Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 01:31   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
Very true.
You can wait till march when they announce the brand new Teana for India. It is a very awesome car.Filled with goodies/tech
Also Nissan being a Jap company does have a good rep for making good products.
Cheers
Agreed...Nissan offers good products. Good & plasticy products in India...like the XTrail & existing Teana. But product comparison with the beamer!!!

To top it up, trust that you are aware that their retailing operations are OUTSOURCED. A visit to the dealership will give you out the sad state of their retailing & service standards. Suggest that you do not be too playful with your money.
Old 5th December 2008, 01:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
To top it up, trust that you are aware that their retailing operations are OUTSOURCED. A visit to the dealership will give you out the sad state of their retailing & service standards. Suggest that you do not be too playful with your money.
X-trail parts are very expensive. Read somewhere that the front bumper alone is more than a lakh in India.

if 320d costs just a lakh more than the 320i as posted by ecclipse78, it would make sense to get a new 320d in that case.

Last edited by dipen : 5th December 2008 at 01:50.
Old 5th December 2008, 03:03   #78
BHPian

Go for the new 320i and as Sahil said get rid of the run flats. Already had a bad experience with 335i run flat. My cousin took it through a pot hole and it had a big bulge on one side (lucky the tire didnt blast) , has a replacement plan for tires and wheels for 5 yrs. I feel the ride is a bit rough every time I drive, but then again the BMW drive itself supersedes everything else. As many say its a driver car.

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 5th December 2008 at 03:04.
Old 5th December 2008, 15:54   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I believe your monthly running is 500kms, in that case i'd say take the 320i. It has enough power for the city and even highway to an extent. Especially after an ikon, you wouldn't be complaining at all.

A new car has its own charm,not to forget the resale benefits. All the extra goodies would make the 320i more worthwhile too. Make sure you sell the run flats back to the dealer before delivery to get a good price and avoid yourself complaining of the harsh ride later.
Thanks Sahil. Yeah my monthly running wouldn't exceed 8000Kms / year.
If i replace the Runflat tyres with normal, i would need a Stepney. since BMWs don't have that concept, where would i keep it. I know i sound stupid asking that, but i dont know. Is there a place for spare tyre? I never bothered to notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
if 320d costs just a lakh more than the 320i as posted by ecclipse78, it would make sense to get a new 320d in that case.
Yeah i agree if the cost difference between 320i and 320d would have been just a Lakh or even 2 Lakhs, i would go for 320D. However there are bigger discounts offered on i than d, which make the OTR (in Bangalore) difference between two models more than 6 lakhs. From most people's comments this huge difference doesnt justify betterness of 320D. What say??

As a corollary to the above question, what is the highest OTR price difference between i and d that is justified or worth spending extra? Is it 2L or 4L or 6L ?
Old 5th December 2008, 17:25   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diki24 View Post
Thanks Sahil. Yeah my monthly running wouldn't exceed 8000Kms / year.
If i replace the Runflat tyres with normal, i would need a Stepney. since BMWs don't have that concept, where would i keep it. I know i sound stupid asking that, but i dont know. Is there a place for spare tyre? I never bothered to notice.
It's just the 3 series that has this problem of no compartment in the boot for a spare. However BMW does offer a puncture repair kit similar to the ones in the market that use a sealant to get rid of punctures.
Eventually your runflats would wear out too and a logical switch would be to move over to tubeless unless you want to pay a lakh of rupees for a new set. so might as well do it from the start itself.
Trust me that's the only thing i repent not doing when i got my 5, even though the 5 series suspension is more comfy than the 3.
Old 5th December 2008, 23:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
It's just the 3 series that has this problem of no compartment in the boot for a spare. However BMW does offer a puncture repair kit similar to the ones in the market that use a sealant to get rid of punctures.
Eventually your runflats would wear out too and a logical switch would be to move over to tubeless unless you want to pay a lakh of rupees for a new set. so might as well do it from the start itself.
Trust me that's the only thing i repent not doing when i got my 5, even though the 5 series suspension is more comfy than the 3.

Sahil: Howz the noise level in 5 diesel compared to the petrol version? BMW has just launched diesel versions in US, need to see how succesful diesel variants would be, given the fact that diesel is more expensive here.
Old 6th December 2008, 15:58   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Sahil: Howz the noise level in 5 diesel compared to the petrol version? BMW has just launched diesel versions in US, need to see how succesful diesel variants would be, given the fact that diesel is more expensive here.
A diesel engine will always be noiser than a petrol on the outside. But once you are in the car you won't feel the difference.

