Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 13:12   #46
BHPian

Re: Buy or Not: Hyundai Sonata Transform 2.4 VVT (Petrol, Manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilj View Post
We plan to get a Tomasetto/BRC/equivalent Sequential CNG kit on it.
I wouldn't recommend it. A CNG kit means a lot of maintenance costs down the line. Plus, one of the big benefits of the Sonata is the very large and capacious boot. With the rear seats folded, it is simply enormous. I should know - I transported half my household belongings from Delhi to Poona by driving down with the car. Sticking a CNG cylinder in there means you'll lose all that, not to mention affecting the weight distribution of the car.

Quote:
Though, the headliner is coming out on the rear end, making it sag
Very odd. I have a 2008 Sonata Embera A/T petrol, and there is no such problem. The car is actually very well put together. Did the previous owner try to fit an aftermarket rear sunshade or something and end up ripping out the rear end of the headliner?

Quote:
The car does drive like a snail, reaching barely 60-65kmph, where my Rolla would do 80, and 80-85, when Rolla would be well past 100! (Didn't time or anything, just an estimate). Later I test drove a Manual Diesel priced at 8.5lac by a dealer, just for comparison sakes, and that was only marginally better. So, I guess this ain't a real problem (except for the enthusiast in me, that is)

The car in question (2009 Sonata Transform 2.4 VVT Manual Petrol) though drives very smoothly, makes a very heavy *thump* sort of a sound whenever it passes over potholes and speed-breakers. It feels as if the car literally has a tonne of weight stuck into its boot! (I checked, boot was empty )
I'm a very sedate driver, but when I've wanted it to the Sonata has been able to accelerate quickly enough out of the blocks.

The THUMP sounds like suspension trouble to me.

Quote:
According to the seller, the car was some Hyundai Exec's official car for the first 3 years of its life. The current seller is selling due to changed job profile demanding daily travel of 100+km, and lives in Gurgaon (Says only 2-3 CNG Pumps, takes 45+min/refill)

The heavy thump noise, the expired insurance, and the low price certainly does raise eyebrows about the legitimacy of the deal (at least for myself and my folks). Is there any other precaution/check that I should do? How exactly to determine if the car is accidental or has been involved in a police case?
What does this thumping sound indicate?
Take the car registration number to any Hyundai service station, and ask them for the car's service history. Then cross-reference that with the ownership and mileage claims.

Quote:
How is the reliability, maintenance, and repair of the Sonata Transform?
And the larger question, should we even go for a Sonata Transform? From what I've read on the forum, it seems like a decent and reliable car. But, the guy at the service centre as well as at Ghai Motors (Major stockist in Delhi) advised against it for its uber-expensive and rarely-available spares. How true/accurate is that? Would it be a better choice to rather go for the 2004-06 Accord? (It's cheaper by a whole 1.5lac too)
Uber-expensive spares? I think not. Everything for the car is made here in India and are readily available, unlike parts for say, a Camry, which are all imported from Japan. And in my opinion, the parts are reasonably-priced.

Overall, the Sonata is a fine and reliable car. Its well-made, large, spacious, fairly luxurious, drives well, and looks nice. The only downer is the mileage, but given its weight and bulk, it's obviously going to give you less mileage than a lightweight hatchback. Keep in mind that you are saving up-front costs vis-a-vis buying a diesel. A diesel Sonata Transform of the same year would easily cost you at least twice as much, say 8 - 9 lakhs, so that should justify the extra running costs.

Finally, remember that the beauty of the used car market is that you can simply walk away from any car that does not meet your every single requirement down to the T. If you even feel slightly hesitant about a particular car, just walk away. Never feel pressured into buying anything. There will be another one soon enough.
Pacifica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2014, 19:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

While the car does come with brilliant ride quality, its motor, design (inside and out), and dynamic capabilities, made me think it was a little incomplete.

The Accord and Camry are what I recommend. Perhaps even a used Teana

PS: Not saying that the Camry, Accord or Teana handle brilliantly, but these aspect don't stick out like a sore thumb, like they do in the Hyundai

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th July 2014 at 19:05.
Old 28th July 2014, 21:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
I wouldn't recommend it. A CNG kit means a lot of maintenance costs down the line. Plus, one of the big benefits of the Sonata is the very large and capacious boot. With the rear seats folded, it is simply enormous. I should know - I transported half my household belongings from Delhi to Poona by driving down with the car. Sticking a CNG cylinder in there means you'll lose all that, not to mention affecting the weight distribution of the car.

Very odd. I have a 2008 Sonata Embera A/T petrol, and there is no such problem. The car is actually very well put together. Did the previous owner try to fit an aftermarket rear sunshade or something and end up ripping out the rear end of the headliner?

I'm a very sedate driver, but when I've wanted it to the Sonata has been able to accelerate quickly enough out of the blocks.

The THUMP sounds like suspension trouble to me.

Take the car registration number to any Hyundai service station, and ask them for the car's service history. Then cross-reference that with the ownership and mileage claims.

Uber-expensive spares? I think not. Everything for the car is made here in India and are readily available, unlike parts for say, a Camry, which are all imported from Japan. And in my opinion, the parts are reasonably-priced.

Overall, the Sonata is a fine and reliable car. Its well-made, large, spacious, fairly luxurious, drives well, and looks nice. The only downer is the mileage, but given its weight and bulk, it's obviously going to give you less mileage than a lightweight hatchback. Keep in mind that you are saving up-front costs vis-a-vis buying a diesel. A diesel Sonata Transform of the same year would easily cost you at least twice as much, say 8 - 9 lakhs, so that should justify the extra running costs.

Finally, remember that the beauty of the used car market is that you can simply walk away from any car that does not meet your every single requirement down to the T. If you even feel slightly hesitant about a particular car, just walk away. Never feel pressured into buying anything. There will be another one soon enough.
I second everything that Pacifica has written about.
In fact I was replying to your message suggesting you to check with another T-BHPian who owns a petrol AT and I thought let me check the thread and lo, Pacifica has his opinion here already.

I cannot say anything about the particular car you have seen, however by and large, Hyundai's are known to be fairly reliable, I think I wouldn't be exaggerating when I say they are pretty close to Honda and Toyota, of course Toyota and Honda being older have perfected the "keep it simple and reliable" formula and there are plenty road worthy examples from the 80's/90's which built their reputation, a period when Hyundai was in nascent phase, but they learnt quick.

I use a Diesel Embera, apart from a regular service schedule, annoying turbo lag (would love to know if there is a way to fix this), overtly soft suspension (may need some work here), okayish FE, fortunately I haven't been bothered much (comparatively the Fabia needs regular attention), I clocked about 16k kms in the past 1 year, I think I cracked an Alloy on my pothole ridden trip through KA to Kerala, it took about 2+ months but the dealer managed to source it, since Hyundai is pretty famous for their expensive labor charges, I take it to a friendlier BOSCH workshop for odd jobs.

Parts sourcing takes time but I believe Sonata being a relatively popular model in Singapore/Thailand, genuine parts are available through importers, spares are expensive (cheaper comparatively in that segment), the alloy wheel is 13k, also through Hyundai Advantage I changed the headrest and sun visor (complimentary) and each was about 7k.

If the example you are deciding on seems is well maintained (after your thorough check), I don't think you should see out of schedule bills except for fuel bills. Pacifica could tell you more on the FE part.

Positives, its well built, (eg. the sun glass holder feels better built than the one in the current Sonata, I believe the German R&D team had some hand in its development), acres of space, humongous boot, graceful design, user friendliness, some areas where it is equal or competitive.
Am I happy with our Embera, until now YES.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 28th July 2014 at 22:02.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:52   #49
BHPian

Re: Close to a decision - Hyundai Sonata Transform EDIT - Now Bought

One more thing, you may have to forget about resale as this car won't fetch you much a couple of years down (assuming you continue to use this Petrol AT for 2/3 years), moreover it already is 2nd owner on the RC.

Of course even we went through the same dilemma and concluded if we are to buy any big car new and sell 3 years down, we stand to loose twice this, so its all the same once you consider D segment. Might as well buy and enjoy the big car feel which is priceless.

Unless you are particular about having a big car (for obvious reasons :-)), you may want to consider something like NHC which will be economical, practical (considering Delhi traffic) and reliable. It will fit in budget like hand in glove.

Hyundai is best enjoyed when driven relaxed and let everything around soak in the big car elegance, if you want an enthusiastic drive, you may get a petrol Skoda Octavia which is so so reliable, but conveys hugely opposite signals to your heart, even our little Fabia rides smoother than our Embera.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 28th July 2014 at 22:53.
Old 29th July 2014, 13:35   #50
BHPian

Re: Close to a decision - Hyundai Sonata Transform EDIT - Now Bought

As i replied to your PM, I reply here too. Dont go for it. A Honda Accord is a better deal anyday in terms of reliability, spares and resale. If you have a budget of upto 7-9L, You could get a type 3 accord as well with little on the odo. Sonata you'll have hard time selling off and finding essential spares ! Take this for example My accord's clutch broke down @ mussorie and i had a service center at dehradun who changed it in flat 3 hours ! A Friend who brought my embera waited in Delhi for a week before clutch arrived so that should give you an idea. All the best in your Car Hunt ! CNG is a strict No-No and a decent driving should give you an avg of 10-12 in City driving with Accord MT. When i Got endevour, I had brought a Teanna a day before and swapped it for just for this reason only , that it would be difficult to find spares. Going down the history, once you own a Fiat product (Uno in my case), you learn your lesson never to mess with a car where finding spares would be difficult.

