Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 14:35   #16
BHPian

Looks like Q7 prices have reduced by 1.8 lakhs

I'll be going to Delhi in coming few days for a test drive and finalize the deal for a new Q7. Any suggestions are welcome from current owners of Q7. I like lava grey and would prefer to stick with 18 inches. Any options that are must haves ? Is stock Audi music system good enough or should I go for Bose one.

While in Delhi I'd like to check out other probable options. Who knows there could be a change of heart. Options are (diesel ones only)

- BMW X5 (For brand, reliability)
- VW Touareg (For looks)
- Volvo XC 90 (For practicality)

Last edited by entropy : 18th December 2008 at 14:37.
Old 18th December 2008, 15:16   #17
BHPian

not the volvo; for me..never the volvo! the Touareg and Q7 are essentially the same except the badging so i would rule out the VW. What about the ML 320CDI? ...i think MB is on a 0% interest for this month. Check it out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Looks like Q7 prices have reduced by 1.8 lakhs

I'll be going to Delhi in coming few days for a test drive and finalize the deal for a new Q7. Any suggestions are welcome from current owners of Q7. I like lava grey and would prefer to stick with 18 inches. Any options that are must haves ? Is stock Audi music system good enough or should I go for Bose one.

While in Delhi I'd like to check out other probable options. Who knows there could be a change of heart. Options are (diesel ones only)

- BMW X5 (For brand, reliability)
- VW Touareg (For looks)
- Volvo XC 90 (For practicality)
Old 18th December 2008, 17:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

@Entropy- Try the Bose one as nothing compares to the effect it gives in the sound systems when it comes to clarity.
Something tells me you will finalize Q7 itself
Old 26th December 2008, 11:14   #19
Senior - BHPian

I happen to have seen this car. You will easily get it for 50L, the warranty will hold for the two year period.

I would personally go for the Volvo XC90, you will get a brand new car at even much less than 50L (with discount), unless ofcourse you are a big fan of the Q7 - If yo do want the Q7 & only the Q7, then go for it, there is nothing wrong with the car. It is in perfect condition.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 26th December 2008 at 11:16.
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:08   #20
BHPian

Confused like hell ...

(Mods: Please change the title to "Which SUV in 50-55 lakhs")

Folks

Went to Delhi for couple of days to show these vehicles to my better half as her approval is very important :-).

Q7: Was rejected on looks and HUGE size. The space inside though good doesn't quite matches with the exterior dimensions. Seats do not feel very comfy and you begin to wonder what's the point of all this hugeness. Effectively a 5 seater. Mild off-roading ok.

XC90: interesting. But a bit too costly for what is offered. D5 not very exciting and V8 is quite thirsty. No 7 seat options available (except ocean race edition). 7 seats would be available six months later but still these would be essentially for kids. Not great off-road.

X5: Too expensive for budget. I'll give a pass.

X3: Topgear JC has very "nice" words for this machine. Do check out the topgear site. Despite this we kinda liked the test drive but the looks are dated, not very well equipped and off road capabilities in question. Somehow did not feel the urge to buy. Overall not a good VFM comparatively. If and when 2010 X3 comes it could be a good option (equipment, appearence)

So I get confused now what to do with my 50-55 lakhs budget for which I have the approval.

Ok we did not consider Touareg. Went to VW showroom. No vehicles in stock so test drive not possible. But somehow I like this vehicle for the presumably better off-roading skills and sharing bits with Cayenne. Showed the brochure and details to my and she approves. In fact she recommends !!. Voila ...

So my question is. If I'm in the market with about 50-55 lakhs budget and looking for 5 seater luxury SUV that can take up the occasional off-road challenge (esp. country side in a rainy season with muck all around) would Touareg 3.0 TDI be a good option. Please advice so that can I proceed with booking before she changes her mind again

Thanks
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

I'll also suggest a land cruiser over a used Q7.
However if you have an option of a new luxury SUV, do consider the VW Touareg as well.
Its pretty good too.

EDIT : Sorry did not read your last post.

The Touareg 3.0 is a good car.
I even like the looks of it and the car is quick. I personally have seen it move.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 3rd January 2009 at 17:45.
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:22   #22
BHPian

I think the Toureg with the right set of alloys looks the best of the lot. The only dissapointing part is the gearbox (kickdown takes too long) and the steering (over assisted - lacks feel). Otherwise the car is great, I would put my money on a well specd toureg.
Old 3rd January 2009, 22:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post

So my question is. If I'm in the market with about 50-55 lakhs budget and looking for 5 seater luxury SUV that can take up the occasional off-road challenge (esp. country side in a rainy season with muck all around) would Touareg 3.0 TDI be a good option. Please advice so that can I proceed with booking before she changes her mind again
Nice car. Nothing particularly wrong with it. The car is quick as mentioned by abhinav.gupta88. I have seen a couple of them in Vadodara. Looks bigger when you actually see it on the road rather than see in magazines and computer. Weakest like can be the typical VW group problems i.e. A.S & S. Also for almost the same money, you can also look at Prosche Cayanee. But being diesel, I would say Toureag is better buy despite the fact that it does not have a very high brang image when compared with Audi or Porshce.
Old 7th January 2009, 05:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Why dont you take a look at the ML320 cdi as well. You can get a speedy opinion about it from one of our members.

Last edited by Mpower : 7th January 2009 at 08:41.
Old 7th January 2009, 10:45   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

mpower- the ml320cdi is beyond his budget
Old 7th January 2009, 16:52   #26
BHPian

Need some education

Ok. I have almost decided on Touareg V6 3.0 TDI. There are couple of things I'd like to have some gyaan from gurus on this forum.

1. I intend that this vehicle has decent off-road capability. It has full time 4WD with Electronic differential lock. I'm opting for an air suspension to allow greater clearances and manual setup of the suspension mode (comfort, sport, auto). Should I opt for something known as "Rear differential lock" ?. Essentially this would allow the driver to manually lock both the center and/or rear differentials proactively. Can someone educate me if this would help considering our monsoons and muck that we can get in the country sides (basically I'm looking for a confidence to venture in those water logged areas if need be.). This option would add about 60K to the price.

2. There is another "driving dynamics package with adaptive roll damping". Has someone experienced it firsthand. This would add about 2lakhs to the price. I'm confused whether to go for this option.

Any education on above two would greatly help.
PS: Mods can you please the title to "Which SUV in 50-55 lakhs" pleeaaase ...
Old 7th January 2009, 17:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
... But being diesel, I would say Toureag is better buy despite the fact that it does not have a very high brang image when compared with Audi or Porshce.
Well that is good in one way. Less brand image is better for me as long as there isn't much compromise on the quality. High brand image cars invite trouble (at least where I currently make my dough)
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:44   #28
BHPian

Booked Touareg 3.0 TDI, 176 kW

Finally booked the Touareg today after several weeks of confusion between XC90/Q7/Touareg. Finally I realized I'm not looking for a wagon/van/crossover but an SUV with near go anywhere capability, powerful engine and decent on road manners plus some presence. And oh yes .. tank like build/feel. I think Touareg ticks all these attributes. My only concern is about reliability but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Good thing is that VW dealership is now open in my city so it added to the peace of mind.

Thanks to Re depreciation, the OTR would be around 54 lakhs. I have'nt opted for the rear differential lock and the dynamic package. However I have opted for the air suspension, 255/55/R18 alloys etc.

Will post the pics once I have the car in about 3 months from now. The wait starts ...
Old 23rd January 2009, 20:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great choice ! The Germans know their cars ! Have sat in one of the Touaregs. It is mouth watering all right !!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 23rd January 2009 at 20:52.
Old 23rd January 2009, 23:38   #30
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. The toureg would be my choice for SUV's less than 60 lakh price range. Did u get the Dynaudio system option?

Most Viewed