Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 16:05   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It would help if you outline your budget. On the one hand, we are discussing S2000's and on the other, a Herald convertible. What is the max that you are willing to spend?
I dont want to spend more than 10 Lacs <ducks for cover>
Old 15th April 2009, 17:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

10lacs can get you a good 90's model sports car IMO
Old 16th April 2009, 10:15   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
I dont want to spend more than 10 Lacs <ducks for cover>
No ducking, man. 10 lacs is a pretty reasonable budget. A Toyota MR2 (can take the T top off) or a Mazda Miata would suit your requirement to the "T". Prolly get one for half the money (or less) and then use the balance to bring her up to a certain standard.

I've seen some MR2's and Miata's in our classifieds. Please search. Also check if member Adil khan has his red MR2 for sale.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:44   #19
BHPian

That sounds good. But wont a 5 Lac purchase be "ready to drive?" why all that expense after buying it? Are these expensive cars so poorly maintained?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No ducking, man. 10 lacs is a pretty reasonable budget. A Toyota MR2 (can take the T top off) or a Mazda Miata would suit your requirement to the "T". Prolly get one for half the money (or less) and then use the balance to bring her up to a certain standard.

I've seen some MR2's and Miata's in our classifieds. Please search. Also check if member Adil khan has his red MR2 for sale.
Old 17th April 2009, 00:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

You'll get a good MR2 that you can drive everday without hassles for around 7-8. MX5s should be around 2 lakhs cheaper. You could also look for Civic Type R hatches, 200 hp and 2 doors, with Honda reliability.
Old 17th April 2009, 01:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

What type of door do you need. If you want butterfly doors, there are always some 90s Seras on the market. A Corolla engine should drop right in..if you can find one.
Old 17th April 2009, 01:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

A red Honda CRX VTEC (gen-2) with Delhi Registration was sold at chandigarh,for Rs.175000/-. The engine was original and it had a custom exhaust. Had done more than 90k kms then and the car seemed to be in good condition, however it desperately needed new rims/tyres/battery. News is that it is up for sale again and the classified was in Tribune around a month back. I guess its via a dealer this time. The car had SONY 6-cd changer with a 'desi' amp and pioneer subs and ovals. Don't know of its present condition but I guess if its still not sold, you may get it for a price of around 1lakh plus.
So you may enquire about it if you have some contacts with the used cars dealers.

Regards.
Old 17th April 2009, 01:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
A red Honda CRX VTEC (gen-2) with Delhi Registration was sold at chandigarh,for Rs.175000/-. .
The CRX never had a VTEC. Unless you are refering to the DelSOl (not sure if it was called CRX in certain markets). what year is it? the convertible?
Old 17th April 2009, 01:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The CRX never had a VTEC. Unless you are refering to the DelSOl (not sure if it was called CRX in certain markets). what year is it? the convertible?
No,its a coupe.As for it being a v-tec, have a look at this:

'In September 1989 Honda also added the 1595 cc B16A VTEC engine to the lineup outside of America. The VTEC engine used Variable Valve Timing and Lift to provide increased power in the high rev range, while still allowing low fuel consumption and better idling at low RPMs. The B16A produced 150 bhp (112 kW; 152 PS) in the European 1.6i-VT model (where the engine bore the designation B16A1) and 157 bhp (117 kW; 159 PS) in the JDM SiR model. The CR-X was the second car to receive a VTEC engine, shortly after the Integra, although the CR-X was more popular and common.

The VTEC-equipped models also received a makeover, with updated bumpers, lights, bonnet/hood, brakes, suspension and dashboard design amongst other things. Additionally, some of these design changes were added to the concurrent non-VTEC models.

SOURCE--wikipedia

Sorry, do not remember the model year.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 17th April 2009 at 02:07.
Old 17th April 2009, 07:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

how about a supra.
i know its difficult and rare to find.
Old 17th April 2009, 07:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

The CRX is a great car to buy and tune up. You'll need to import everything, but it is a great base for a screaming street burner.
Old 17th April 2009, 08:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
how about a supra.
i know its difficult and rare to find.
Yes it is very rare to find a supra in a used car market for a good price. However, I do remember a Suzuki Cappuccino for sale at Delhi, its classified was in some recently launched car mag, the car had done just 7500 kms, however asking price was not mentioned, but I guess it must be within Rs.7 lakh considering its just an imported K-car.
The best deals, that I have seen in this category are Mazda Miatas and Toyota Sera, both of which go under Rs.3-4 lakhs and can be maintained with relatively lesser efforts.
Old 17th April 2009, 09:47   #28
BHPian

@aditya,

if you can get hold of a CRX with a B16A engine then go for it. you would get the honda reliability plus an awesome engine.

so just incase you want to bump up power you can do it upto 506 bhp (that's what i've heard so far) .

And moreover its a great car, one of the best hondas ever made.
Old 17th April 2009, 09:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
@aditya,

if you can get hold of a CRX with a B16A engine then go for it. you would get the honda reliability plus an awesome engine.

so just incase you want to bump up power you can do it upto 506 bhp (that's what i've heard so far) .

And moreover its a great car, one of the best hondas ever made.
Its a great and popular car, no doubts. It was made to match the Toyota's legendary AE86, so it had to be something.
However, in Thailand i noticed that the car was basically being used by boy racers who could not afford a better ride. So, they bought CRX at very cheap rate, and souped it up with bits.
In India ofcourse, it still qualifies for being a 'sports car' and no doubt given its light weight and 150bhp v-tec engine its surely FUN in capital letters.
I drove the red CRX i mentioned about a couple of years back, the engine was still quite good, however the Handling was just average, dont know if it had to do more than the condition of the car than the car itself, but driven next to my baleno, the handling did not felt anything special at all.
And it can be easily termed BAD in comparison with the Miata.

Regards.

Most Viewed