Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 18:59   #1
BHPian

Used Skoda 2002 1.9 TDI or Merc E 300D

Hi Mates

One of my friend who works in Pune is struck to decide between Used Skoda 1.9 TDI and Merc E300D. he got the following deals in hand

Skoda 1.9 TDI 2002, Driven 50K for 4,00,000/-
- Single Owner, Black
- Some Dealer on Carwale.com

Merc E300D 1996, round lights, Driven 65K for 4,50,000/-
- Second Owner, Black
- AutomalIndia, Mumbai

Please let me know your opinions on the same.

He is working at a middle management level in an IT company and owns lancer and innova. He would use this car for his office drive and for weekend parties, please suggest.

Old 5th February 2009, 14:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Merc for novelty.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

96 MB round light is a grey import and something is a miss the price is less and there is no such thing as a good deal so I would suggest a detailed inspection from a merc technicians as I suspect it needs work or has had a shunt
Old 5th February 2009, 15:23   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Friends climbing up the ladder, eh?

1. Firstly : what is his preference? Practicality only? If yes, then it has to be the Octavia. The 1.9TDi is reliable (much more than the Laura), reasonably quick and fuel-efficient. Plus, its newer. However, the Octavia is also pretty small on the inside and feels outdated.

2. Run a check on the Merc. Tata was already selling their E250D in '96 and thus, not too many would import an E300 for additional $$$.

3. Either car seems to have run unbelievably low mileage for a diesel. Even if the Mercs 65K is genuine (which I doubt) and it is a 300D (which I doubt), I'd pass since that generation was known for its trouble-some nature. In fact, Mercedes started their quality descent with this E-Class.

Test them and update us with observations. That'll give a clearer picture.

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2009 at 15:24.
Old 5th February 2009, 17:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

GTO He is talking about W210 not W124 I recall seeing 3 E300D (W210) and 1 E220 CDI (cross overmodel without the upgraded look and triptronic sold in Europe for 5 months). One was Maroon saw it in Mumbai many times it was in elegance trim with sunroof and 16inch alloys and the others were white in Pune and coimbatore not sure about the black one reitz is talking about

Last edited by canonball : 5th February 2009 at 17:51.
Old 5th February 2009, 22:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
GTO He is talking about W210 not W124 I recall seeing 3 E300D (W210) and 1 E220 CDI (cross overmodel without the upgraded look and triptronic sold in Europe for 5 months). One was Maroon saw it in Mumbai many times it was in elegance trim with sunroof and 16inch alloys and the others were white in Pune and coimbatore not sure about the black one reitz is talking about
Hi Mates

Thanks for your quick updates, I had suggested a reliable W124 in place of W200/ W210 as per our other threads where in W124 was found the most reliable Merc around with low electronic parts and hassle free drive.

As per the views of Cannonball he clearly points the doubt of the condition of the car I have asked him to call the dealer and check for more details.

Also Identified a Merc Mechanic name d Suresh who runs a Garage on the B.T Kawade Road/ Ghorpadi of Pune. Seems this guy has few Mercs (w124) ranging from 3.5 to 5. Heard about Amit Thakker in Mumbai who also deals in Mercs and has a good stock of W124..... please suggest some known dealers and deals that you might come across.\

As far as I am concerned I feel he should opt of the skoda.

I am also in lookout for a good car and am reqesting for review on the Toyota Sprinter Marino AKA Toyota Ceres, have identified one in Pune (Belongs to friend) for 4L, and one in chennai for 3.5L (Belongs to new Team BHPian)

Please post your suggestions
Old 6th February 2009, 15:59   #7
BHPian

reitz, Since you are also looking to buy one...

Getting cars from other states to Karnataka(Bangalore) is costly now(Since April 2007). You need invoice for car however old it is, else RTO will use some reference number which is usually high.

E.g: If you are getting a car manufactured in 1997 with price say 20 Lacs into Karnataka your tax will be 41% of 14% of 20L + 10% cess ~1.2 L

Factor this cost in when buying cars from other state, see http://rto.kar.nic.in/TaxaAmen2008.pdf
Old 9th February 2009, 10:32   #8
BHPian

Go for Merce straight away.

However you can also think of getting used 2002 range accord also. A great car & its extremely reliable. Will fit in your budget easily.

IT will also not pinch you up while maintaining (Merce will let you cry!!)

Most Viewed