Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2008, 00:23   #16
BHPian

Just booked a 320d ( baseline ) for 30.7 lacs on-road Chennai, with BMW secure.
The dealer offered me 2.75 lacs discount and I'm saving another 44K on my insurance from the NCB.

Now this offer has me confused!!

I'm looking for a daily drive and the 3 was good as its not too large. But, at this price the E220CDI sure is a steal.....
Old 21st November 2008, 00:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Ecclipse, the E220CDi would be a more comfortable ride compared to the 3. And as per what you mentioned to me last, it was ride quality that you were looking for.
I'd take the E220 if i were you.
Old 21st November 2008, 00:32   #18
BHPian

Sahil was looking forward to your input on this.
I am tempted to get the E220CDI too, only thing is that I would feel more comfortable driving the 3 in Chennai roads, rather than the E. ( chaotic traffic with narrow streets ).

Will give the Merc chaps a call tomorrow and see if I can get the same 7 lac/ 8 lac discount here as well.

Will keep you posted.....
Old 21st November 2008, 11:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is Good News! How Im tempted to buy a E280cdi for the family.
I just drove in from Khandala to My office at Colaba in my 280cdi. She gave me an average of 7.2litres/100kms. Thats amazing. Till Vashi she was showing 6.1L/100kms and then the overall dropped to 7.2L because of the city traffic.It took me 1hr 45mins to cover the 95kms. This is promotion for the E280cdi.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:05   #20
BHPian

Just got off the phone with the Merc chaps here.
Discounts are only 2 lacs....this might go up a little more in case we sit across the table and negotiate hard, but nowhere near this 7 lac figure.

Morever, they tell me that they have exhausted stock of the E220CDI and are only clearing stock of the E280 now.

I'll stick with the 320d.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:28   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Just got off the phone with the Merc chaps here.
Discounts are only 2 lacs....this might go up a little more in case we sit across the table and negotiate hard, but nowhere near this 7 lac figure.

Morever, they tell me that they have exhausted stock of the E220CDI and are only clearing stock of the E280 now.

I'll stick with the 320d.

You rather stick with the 320d than a 2 lakh discount on the E.
However, giving a call to autohangar,mumbai might be a wise idea. For that sort of a discount at hand it's worthwhile to even have the car transported on a truck to you in Chennai. There are some professional companies that provide these services now. Have heard of people from Delhi bring their Lambos,etc down this way.

Last edited by Sahil : 21st November 2008 at 12:34.
Old 21st November 2008, 13:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
The dealer offered me 2.75 lacs discount and I'm saving another 44K on my insurance from the NCB.

I'm looking for a daily drive and the 3 was good as its not too large. But, at this price the E220CDI sure is a steal.....
Hi, I'm assuming that the discount is being offered on the existing 320d and not the new redesigned 3 series 320d. Is that correct?

Also what is the BMW secure?
My dealer was talking about a Bajaj Allianz policy where there is no depreciation on the plastic parts and also if there is total loss of vehicle than I get a brand new vehicle? Is that the BMW secure?

I have a skoda Laura whose policy I'm going to transfer to my new X3. Can my NCB from New India Assurance be used to obtain NCB discount from BMW secure?
Old 21st November 2008, 16:09   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post

I have a skoda Laura whose policy I'm going to transfer to my new X3. Can my NCB from New India Assurance be used to obtain NCB discount from BMW secure?
Dealers are a bit confused on this, at the time of booking my dealer said no. So i went ahead and transfered my exisiting AIG policy with 65% NCB on the BMW. But last when I spoke to the dealer he said they can transfer my 65% NCB.
Do let me know if you manage to do the same then I can switch over too. But would i be able to make the switch at this point since the car is already a year old?
Old 21st November 2008, 17:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Ecclipse78,
Even i am looking at 320D/i. In my discussions so far, best they have offered me is 5.6% interest on a 3 year loan. They havent given me any cash discount. Have you purchased it outright with full cash or have you opted for a loan ?
Also with 30.7 OTR, can you tell me what does the ex-showroom come to??
This will helpo me bargain with the dealer here.

thanks in advance
Old 22nd November 2008, 02:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackyash View Post
Hi, I'm assuming that the discount is being offered on the existing 320d and not the new redesigned 3 series 320d. Is that correct?

Also what is the BMW secure?
My dealer was talking about a Bajaj Allianz policy where there is no depreciation on the plastic parts and also if there is total loss of vehicle than I get a brand new vehicle? Is that the BMW secure?

Hi,
Yes, the discount offered is on the 2008 BMW 320d models, as the 2009 models will be the facelifted ones.

BMW secure is a bumper to bumper warranty and worth the premium IMO.

You can transfer your NCB from any company to their Bajaj Allianz with/ without secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diki24 View Post
Hi Ecclipse78,
Even i am looking at 320D/i. In my discussions so far, best they have offered me is 5.6% interest on a 3 year loan. They havent given me any cash discount. Have you purchased it outright with full cash or have you opted for a loan ?
Also with 30.7 OTR, can you tell me what does the ex-showroom come to??
This will helpo me bargain with the dealer here.

thanks in advance
Hi,
The standard discount is for 2 lacs across all BMW 3 series. I got the last 320d ( baseline ), as claimed by the dealer here. Since this is my 2nd BMW in three months ( I own a 530d highline ), they agreed for a discount of 2.75 lacs.
They were not offering the same amount on the 320d highline.
I am purchasing it outright and the BMW guys are taking care of my regn and road here in Chennai which is about 2.62 lacs ( part of the discount ).
ex-show room for 320d is 29.7 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
You rather stick with the 320d than a 2 lakh discount on the E.
However, giving a call to autohangar,mumbai might be a wise idea. For that sort of a discount at hand it's worthwhile to even have the car transported on a truck to you in Chennai. There are some professional companies that provide these services now. Have heard of people from Delhi bring their Lambos,etc down this way.
Sahil, transporting the E to Chennai, paying the entry tax and getting it registered are all really tedious and time consuming tasks. Last year, a couple of guys from Chennai picked up the 2007 Audi A6's from Mumbai dealer at some 35 lacs.

They had a nightmare getting the cars registered here, due to some non-approval with the RTO's. ( don't know the exact details ). I think with Merc there might not be so much of a hassle, but I really don't have time for this.
If I was a little younger and had some spare time, I'd have probably taken the E class deal....

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd November 2008 at 03:08. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE / QUOTE+. Thanks!
Old 22nd November 2008, 03:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Well Sahil, firstly there is no E220cdi if I'm right. There is only the E280 in the petrol and diesel versions and the 200K in the E class.

Wait for a month, the discounts will reach almost 10, though 8 lakhs is also a droolworthy price.

Last edited by V-16 : 22nd November 2008 at 03:11.
Old 22nd November 2008, 05:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

E220cdi does exist.
Mercedes-Benz India - E-Class Saloon - Technical data

If the discounts are really 7-8 laks, doesn't that make the E cheaper or same price as the new C.

Edit : Its listed on the website, but configure you car does not have it in the select model category. So not sure.

Last edited by dipen : 22nd November 2008 at 05:16.
Old 22nd November 2008, 05:29   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

V16- the recall range got a revamp few months back when sales got hit due to the 5 series. To counter this mbil launched e220cdi & e230 to replace the e200k. The e280s remained. The cars got better equipped with xenons etc. Bmw then launched the 520d to replace the 523i and ruined mbils party.
Old 22nd November 2008, 07:18   #29
BHPian

Wow a steal for those in the 30 Lac car range hunt. Even if they buy the "E" at a discount, it should still command premium over the "3" or "C" when one goes to sell it.
Plus the next range, the image and the comfortable goodies it brings along will keep the owner grinning from ear to ear for a long time.

PS: Be sure the maintenance expense is budgeted in advance
Old 22nd November 2008, 08:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

I still don't know how much sense this would make in the long-term.

Firstly, considering BMW's fantastic BSI+BMW Secure as against MBIL's dodgy service reports, BMW is definitely a better option. Peace of mind vote goes to BMW.

Secondly, there is the on-hand proof that old-gen Germans lose value all too quickly. For example the W210 E's aren't worth much these days. The same will happen with the W211's when the new E-class arrives, and judging which is financially more viable, the depreciation hit as against the upfront savings is a rather speculative way to go about such a big purchase, expecially when the E is laden with electronics which don't always stand the test of time (atleast you have the BSI with BMW). It would suck to be stuck with a lemon thats worth nothing. Can't keep it, can't sell it. Relase value vote goes to BMW.

So I think BMW is a more sensible option. By the way I was at Navnit yesterday, the sales representative mentioned the new 3 will be here early next year, but customers can pay a sum of 1 lac right now and be on the priority list for delivery. The new 7 is expected to be here around April-May.

Edit: Come to think of it....... since I'm harping on dip in resale value. I think anyone buying any of these cars would keep it for 3+ years? In which period the 5 will get replaced as well. So it's a bit of a close call, really. The E which will be replaced now, or the 5 which will be replaced after a couple of years. Either ways, after 4- years you end up with an older gen model. Hmmm.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 22nd November 2008 at 08:34.

Most Viewed