Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:12   #16
BHPian

speedzak, apart from routine service, could you let us know what were the other expenses for? Did you have to replace certain parts frequently?

I know the W124 fuel pumps are notorious for conking out but I'm sure you didn't have to change the fuel pump every year. Or did you?

Last edited by Astleviz : 23rd December 2008 at 12:14.
Old 25th December 2008, 16:16   #17
BHPian

Are there any W124 owners/ experts in Delhi who can help me with testing a few W124s I have identified in Delhi? I have no experience with this particular car and I don't want to end up with a lemon so I need someone to thoroughly test a few cars for me and help me decide.

I have posted a new thread about "used car evaluation services in delhi" but didn't get any response so I am bringing it up here.

I will be coming to Delhi in the first week of Jan to test 3-4 cars and I would really appreciate it if either someone can refer me to a professional valuation service or if someone who has a lot of experience with W124s can spare half a day and come with me for test drives.

Thanks
Old 25th December 2008, 17:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Astleviz - PM me a couple of days before you get here & I'll put you in touch with an expert who can help you evaluate the cars.
Old 25th December 2008, 18:21   #19
BHPian

Thanks iraghava, I'll surely let you know before coming down.
Old 25th December 2008, 20:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Astleviz - PM me a couple of days before you get here & I'll put you in touch with an expert who can help you evaluate the cars.

You mentioned something about a E 250D...any leads on the condition ??

Cheers
Old 26th December 2008, 04:38   #21
BANNED

Regarding the engine, well the 250D mill is quiet rock solid and doesn't act up much.
The consumables are a bit expensive and it needs to be kept well fed too. We use to top it up with Shell/Mobil synthetic oil and most of the other lubricants also used to be from the same brands and OWS was also used very rarely.
All the filters used to cost some bombs. There were many instances when we brought down filters from Dubai.
Engine sensors do get conked up once a while and it's very expensive to replace and a bit difficult to find in domestic market.
Wiring will remain perfect as long as it is looked after by some good electrician. Stay away from any jugaad adjustments on the fuses department as it will blow up many unwanted thingys and will create lots of furore and fireworks which will be very expensive to solve (this comes from a very bad experience).
Alternator is trouble free. But be sure to keep the belts in the correct tension always. Many mechanics tend to use unbranded belts which wears up very fast in this car.

The major repair jobs we faced was:
1. AC compressor and blower unit (bill came to more than a lac at Merc A S S).
2. Alternator and wiring jobs (after a fuse problem, caused a 2 lacs damage).
3. Headlamp assembly (about 80k +/- IIRC).
4. Instrument cluster repair.
5. Fuel pump and fuel line replacement (thanks to the good quality diesel @ highway fuel pumps).

Now, an important thing to notice here is that we had this car for 10 years (97 to 2007). And it covered more than 3lacs of kilometers on all kinds of Indian roads. It always succeeded in gifting us with a smile after each and every journey. The day it left our home, I slept with a heavy heart. :(
Old 26th December 2008, 08:17   #22
BHPian

Take it to an authorized MB showroom and get it checked throughly... treat this expense as a kind of insurance to avoid landing with a lemon! You have seen the costs Zak quoted, hope you can digest them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Are there any W124 owners/ experts in Delhi who can help me with testing a few W124s I have identified in Delhi? I have no experience with this particular car and I don't want to end up with a lemon so I need someone to thoroughly test a few cars for me and help me decide.

I have posted a new thread about "used car evaluation services in delhi" but didn't get any response so I am bringing it up here.

I will be coming to Delhi in the first week of Jan to test 3-4 cars and I would really appreciate it if either someone can refer me to a professional valuation service or if someone who has a lot of experience with W124s can spare half a day and come with me for test drives.

Thanks
Old 26th December 2008, 12:02   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Now, an important thing to notice here is that we had this car for 10 years (97 to 2007). And it covered more than 3lacs of kilometers on all kinds of Indian roads.
You had only 5 major (actually, some aren't that major) repairs in 3.0 lac kms ?! Man, it may sound clichéd....but "they really don't build 'em like they used to".
Old 26th December 2008, 12:10   #24
BHPian

Coz they put a lot of Taiwanese electronics in - instead of german mechanicals :(
Old 27th December 2008, 01:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
You mentioned something about a E 250D...any leads on the condition ??
Was pristine last I asked but that's been a while. Will let you know an update next week.
Old 27th December 2008, 18:04   #26
BANNED

Shocked. But yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You had only 5 major (actually, some aren't that major) repairs in 3.0 lac kms ?!
Those were the jobs which were done in my knowledge other than the routine service it used to go thru every 6 months or 10-15k kms (whichever was earlier). Never had to service it below that and engine oil used to last till 20k plus kms without any problems.

Yes! Mercs are no more like what they were. Our new S class (not even done 10k on odo) has already started showing brake assembly problems. Just heard about it on phone, dunno much details of the problem.

I've just got a very good W124 E300 as my drive here in Lagos. Supposed to be chauffer driven but he gets to go home without any job most of the time. LOL! It brings with it a lot of nostalgic memories. The wooden finish of the facia alone is to die for! Why doesn't the new mercs give the same feeling?
If there's a Merc to own, it's the 124. Period.
Old 27th December 2008, 19:42   #27
rippergeo

This thread helped me realise that, though I may be able to afford buying one, I'm no way going to be able to maintain one. But, it is such a lovely car...sigh! Will I invite the wrath of vintage enthusiasts if I call it a classic?

Old 27th December 2008, 20:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Will I invite the wrath of vintage enthusiasts if I call it a classic?
So call it a "modern classic". Now how many cars in this world fit that bill? It's design is timeless, considering that it is almost 20 years old and still a head turner and it is more modern than most modern cars on the road as far as refinement, ride, build quality and safety features go. Well maybe I am exaggerating a bit, but instead of a new magnum or cedia, I have decided to plonk my money on a 10-12 year old W124.

Unfortunately (to quote U2), I still haven't found (the W124) I'm looking for.
Old 27th December 2008, 20:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Exactly my feelings Astle. I am no expert but call me when you are in Delhi. Ill pm you my number. Ill be back in Delhi around 4th Jan.
Old 20th January 2009, 17:26   #30
BHPian

Does anyone have any info on the reliability of W124s with auto trannies? I found this nice W124 in mumbai but it has an automatic gear box, I would appreciate any help on this matter as I want to close this deal if a few of you merc experts can confirm the reliability of auto transmissions in W124s.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks