Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 02:47   #46
BHPian

Not a geat start to my W124 hunt. I had shortlisted 3 cars for the td, unfortunately one car had been sold off just a couple of days ago.

I called up the second guy to fix up a time for the td and he said it might take a day or two before I could check out the car since he was carrying out some repair work. After a little while, he divulged that he was replacing the clutch. Now I am not so sure about this car since I was told that the car was in mint condition with absolutely no work and now just before the td, he had to carry out some repair work. This was an automatic W124 and had done less than 50,000 km, not sure how the clutch would conk out unless the car had been abused or neglected.

I'll test another car in a day or two but this car has already had 4 owners so I am not too keen on that.

I guess that it's going to be a while and several test drives before I can find that mint condition W124 but I am sure the wait is going to be worth it.
Old 25th January 2009, 02:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

How is he going to replace a clutch in an automatic?
Old 25th January 2009, 03:14   #48
BHPian

I'm not sure. Maybe he meant the torque converter but he referred to it as the clutch. Infact he initially said it's some minor repair work, but when I pushed for more details, he said he is replacing the clutch, that's what got me wondering if he was holding back on something.

Last edited by Astleviz : 25th January 2009 at 03:17.
Old 1st November 2009, 01:18   #49

This is one thread that helped me the most as I am also planning to visit Mumbai to get my dream car. So Astleviz did you check the cars in Mumbai and what challenges did you face there. Have you come across any good dealers there. I am eager to hear your story. Would appreciate if you can share your Mumbai story.
Old 4th November 2009, 11:02   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
An overhaul should not cost you more than 50K including all the bushes and foundations-engine and gearbox.
I have personal experience of this job and 50000 is a wrong figure. Atleast a lakh.
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:19   #51
BHPian

Personally, I never owned a Merc but definately want to have a W124 Diesel merc with me in Goa. I have never been impressed with the latter version in the E-series. it appears that a lot of research has gone by many knowledgeable people on the forum which is of great value. I found this link as good resource:
MB.AUTO.PL - Dok. serwisowa CD1

I had a (4 yrs old) BMW 320i several years back (UAE lady driven!) excellent machine but abused by previous owner. i spend a lot on maintainence. My friend has A6 Audi 2005 model, it has already started giving him problems.
Merc has always been reliable and affordable machines and that is what is prompting me to own one.
Can anyone PM me with some information on sourcing the car? Astleviz, any decent repair guys in goa besides the agency?

Buying time horizon: Feb ~ May 2010.

I read somewhere that cars over 15 years old in India will not be allowed on road? (hope I am wrong!). My dad has a 1980 fiat premier (mint condition), he will definately be upset with this news if it is true.

Thanks.
Old 6th December 2009, 09:11   #52
BHPian

For all those who love W124, i have not seen any thing in better shape . check out this car!!

/// Road & Track /// Auto Catalyst

its for sale !!! 250D automatic, 92 modal imported. contact is also give in website. he owns one indian modal also.

Grab it if you can!!!
Old 7th December 2009, 10:15   #53
BHPian

Looks neat, but i suspect with the car being in the hands of a sheet metal worker. Have you seen this car in person?

Do you know the history? ownership - TN car in KL? and import - duty paid or grey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms_2191 View Post
For all those who love W124, i have not seen any thing in better shape . check out this car!!

its for sale !!! 250D automatic, 92 modal imported. contact is also give in website. he owns one indian modal also.

Grab it if you can!!!

Last edited by AirWind : 7th December 2009 at 10:16.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Looks neat, but i suspect with the car being in the hands of a sheet metal worker.
Those who knows Kurian will know that he is not just a "Sheet metal worker"

Have you seen this car in person?

well, he bought this car for his car for his father from a known person. i have seen this in person. its genune.

Quote:
Do you know the history? ownership - TN car in KL? and import - duty paid or grey?
Dont know much about it? you have to ask him if you are intersted. Phone number is given in website.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th December 2009 at 20:09. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 7th December 2009, 19:57   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Grab it if you can!!!
Why would anyone buy a '92 E250D import for 5.5 lakhs, when you can buy a '95 - '97 Indian E250D for lesser money? The Indian E250 will be newer, no bother with import papers, have atleast a 3 - 5 year service record at a Benz dealership and is localised.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

They are asking for an unjustified premium becasue the car is in a unique color and intact. Still far from being a classic priced with a prmium! Go for the Indian cars a lot has been topicalised for India so it will be newer and better able
Old 8th December 2009, 15:32   #57
BHPian

No offence meant! The car sure looks well maintained and "hot". I'm referring this to my friend who is in the market for a classic, let me see if he is interested.

Quote:
Those who knows Kurian will know that he is not just a "Sheet metal worker"
The other uniqueness being the AT, have come across only one so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
They are asking for an unjustified premium becasue the car is in a unique color and intact. Still far from being a classic priced with a prmium! Go for the Indian cars a lot has been topicalised for India so it will be newer and better able
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why would anyone buy a '92 E250D import for 5.5 lakhs, when you can buy a '95 - '97 Indian E250D for lesser money? The Indian E250 will be newer, no bother with import papers, have atleast a 3 - 5 year service record at a Benz dealership and is localised.
And a Chennai license plate fetches low resale. Have to watch the import papers.
Old 9th December 2009, 18:05   #58
BHPian

Quote:
For all those who love W124, i have not seen any thing in better shape .
You can find W124's which are better(may be not in this color), this one has cloth interior(which is better avoided). W124's should always be seen in person, in pictures they look better than they actually are

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There is an exception here, if you can find a well maintained 93-94 model it will be economical than '95 - 97' models, specially for E 220.

Below is the plus points I can list
1) No wiring harness issue
2) Engine is not de-tuned, no speed limit, better economy.
3) Better quality interior items like roof light, sun visor etc.
Old 12th December 2009, 12:16   #59
BHPian

Hi guys

Team-BHP Classifieds - mercedez benz E220 '96 - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Just a word of advice. I tried contacting the above seller regarding the Merc he has for sale and he hasnt responded yet. I have been trying to get in touch with him for the last 2 weeks now and still no response. My dad had spoken to him a while ago and he told him that the car was en route to BLR and that he will call and let him know when it had arrived. Till this day he hasnt returned my dad's calls and seems to have disappeared off the radar. Seems fishy to me so just letting my fellow BHPians know. Beware!!!

On a different note, I am on the look out for a decent W124 E class (Sedan or coupe). If someone here knows of any for sale please PM or email me.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

Airwind ask for BL (bill of ladding) it mentions amount duty paid and cost of car FOB. The entire duty paid computation is stated on this. Don't go by some RC book hand written crap I seen people try and pass of as customs entries! They will show some stamps next to this writing which is all fake. They need to show you import docs. On the other hand this stuff does not matter very much in the case of w124 but knowing the way DRI is getting tighter and meaner one never knows!

Last edited by canonball : 15th December 2009 at 11:48.

Most Viewed