Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 18:33   #46
BHPian

Quickdraw, please mention the Size of the rim too, the sizings you gave are too vague without their rim sizes.

For 17" rims for 520d :
OEM : 225/50/17
OEM Outside India in some countries/upper models :245/45/17 (this size is also mentioned in the tyre pressure chart by bmw on the door sill, so rest assured its not hampering ur warranty, and ur mind in case it disturbs you to do anything other than "bmw recommended".

I am using the Pirelli, as i have been using them from past 12 years now, and they have always been fantastic! Michelins, my cousin put in his Laura, and they turned out to be too soft, and frequent tyre damages. In one year, he had to replace 3 of his tyres due to stone hits that damaged the tyre till inside. This is my personal experience.

Also, P Zero Rosso are of "Ultra high performance - Y Rated tyres".

Other tyres that can be put is GoodYear GT3, Yokohoma AdvanST. this info i got from my tyre dealer friend at the time i bought my Pirellis.

@ Spiff: Just go for it mate, u'll love it. Best part is, 2009 model 520d all come with factory equipped Bluetooth and USB slot! Also, i would't recommend the HighLine wheels. I was planning on that too before buying my car, and when i had a look at the 520d's rims, they are pretty good, and muscular, like the Highline. Also, the highline rims are 18", and with roads like in mumbai, or anywhere in India, that would be a big NO NO!
Old 13th April 2009, 20:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
@ Spiff: Just go for it mate, u'll love it. Best part is, 2009 model 520d all come with factory equipped Bluetooth and USB slot! Also, i would't recommend the HighLine wheels. I was planning on that too before buying my car, and when i had a look at the 520d's rims, they are pretty good, and muscular, like the Highline. Also, the highline rims are 18", and with roads like in mumbai, or anywhere in India, that would be a big NO NO!
I think I have made the decision, will be installing the chip for sure along with the M kit with the money saved.

Thanks everybody again! Will post pictures when I get it. Hope Navnit doesnt con me out again.
Old 13th April 2009, 20:46   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
520D seems quite pocket friendly
I must say that's the first time I've heard anyone say anything like that

Looking forward to pics/review of the new car!
Old 13th April 2009, 23:44   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Quickdraw, please mention the Size of the rim too, the sizings you gave are too vague without their rim sizes.

For 17" rims for 520d :
OEM : 225/50/17
OEM Outside India in some countries/upper models :245/45/17 (this size is also mentioned in the tyre pressure chart by bmw on the door sill, so rest assured its not hampering ur warranty, and ur mind in case it disturbs you to do anything other than "bmw recommended".
The dealer himself said thats the standard BMW size. It applies for 17~19"
Old 15th April 2009, 04:01   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
I think I have made the decision, will be installing the chip for sure along with the M kit with the money saved.

Thanks everybody again! Will post pictures when I get it. Hope Navnit doesnt con me out again.
Way to go, mate! congrats! now do let us know the color choice you have gone in for! and dont forget to return the stock RunFlatTyres to the dealer - this u tell him clearly before u book the car.

Let me know if u are interested in the Sprint Booster.
Old 27th April 2009, 03:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car, do post pictures by tomorrow
Old 29th April 2009, 09:43   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stranger View Post
Congrats on the Superb! Please post pics soon
Oops! Wrong Message

Congrats on your new 5! Post pics soon
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:24   #53
BHPian

Thought I would post some pictures

will take more over the weekend. Sad part is somebody already stole my 520D and back BMW badge, fortunately had a spare one I bought from the dealer because I knew someone would
Attached Thumbnails
520D or 530i or 530D-photo1.jpg  

520D or 530i or 530D-photo3.jpg  

520D or 530i or 530D-photo.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2009, 22:30   #54
BHPian

have the same color 530d. it's beautiful man. congrats! Sucks that someone stole your signs. It's better than someone keying your paint though
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

congrats she looks amazing
but howcome a chandigarh reg no?
Old 3rd June 2009, 00:11   #56
BHPian

I have an address in Chandigarh and I will most likely bring it to delhi soon so decided to get the reg done in Chandigarh + it was hell lot less than Mumbai/Thane
Old 31st August 2009, 22:36   #57
BHPian

Update : Crashed the 520D few weeks back in Goa.

Ordered a spanking new 530D Highline this time in same color combination. Delivery in few weeks
Old 31st August 2009, 22:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

was she a complete loss?

congrats for the 530d
Old 31st August 2009, 23:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Well I was toying with the idea of getting a Luxo Badge. TD'ed the 530i and 530D highline. I'm probably in a minority but I liked the 530i way more than the 530D. Somehow the 530D didn't feel very refined when pushed. There was a huge amount of torque in the power band but it runs out all too quickly.

The 530i on the other hand is beautifully linear in power delivery. I tried sports mode and it was super easy to keep the car close to redline. The engine revs like a rabid dog and surprisingly the inline 3 cylinder felt more refined at redline than the 530D at 2500 rpm. The 530D felt a bit front heavy as well compared to the 530i and had a tad bit of understeer with DSC on.

I was impressed on how both the cars moved overall and the superb stability but they felt a bit too big and the steering was not as quick to respond as I'm used to in my existing car. I just couldn't pull off the kind of manouvers I'm used to on a regular basis. The car does feel heavy and big to drive. Yes they were super fast, super responsive and I was doing some obscene speeds even before I realized, I somehow couldn't connect emotionally to the car. Both the cars were a tad boring. Also the door mirrors were really small and rear visibility was poor. Surprisingly the ride was quite pliant and not as bad as people seem to be complaining about. Maybe they softened it up for India. One thing to mention - the gearbox was superb for an automatic. I never felt a lack of response at any speed. Simply brilliant!

The salesperson suggested I try the 325i out before deciding. I'm hoping to do a test drive of that and the A4 3.2 FSI soon. I'm not sure when Audi is going to give me a chance to check the latter out. I have no interest in even td'ing the FWD 1.8 turbo which is available at a moment's notice for td.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 31st August 2009 at 23:07.
Old 31st August 2009, 23:38   #60
Senior - BHPian

^^Typo - Inline 6 cylinder.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks