out to the competition. Neither are its road manners any good, nor does diki24 need a diesel.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:35   #17
BHPian

Thanks DocG for excellent analysis and thanks Vid6639, and everyone else.
I had been hopeful on Toyota Corolla but frankly i feel disappointed. Though the Tech is great, but i find the car too boring and suitable for 40+ types (sorrry!).

I loved Sonata Embera. I feel it has a great Road presence (much more than Laura or Corolla or Civic) and i like its exterior styling as well (mix of classy and sporty). However Interiors are a completely different story, perhaps a generation or two older. Are there any Embera Owners here who can give their 2 Cents. Also what accessories options are available if we have to pimp it up?? I somehow feel its a greta VFM Car.

Chevy Cruze doesnt look like its going to make it in 2009. Most sources have written that its going to be around mid of 2010. In any case i didnt like Cruze that much. I think its going to lose its charm very soon.

I just dont like Jetta. Though it gives enormous amount of saftey, etc etc. I find it too dull and understated. styling is/or very soon, be outdated. Passat at 26L OTR in bangalore gets a similar verdict from me. yeah it would have been different had it been at 20-21L levels.

I think if i narrow down my choices so far then they would be:
Honda Accord (Though some negatives, it still looks like best buy at 20L levels)
Sonata Embera (A Good VFM)
Outlander (yet to TD but looking forward to it. If i like i can stretch my budget to 24L)
CRV (I like its styling but interiors are boring. but still in contention)

Some distant contenders would be
Laura Ambiente
Altis AT
Civic AT
Used BMW 3 series

Thanks everyone. please keep sending your suggetsions it is helping me a lot.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:09   #18
BHPian

I just saw a "Outlander" displayed in one of the malls here in Bangalore (Forum Mall).
It looks pretty cool, much better than i thought after seeing it in the magazines, and web.
It was a very bright blue colour, surely head turning.

One thing i noticed was that though it is longer than CRV on paper, it somehow gives a perception of small size, maybe due to its certain proportions. Also it is quite low almost like a Car. Bent and saw the GC as well and seems sufficient. I felt the car looks very balanced with its proportions. I feel that it would have a very good road grip on highways.
The exteriors and Interiors both look extremely plush and give a feeling of a premium class. I was initially disappointed with their pricing but now after seeing the vehicle i feel its justified. it definitely exudes class much more than CRV. It woudl have been a no brainer had it been at my budget, ie. at 20-21L levels (OTR in Bangalore).

Personally i felt the front of the car is much more attractive than the Back. But then its only human to find faults, :-).
I have requested for a TD, lets see if i get to do it over this weekend. A lot more curious now.
Old 15th October 2008, 18:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

If you do consider Laura then go for the top end one and not the Ambiente as that has very less features and doesnt justifies buying a Laura. Feature wise Laura beats most of the choices but the A.S.S is a big concern.
Is it me or others also feel Accords drive is better than Laura?

Last edited by harry10 : 15th October 2008 at 18:54.
Old 15th October 2008, 21:50   #20
BHPian

Don't know as yet (still in runnind in) about the Laura but prior to this i owned the octavia and i felt it handled better than the accord and it had more feel in the steering but boy o boy when the vtec kicks in it feels so powerful.

I felt the accord's interior quality was not up to the mark when compared to the Laura (my personal opinion) and while test driving the car it felt massive and lazy till the vtec kicked in. It needs alot of gear changes (for the manual have not test driven the automatic)

I personally just love the CRV as it has a very good 6 gear manual with very good handling. If you go for the Laura then go for the L&K dsg(as others pionted out) otherwise just leave it as it does not make sense for your limited usage.
Old 4th November 2008, 15:05   #21
BHPian

I have come back from the vacation and got down back to the hunt. Meanwhile, I tried reaching Southern Motors in Bangalore for Tding the Outlander, i had also dropped my visiting card. After few unsuccessful calls, someone emailed me blah..blah and said that please visit showroom.
Now i was surely expecting a better and keener response. However after few days (about 15 days from me dropping the Biz card) someone called me up and asked if i can come for a TD. I said yes and asked her to call up the next day so that i can tell her the time (the place is far from where i live so i need to schedule it). She didnt call up the day and again heard yesterday which is 28 days from the start.
I wonder whats up with these dealers. When they dont even have an enthusiasm to make a sale of a new car which has come from their stable after almost a decade, whats going to happen with A. S. S.
This has made me move back from Outlander as a choice. though i want to TD it for sure.
Meanwhile, i am going to try and TD the Accord again with Magnum Honda. IF i like it this time, i will freeze that.
I also want to TD Embera once. I somehow like it very much from outside.
Any suggestions between Accord MT/AT?? I have been driving MT and 1.6 Ikon which i just love because of its punch and peppy nature.
Old 11th November 2008, 16:35   #22
BHPian

I TDed Honda Accord and i am finally dropping the ball. I wasnt anyways convinced during my first TD and this time it confirms that i dont like the driving feel of the car. I feel it too lethargic and somehow like the old accord much better. New one is huge, stately but inside on the Driver's seat is not so. Frankly now i feel myself out of options.

Meanwhile i have started liking New Merc C class. I went through the website looking at features and safety options and i am bowled over. I am going to TD it in this week. One thing that worries me is about the A.S.S. People on web and also on this forum have had a horrendous time with their Benz babies and the hole int he pocket that it makes. I want to know if this this true for new range as well??

Does anyone here own a new C class Petrol/Diesel and what has been the experience. Also are there any service packages like that of BMW that you can opt for?? Please this will be helpful for me to decide.
As i have siad earlier in the thread that my running is not going to exceed 10K/year hence i am looking at Petrol version since the difference between Petrol and Diesel is alost 3Lks, which i am sure i will never cover in my mileage.
Old 11th November 2008, 19:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diki24 View Post
I
As i have siad earlier in the thread that my running is not going to exceed 10K/year hence i am looking at Petrol version since the difference between Petrol and Diesel is alost 3Lks, which i am sure i will never cover in my mileage.
You might want to consider a diesel, even though your running is not high. Simply because Diesels hold a very good resale value over their petrol counterparts, especially in these premium segments.
Old 12th November 2008, 11:30   #24
Team-BHP Support

Hey Diskhant,

I just sent you a PM regarding outlander TD. I'm getting a TD this weekend and can call up the guy and get the same for you as well.
Old 12th November 2008, 22:00   #25
BHPian

Well diki24 the C class does not have any extended warranty packages like BMW.
It is also missing a few automatic features like fully automatic seats,automatic mirror retraction and opening.I have sat in the C and the interiors didn't feel out of the world for me as you would expect from such a high end car.I would recommend to stay away from Skoda/VW. I am surprised that you dont like the Accord.Its a very good value for money proposition and wont make you go bankrupt with A.S.S problems.
Now as for power if you are driving in the city then there will be hardly any time when you will get a chance to rev that engine and i think the mated engine in current is very good as it will give you good fuel economy and with fuel prices increasing this will not pinch your pocket in the future.
Remember that in the end it's a sedan you are buying and not a sports car.
So see if you can change the mind regarding Accord.I love it's plush interiors.....
Enjoy
Old 12th November 2008, 22:25   #26
BHPian

Thanks Vidyut. Mitsubishi's Regional manager called me up and apologized. I will take the TD soon.
Old 12th November 2008, 22:38   #27
BHPian

Meanwhile, i took the TD of C-class 200K (Petrol) today. Awesome is the word. I think the whole experience was far better than BMW 320D. Far larger levels of equipment and new model looks great and has a road presence.
I am sorry i forgot to take Pics though i had decided that i will do so. however i think i completely forgot once i saw it, :-).
It has a decent power for city driving. only gripe is that the power distribution wasnt uniform. If you push the pedal hard it keeps going but at 3000 RPM, it just takes off like a possessed soul. the executive told that this was the difference between Diesel and Petrol variants. Diesel variant has much better range and uniform torque.

Color, Tenorite Grey was very cool and elegant. however surprisingly (and not in a good way) there is no option for Interiors. this color which is what i would go with if at all, only has biege interior option, which i feel awefull. I had seen the black interior on website that i had liked it a lot. black interior is only available with Silver color whcih i dont fancy too much.

Well all in all, i will need to decide if i can live with biege interiors. want to conclude this long and tiring search in november. I have decided to take the TD of Audi A4 as well. And Mitsubishi outlander sometime next week.
Wish me luck guys!!!!
Old 12th November 2008, 23:51   #28
BHPian

Nice

Best of luck with the TD for A4 and Outlander. Please post more impressions as it will also help me pick my car. Some basic feature like fully auto seats, auto side mirrors are not present in the C and cant be bought as an option. does this have any impact on your buying decision?
Old 13th November 2008, 13:58   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diki24 View Post
One thing that worries me is about the A.S.S. People on web and also on this forum have had a horrendous time with their Benz babies and the hole int he pocket that it makes.
Actually, Benz' after-sales is awesome and boasts amongst the best service standards in India. What isn't is the appaling reliability, frequent problems and exorbitant service bills (read : really expensive. Like 16K for the first service, 25K for second etc.). My '05 C220 has been treating me well, not too many problems and is at the 50,000 km mark. And the new C is reporting far lesser problems compared to my generation.

However, don't expect a Mercedes or a BMW to be cheap to own. The regular maintenance etc. alone will set you back by 1.7 - 2.2 lakhs (total) for the first 3 years. And about .75 lac per year for the 4 - 6 year window. Over and above that, the insurance runs to about 70,000 - 90,000 thousand in premium per year. These aren't cars that are cheap to run. God help you if the car ever meets with an accident. I am not trying to dissuade you, just want you to know what to expect. Realistically.

If you are looking at a value + luxury equation, don't venture any further than the Accord. And if you do buy a German, please stick only to the diesels (C220, 320D etc.). They are robust, offer excellent FE, better reliability and FAR better resale as compared to their petrol counterparts. As an example, 1.5 year old 325is are going for as low as 17.5 - 20 lakhs in the used bazaar. This is a car that cost 37 lakhs when new. On the other hand, a 320D which sells for 34 lakhs commands 25 - 26 lakhs (similar vintage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
Well diki24 the C class does not have any extended warranty packages like BMW.
Correction. Some dealers have started offering a 2 year extended warranty (for a total of 4 years) at the cost of 30 - 40 grand per year.
Old 13th November 2008, 14:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara. A small petrol SUV that will give you the added benefit of four wheel drive so that you can picnic in the hills with impunity. Also good GC and a good monsoon vehicle. Easy to drive and park, for an SUV. Good service network, spares available. About 15 lakh roughly. No fuss, no muss.

Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara <----- click this thingy

Last edited by DirtyDan : 13th November 2008 at 14:52.

Most Viewed