Germans have always been known for their diesel engines and if they launch diesel engines in a land where petrol is cheaper than diesel, that shows how confident they are of their diesel powerplants.

A diesel engine would give you much more miles to the gallon too. And loads of torque to blow your mind, check out the 535d you will be stunned.
Old 7th December 2008, 06:11   #83
BHPian

Quote:
A diesel engine will always be noiser than a petrol on the outside. But once you are in the car you won't feel the difference.

Germans have always been known for their diesel engines and if they launch diesel engines in a land where petrol is cheaper than diesel, that shows how confident they are of their diesel powerplants.

A diesel engine would give you much more miles to the gallon too. And loads of torque to blow your mind, check out the 535d you will be stunned.
I'll test drive 335D. 5 series still doesnt have diesel here. I guess most of the luxury cars in India are diesels. I'm looking forward to drive one. Now its Diki's choice since he has all the options in front of him.
Old 19th December 2008, 11:30   #84
BHPian

Hi Everyone, Sorry for the stretched silence.
Have finally booked the 320i (Graphite with Beige interiors) and delivery expected tomorrow (20th Dec). Wanted Graphite with Terra interiors, but that option wasn't available so am taking this, but happy nevertheless.

About Wheels, The Dealer is crying is heart out in not letting me do that. What do you all say?? Also how much additional money will i need to change the set to normal tubeless tyres. Meaning how much should i bargain for??? Dealer has confirmed that change of tyres doesn't affect the warranty.

Delays have eventually helped me as Excise rate cuts resulted in further discounts of about 90K, so you see am not complaining :-).

Will write a detailed response, with thanks to many of you tomorrow. Will also try and post the pics as soon as i can.

Mod: can you change the status of this thread please.
Old 21st December 2008, 01:07   #85
BHPian

Hi Diki24,
Congratulations.
Good color choice and car choice.
I am also going to finalize the 320D Highline today.White with Terra interiors.
The sales rep told me an odd thing which got me worried.Apparently 15% ethanol mix will be mandatory in deisel and for that fuel to run in our high end diesel cars we will need a retro fit pump costing about 2-3lakh rupees.Is this true?
Also any idea on fuel pump cost for the 3 series diesel and 325i?
Cheers
Old 21st December 2008, 20:17   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
Hi Diki24,

The sales rep told me an odd thing which got me worried.Apparently 15% ethanol mix will be mandatory in deisel and for that fuel to run in our high end diesel cars we will need a retro fit pump costing about 2-3lakh rupees.Is this true?
Also any idea on fuel pump cost for the 3 series diesel and 325i?
Cheers
i seriously doubt if one has to shell out 2-3 lakhs for guarding against bad fuel. I was told by the dealers that the engines are pretty robust and fuel shouldnt be a problem.

Maybe some people who own 320D or 520D here can answer that better.
Old 21st December 2008, 20:29   #87
Senior - BHPian

Amazing man.
Another 90k discount.
Amazing.
Waiting for the delivery and initial reports with pics.

Congrats.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:46   #88
BHPian

Pics 320i

Some pics here .
Attached Thumbnails
Budget of 30 Lakhs: should i wait till Jan? EDIT : Bought BMW 320i-img_1355.jpg  

Budget of 30 Lakhs: should i wait till Jan? EDIT : Bought BMW 320i-img_1352.jpg  

Budget of 30 Lakhs: should i wait till Jan? EDIT : Bought BMW 320i-img_1357.jpg  

Budget of 30 Lakhs: should i wait till Jan? EDIT : Bought BMW 320i-img_1363.jpg  

Budget of 30 Lakhs: should i wait till Jan? EDIT : Bought BMW 320i-img_1360.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd December 2008 at 18:11. Reason: Removed duplicate images
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:12   #89
BHPian

congrats diki...i'm sure its been quite a journey for you till you finalized on the beemer!
and i'm sure t-bhp has a major role to play in your decision
Old 22nd December 2008, 16:01   #90
BHPian

Congrats

Congrats Bro.

For the benefit of all of us, can we have a list of all the goodies (discounts/freebees etc) that the dealer offered considering this to be year end purchase.

We still have 10 days to go, may be some fellow bhpian(s) can use this info for good!

Most Viewed