Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2009, 13:35   #1
BHPian

Which car to buy ? Please help this new born grease monkey

Greetings respected members.
I am Aneesh and 20 years old,studying final year of my engineering.
Because of recession car prices have got down to very low and I think it's the right time to change our entire cars.Right now we are using a maruti alto,a hyundai accent,an ambassdor which is 15 years old and a lancer.

My dad is pretty sentimental about cars and he always goes by his ambassdor because he got that car with his first salary.Now he is retired and both of my parents being doctors,they stay in guntur and my dad needs to travel around 100 kms up and down to the hospital where he works right now.And my dad has also undergone a by-pass surgery,he is unable to take down the stress in travelling and he just cant stay at home and take rest.

We decided to get premium cars and I have very less knowledge in cars and their comfort and their selection.According to my friends advise,Mercedes would do good for people like my dad.And also I am done with my car driving license and my dad accepted to get a car for me.I did a test drive for Bmw m3 e92,audi a6 and bmw 530d.I am also interested in test driving a touareg and audi q7.

Bottom line is we want to buy 3 cars at a time,because of no excise duty and lots of discounts.
1 car is for my dad and other 2 cars are a sedan and an suv.
So please advise me and this my humble request,because i dont have any knowledge on cars.Though we have money to buy premium cars,I want to get the best.So please advise me the best of the best.I really cant trust any other and i have been seeing all the topics in this forum around a year.I will take the advise from this forum as the last one and will book the cars.And I am not concerned with budget,Any budget would do good and only premium cars.

Thankyou.
Old 1st February 2009, 09:46   #2
BHPian

any suggestions please ? I am seriously waiting for your replies dear members.
Old 1st February 2009, 10:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi there, Welcome to Team BHP

You havent mentioned if your dad would be self driving the car himself or would be driven around. If you are looking for 3 cars I would suggest

1. BMW 530d for your dad ( Diesel since your dad will do 100 kms a day)
2. Audi Q7 or wait for the Landcruiser
3. A Honda Accord as the third car.

Anything specific you looking at?
Old 1st February 2009, 12:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Hi there, Welcome to Team BHP

You havent mentioned if your dad would be self driving the car himself or would be driven around. If you are looking for 3 cars I would suggest

1. BMW 530d for your dad ( Diesel since your dad will do 100 kms a day)
2. Audi Q7 or wait for the Landcruiser
3. A Honda Accord as the third car.

Anything specific you looking at?
No my dad's car is a chauffer driven.But i heard that Mercedes will do good for old people ?.Landcruiser prado ? you mean petrol ? How about Vw Touareg ?
No accord,already one of our cousins have got an accord and his brother owns a civic.I want anything from audi as the third car.

Regarding Suv,I need proper control and handling,power and speed
And the car for my dad,I want the best comfort he can get and should enjoy the ride in his car.

And the third car,any luxury segment model to show off.

And thanks for your generous reply.
Old 1st February 2009, 13:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BmwAddict : And my dad has also undergone a by-pass surgery,he is unable to take down the stress in travelling and he just cant stay at home and take rest.
Better if he is driven around. Also because of the distance involved.

Quote:
BmwAddict : Bottom line is we want to buy 3 cars at a time,because of no excise duty and lots of discounts.
Pls explain. No excise duty, discounts, and 3 cars ? Also, are these related /inter-dependent ?
Old 1st February 2009, 13:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

Get the Mercedes E280CDI. Two things you should consider before you take a decision.
The Merc has the best ride and maximum rear seat comfort in its class - something you want if you're chauffeur driven.
Mercedes has a better established service network compared to any other premium marque - something you want when you buy such an expensive car.
As for the SUV, I'd choose the Mitsubishi Montero over either the Q7 or Toureg.
Third car - Hyundai Sonata CRDi. or Toyota Corolla / Camry depending on what size you want.
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Why not the S or the 7 for your dad, if budget is not a concern. Since your dad will occupy the rear seat for all the 100 kms, it would make more sense. Get the base models and load it up with creature comforts to his taste.
Old 3rd February 2009, 03:05   #8
BHPian

A Few Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwAddict
Regarding Suv,I need proper control and handling,power and speed
Id suggest the BMW X5 for your SUV requirements stated above.

- Or if you want even more performance and an even higher flaunt factor, the Porshe Cayenne is another performance oriented SUV.
- Q7 is huge in dimensions so i dont know if you would like the hassle of driving it & parking it in the city since im guessing it will be self driven.

So for your SUV requirements id suggest:
1. Id say the BMW X5 would be a good bet & seeing from your nick, you like Beemers.
2. The Mitsubishi Outlander is a cheaper alternative but a very competent SUV nonetheless. Its fun to drive, handles well, has a nice exhaust note, looks great, comes loaded with an excellent Rockford Fosgate sound system and those rear LED taillamps are out of this world.
Which car to buy ? Please help this new born grease monkey-outlander-back.jpg
Buy some great aftermarket alloys after buying it and this SUV would be a real show stopper. It looks mean in Red Colour.
Which car to buy ? Please help this new born grease monkey-outlander.jpg
Plus, it is excellent Value For Money & if your looking to buy something different from the rest, the Outlander is definately your best bet.

Quote:
And the car for my dad,I want the best comfort he can get and should enjoy the ride in his car.
1. Best comfort for your Dad. Well, if you can wait, then the New Nissan Teana should be coming soon with collosal comfort & sofa seats but then again, there is no set launch date. Only gripe with this car would be that Nissan has a lmited dealer network.

2. The New Skoda Superb should be launching soon too, but like the Teana, it hasnt launched yet. [Knowing Skoda, it will most probably have a Diesel]
Which car to buy ? Please help this new born grease monkey-new-superb.jpg

3. Cars already available, id say go for an Audi A6 or a Merc E Class.
With regards to the Merc E Class, worth mentioning is that it is due for replacement this year with an updated version so if your OK with that, its a good buy. Also, due to this fact, Merc is offering great discounts on the E Class.

Quote:
And the third car,any luxury segment model to show off.
In case you dont buy the Nissan Teana or Skoda Superb, they would make a great fit here. The Nissan Teana looks awesome and the Superb is no less, it looks very very classy. The Superb was showcased at the Motor Show in Mumbai at the end of 2008 & it looked gorgeous.
And if you want to buy right away, the Audi A4 is the perfect candidate as a show off car
Old 3rd February 2009, 05:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Aneesh,

You want 3 cars:

Your father:
Diesel, Best ride comfort.
I would suggest the Sonata Transform CRDi for him. It is very spacious, a diesel and has really good ride quality. It is even more spacious than the E Class and as comfortable too.
Plus, this is a whole lot cheaper as well.
This is a similar discussion I had with my mom, where I tried to convince her how it made more sense to get a cheaper and more comfortable sedan over a premium sedan which isn't as comfortable or spacious but instead comes with loads of gadgets which one never needs. A Mercedes wouldn't like to be driven a 100km a day and one would need to be really careful when driving that beast as well. Avoid BMW's with the run flat tyres, though they aren't as bad as they are made to sound.

You:
SUV, fun to Drive:
Porsche Cayenne anyone?
If you want a Diesel, the X5 and Q7 are quite closely matched in premium SUV's.

3rd Car:
To show off from the Premium Segment:
How about the new 7 series for family outings where it would be used the most?
Or as a Sunday morning car, why not a Porsche 911 or for practicality sakes a Mercedes CLS?
Even the A5 would be a good choice.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:42   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I must say thats a mighty jump from your current stable. I think it's best to first get a budget from your father on what he plans to shell out for the wardrobe makeover, because the options that are currently being thrown out here will run in to crores of rupees.

Btw, your profile states that you already have a BMW M3 coupe?!

Last edited by Sahil : 3rd February 2009 at 13:44.
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:03   #11
BHPian

Nice to hear that somebody is not bothered about the budget. Wish i could do it.
Old 4th February 2009, 00:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Bmw 730ld for your dad
Toyota landcruiser (Diesel) as your suv
Audi a4 3.2 (since you wanted something from audi that you could show off)
Old 11th February 2009, 14:32   #13
BHPian

A Merce S class for dad. (Chauffeur driven)

Audi Q7 as SUV.

Accord AT (for self / Chauffeur driven) as a third car.
Old 19th February 2009, 11:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I must say thats a mighty jump from your current stable. I think it's best to first get a budget from your father on what he plans to shell out for the wardrobe makeover, because the options that are currently being thrown out here will run in to crores of rupees.

Btw, your profile states that you already have a BMW M3 coupe?!
Thanks for your replies and I have got an Audi A8 for my dad and it's a chauffer driven.He is really very much happy with it.Before getting the Audi a8,one of our family members advised to go for Lexus LS600h.But my dad did not like it and also MB-s-350.However,he is happy with his new Audi A8,which was delivered last week.Luckily we got the car in a week,as there were 8 bookings for audi a8 along with me,around 10 or 11 days.

@sahil sir :(
asking dad to buy me a m3 e92,I am currently using my uncles 2008 CR-V.

And regarding other cars,we will be waiting for 2 more months,as this audi a8 costed alot ! and it's in guntur and I am at hyderabad,I will be going for guntur very soon and will post the pics of my dazzling Audi a8
Old 2nd March 2009, 11:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

A8 is a fantastic car.

Wait for the new Superb which is about to be launched.

As for the SUV , a Cayenne should be perfect for you.

Most Viewed