Last edited by delhi2009 : 29th July 2014 at 13:37.
Old 30th July 2014, 15:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to put the "QUESTIONS TO OWNERS" part.

1. Is the car reliable enough to be held till 2019 (10 years from manufacture) and 1lac km?

2. What are the major repairs/replacements, I'm looking at during this period?

3. What are the service costs likes? (Examples would help)

4. How expensive/cheap are spares compared to a 2006 Civic or a 2006 Accord? (10-15% is fine, shouldn't be double)

5. Are spares available at all? I live in Delhi, and I can do with 15-20 days waits, but can't have the car stalled for months at end.

6. Any specific points/parts to check before I seal the deal?

7. Apart from checking Insurance papers for any claims, and having at checked at Hyundai A.S.S. (and following TBHP Used Car Buying Guide), anything else I need to do?
Hey @nikhilj, replying to your queries, please go through the following points:

1. You can very well hold the car till 2019 and beyond. 1 lakh kms. is nothing for Sonata transform's 2.4 litre engine. I have seen cars with mileage upto 3 lakh kms. This car is widely used as cabs in Thailand, Singapore and other nations.

2. You will need to change the timing belt and its idler at around 80,000 kms which is a major repair. Shock absorbers and other parts will need an inspection from Hyundai A.S.S to ascertain their life.

3. A normal routine service (every 10,000 kms) would cost you around 6000-8000 rupees.

4. Spare parts are too cheap compared to that of civic and accord. However, body parts are on the higher side, still cheaper than that of honda's.

5. Spare parts wont be an issue, if the dealer is short of spares, they can order it and arrange it within a week or two. But the parts required for routine service is always stocked well with the dealers.
Point no. 6 and 7 require personal inspection and thorough examination of the vehicle.
aboveallkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 02:45   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveallkaran View Post
Hey @nikhilj, replying to your queries, please go through the following points:

1. You can very well hold the car till 2019 and beyond. 1 lakh kms. is nothing for Sonata transform's 2.4 litre engine. I have seen cars with mileage upto 3 lakh kms. This car is widely used as cabs in Thailand, Singapore and other nations.

2. You will need to change the timing belt and its idler at around 80,000 kms which is a major repair. Shock absorbers and other parts will need an inspection from Hyundai A.S.S to ascertain their life.

3. A normal routine service (every 10,000 kms) would cost you around 6000-8000 rupees.

4. Spare parts are too cheap compared to that of civic and accord. However, body parts are on the higher side, still cheaper than that of honda's.

5. Spare parts wont be an issue, if the dealer is short of spares, they can order it and arrange it within a week or two. But the parts required for routine service is always stocked well with the dealers.
Point no. 6 and 7 require personal inspection and thorough examination of the vehicle.
Thanks a lot for the reply, and terribly sorry for such a late reply. FYI, I got the car, and it's been holding good without any problems

And I couldn:t even fathom that it'd be cheaper to maintain a Sonata than a Civic :O That's some (really good) news to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountMe91 View Post
If you are concerned about specific parts of the car, as I have said get the car thoroughly evaluated from 1-2 good mechanics. They will be able to point out issues if any (with suspension, tie rods, etc). With the budget you have, I don't know why you are not doing for first owner cars. Beats me.

Otherwise for 2009 manufactured car, there is less probability of things going wrong (specially with a Hyundai). Then again I would have preferred a 2007/08 Honda over this deal.
Sorry for the terribly late reply, first of all.
I got the car, and it's doing brilliantly.

And, I personally don't care if a car has had 1 owner or 10. You can have 1 jerk owner, but 2 well-carimg owners, and with knowledge, anubkdu would prefer the latter, and simce there's no way to ascertain that, I just prefer to go by the Conidition of the car, and what the insoection, service records, mechanic, etc. suggest.
Besides, the next best options that I had were at least, 20% more expensive.
And, I did get the car checked at Hyundai A.S.S. and a Bosch Centre before sealing the deal.

Last edited by manson : 12th June 2015 at 18:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks