Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 22:38   #1
BHPian

Close to a decision - Hyundai Sonata Transform EDIT - Now Bought

My baleno has been around since 2000 and i have been wanting to change it for while. Been looking around for something to upgrade to.

- The civic was one choice, but the low ground clearance and did not feel excited driving it, so did not consider it
- The GV was another choice, but the 2.0L engine lacked power and i waited for the 2.4L version, but does not seem to be coming
- The CRV and the previous version of the Accord (do not like the new look) proved to be too expensive
- The skodas and the VW Jetta were ruled out due to lack of rear seat legroom
- The Altis came close, but somehow it did not excite me and i felt that the rear seat legroom was worse than my Baleno
- The Outlander was great, but too expensive
- The Pajero was outdated and expensive

Looked around for second hand cars, but was worried about the maintenance costs especially since most of them were out of warranty..

I have now narrowed down on the Hyundai Sonata Transform - Diesel MT. Seems to be the most economical large car, no problems of a**, spares and maintenance should be OK - the dealer is throwing in a four year maintenance package along with the warranty. Running costs should be cheap and the interiors have been spruced up compared to the previous one. A friend owns two of them - one petrol and the other diesel and is really happy with the cars and support. I dont intent to sell it in a few years, but keep it for atleast 6-8 years, so depreciation value is not a significant problem. The diesel should be a better resale value than the petrol. Getting a trade in value of 1.8L on my old Baleno, so it should work out to around 16.3L with a few odds and ends thrown in - Mudflaps, mats, sunfilm, teflon coating, a full tank of gas - not that there are much accessories that one can ask for..Wondering if i should ask my insurance agent to check on his rates for insurance compared to what is provided by the dealer.

The Superb was a temptation, but the potential A** problems and maintenance costs besides the 4L+ difference is preventing me from taking the plunge - though the price difference is really worth it with all the bells and whistles..
Old 13th March 2009, 23:00   #2
BHPian

Sir,
Looking at your budget and the amount of time you are going to keep the car I think you should look at the Honda accord or civic. The main reason I'd say this is because after using a baleno you would feel the difference in the diesel sonata all though classwise it's a few notches higher.I had a similar dilemma choosin between the sonata and accord.the interiors of accord are any day better and the safety features are more reliable.after sales service is quite economical and comparable with sonata.I'm sure the accord will return more value even after 6-8 years.you should also look out for such comparisons done by experts.looking forward to your buy..
Cheers!
Old 14th March 2009, 00:28   #3
BHPian

we had a petrol sonata for 6 years wonderful ultimate comfort car no problems at all expect for routine servicing only draw back it used to give 6 kpl and resale value is bad
if u are planning to keep the car for 6 years u should make up with the economy of the diesel engine cause the accord will give you around 6 kpl
Old 14th March 2009, 01:33   #4
BHPian

raj upgrading from a baleno m sure you are used to loads of power resting at the disposal of your foot. diesel transform wont disappoint you for sure! loads of torque would be pure bliss plus the new interior and you get projector headlamp. one big point that disturbs me about a 18lac car (no projectors in accord). running cost will also be lower. and also the free stuff from the dealer.
and then i love diesel so maybe baised but you wont go wrong with transform thats for sure!
Old 14th March 2009, 12:46   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can't go wrong with the diesel Transform, especially if you are looking at interior space, heavy running and highway usage.

That said, I'd recommend you toward an Accord test-drive. TD both, back to back, and decide.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:14   #6
BHPian

Petrol Accord is any day better than Sonata.

But yes Diesel Sonata is the most economical luxury sedan available.

The only catch with it is, its resale value (too bad).

So, keep it in mind & than decide.

If you want to keep car for 8 years, than resale will not be an issue, so, close your eyes and go with transform D (a fantastic car).
Old 16th March 2009, 16:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
The Superb was a temptation, but the potential A** problems and maintenance costs besides the 4L+ difference is preventing me from taking the plunge - though the price difference is really worth it with all the bells and whistles..
If you can afford it, then why not??? Its the new one on the block and will give you the novelty factor... it's truely 7 star on wheels!
Old 16th March 2009, 16:36   #8
BHPian

The Interiors of the new transform are a generation ahead of the old ones. Almost as good if not as good as the accord. Now with the price increase the Accord has become a lot more expensive for nothing but the badge and bad FE. Good torque, enough place to lounge around and great Hyundai network makes the Transform a good proposition. Just wish the grille was a BIT better.
Old 16th March 2009, 17:01   #9
BHPian

thanks guys.. I decided that i had already stretched my budget and another 4-5L+ for the Superb was too much, though the is a great package. I booked the transform Crdi MT, and should get delivery of it middle of next week. I dont aim to sell it for atleast 6 years, so not too worried about the drop in value..
Old 16th March 2009, 17:09   #10
BHPian

Congrats on a wonderful car! Am sure the car will keep you very entertained on the highways and equally so in the city ( If you in the back specially! ). The sonata feels a lot more special in its current guise. Have fun!! Looking forward to an ownership experience soon!
Old 16th March 2009, 17:20   #11
BHPian

Why not Skoda Laura?

Hyundai Sonata is a terrific car and its the best VFM.However,Hyundai is not really a very strong brand.Thats where I guess Skoda Laura comes in.Its a beautiful looking car(awarded the world's most beautiful car in 2006 or 07),very well built,has a slick DSG and very very good FE.Thats the best car in 15-16L category and will be economical to maintain.The only blemish is the Skoda *** which leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 16th March 2009, 17:46   #12
BHPian

Why not the Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
The only blemish is the Skoda *** which leaves a lot to be desired.
That's why and the rear leg space..My expectations are a zero hassle between servicing points and the Japanese cars deliver it. The Hyundai does not have the snob value, but that is not a high priority on my list.. I need a car that will give me good service, decent interiors, safe, economical to run and is not a dog while driving.. I rarely redline unlike most of you. As far as what i have read from the experience of fellow BHP'ians, the only two negative points are snob value and resale value.. the earlier model had some turbolag for city driving, but i found the new one seemed to be OK.. Lets see if Hyundai lives up to my expectations!
Old 17th March 2009, 00:26   #13
Team-BHP Support

good choice. it will definitely last you much longer than 6 years with that stonker of an engine. enjoy your car.
Old 17th March 2009, 11:32   #14
BHPian

Congrats.

Excellent decision.

Do post good no of pics & initial ownership reviews.

We are waiting for your experience with the Fantastic Transform.

Have you taken extended warranty?
Old 17th March 2009, 11:40   #15
BHPian

Extended Warranty

loving_alaap, it comes with 4 years and 80k warranty standard. Rajgraj mud flaps and mats are standard on this car, not additional accessory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks