Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 18:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Automatic Diesel car for under 14 Lacs?

Hi Guys

We want an automatic diesel car within a budget of Rs 14 lacs. Can be new or used (not too old). Please suggest. thx
Old 21st April 2009, 18:41   #2
BHPian

Verna-CRDI
Not sure How much Sonata-Automatic costs.
Old 21st April 2009, 18:41   #3
BHPian

New cars:
1. Hyundai Verna
2. Skoda Octavia (they had an auto diesel a while ago, not sure if it's still in production)
3. Scorpio AT

Used cars
1. Sonata Embera
2. Skoda Laura
3. Skoda Superb
Old 21st April 2009, 18:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time out to proof-read your post prior to submission. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2009 at 19:59.
narayan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st April 2009, 18:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Taking a TD of the auto verna tom. I have the same tally though Octavia auto is discontinued :(

What prices have you guys seen on Laura's, I spoke to someone who just sold his 08 DSG/Auto with 3500 Km for Rs. 13.5 lacs.

what about C220 CDI's? How are they?

Sonata/Superb slightly big for oru needs. I suppose a 6 month old Jetta could be great as well?

Last edited by canonball : 21st April 2009 at 18:47.
Old 21st April 2009, 21:25   #6
BHPian

Yes, if you can get a jetta within your budget, it would be a good choice but do remember, it's going to cost you a lot more to maintain over the next 3-5 years as compared to a Hyundai.
Old 21st April 2009, 21:55   #7
Team-BHP Support

Only a car, or would an SUV fit the bill as well?
Look at the the auto tranny Scorpio, you get a whole lot of bells and whistles alongwith a superb engine, and SUV suspension that simply glides over the bumps, and you yet have spare change for a couple of Nanos for the city run!

manson.
Old 21st April 2009, 23:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

i always wish the magnum TCDi had a automatic.
anyways, you choices under 14 lakhs are hyundai verna & mahindra scorpio. both are great cars, they belong to different classes/segments. verna has a 4 speed auto i guess & scorpio has a 6 speed one. talking of the auto tranny, i have read that verna has a very lazy gearbox & scorpio though pretty quick, is confused between speeds of 30-40 kmph! about the scorpio, pm our friend mohnish, he has just bought a scorpio AT.
i wont advise you a second hand car for that budget.

best of luck.
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:15   #9
BHPian

issues which I have faced with second hand AT is.. The transmission system can fail if the user has not changed the AT fluid regularly, and the worst part is you cannot find out the wear and tear of the Transmission unless you get it properly Scanned through a computer in order to check the wear and tear.
Go for a brand new.. Cos even if transmission fails it will be replaced in Warranty but in Second hand car you might not get the option as the car would be 2-3 years old and warranty is gone.
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

To make things clearer for you, I suggest the following :-

NEW :
Verna CRDi => Godalmightly power, albeit dented a bit by the A/T. Still, if you want a sedan, and a diesel automatic at that, this is surely your bet bet right now. You really don't want to go with the Skoda right now. The existence of the Octavia today is a joke, it's gone long in the tooth is an understatement.

Scorpio A/T => If it fits your needs / usage. At your budget point you can comfortably afford the fully loaded VLX A/T. Take a TD to see if the "confused transmission" that some members like iraghava talk about, affects your peace of mind or not.

USED : Sonata Embera A/T. Very rare to find but my God will you consider yourself blessed. Peanuts to maintain, acres of legroom and unquestionable comfort.

I have NOT included Laura DSG or Jetta DSG or for that matter C220 CDI A/T. The simple reason is, after you buy these used your financial liability (and there's no better word for it) towards maintenance and accidental damage of these cars would be so high, you're better off just stretching your budget and buying a Sonata Transform CRDi today. Trust me it will surely work out cheaper.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 22nd April 2009 at 10:29.
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:26   #11
Team-BHP Support

Check out a new Sonanta Transform. Its beyond your budget, but I remember seeing a very low EMI scheme for the same, with interest rate of 5.99% or something.
If you are on an EMI, this may be within your budget!
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys things are getting clearer specially with your inputs thx.

Already have an Innova for outstation this car will replace our Mumbai city car the swift (run 16k in 3 years, driven by male/female family members). Test drove the Scorpio A/T a month ago she is really good on engine performance goes, and ride for city is great boardering excellent now the issue is not so much driving her on Mumbai roads (infact better than small cars!!) its parking her in any spot. She will be a pain to slot into spots and we have no driver (we care to much for our car's bodyline in the house!!) so not sure of Scorpio on that count. Verna seems to be the best but just feels not worth the price!!

Taking a verna TD today so lets see if she impresses on performance.

Sonata is tempting but size is an issue!

I called up VW and they claim that the Golf will come before the Polo!! and will be available here in 8 to 10 months in automatic

This car being the 2 nd car would not run more than 6 to 7000 km per year. Do you guys reckon a 6 to 8 month old Laura/Jetta done say max 12k would be really dicy? Seeing a car this weekend. No one here has anything good to say about C class?

Last edited by canonball : 22nd April 2009 at 12:08.
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
This car being the 2 nd car would not run more than 6 to 7000 km per year. Do you guys reckon a 6 to 8 month old Laura/Jetta done say max 12k would be really dicy? Seeing a car this weekend. No one here has anything good to say about C class?
Let me clarify.

Anything from VW / Skoda which is pre-owned has a few things you should consider. Firstly, if you're stuck with a lemon, you're finished. Prepare to spend heaps of dough just fixing things, or even if you sell the car, as a second owner you won't get much for it. Also, I suppose if someone's selling such a car within 8 months then something might be wrong with it.

Now IF the car you buy is NOT a lemon, there's always the problem of Skoda's exemplary service standards. VW apparently is a bit better. But either ways, the costs will be disturbing. That's why I called it a liability in my earlier post. Reliability too, is a big question mark. I know there are a handful of Laura owners on this forum who have never had trouble, but it's not like we're talking 1% problematic cars reported or something. It's a substantial statistic.

As far as a C220 CDI A/T is concerned, the maintenance costs are really high, and it goes without saying that if you're going to buy a Mercedes which is out of it's warranty coverage period, you better know what you're getting yourself into. Here's a link to GTO's C220 CDI ownership thread. See the recent costs that he has incurred when out of the warranty cover. Get in touch with him for more accurate info. Your E-Class should also give you a fair idea of what it's like to live with one. If you're prepared for it then maybe it's worth considering.

So basically, if you pick a pre-owned Laura / Jetta / C220, you'll be spending so much money on it in such short time, that IMO it will definitely be more economical to spend a little extra and go for the Sonata Transform in the long run / short run both.

EDIT: One more thing. 6-7,000kms a year? That's 15-20km a day. Too little to justify insisting on a Diesel. I think you're better off with a Petrol A/T. Now look at how many options THAT just opened up! ANHC A/T intermediate or Civic A/T for a full-sized sedan etc etc. Or even better, a pre-owned 2006-2007 Honda Accord 2.4 A/T is a safer choice than German pre-owned cars. Think hard about whether you still need a diesel.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 22nd April 2009 at 15:26.
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:33   #14
BHPian

6000 Km every year? Why are you restricting yourself to a diesel than? Consider a used CRV/ Accord or a new ANHC/Civic, too.
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
6000 Km every year? Why are you restricting yourself to a diesel than? Consider a used CRV/ Accord or a new ANHC/Civic, too.
same question why diesel?

Better buy Altis AT (the best & most practical AT under 14 lacs)

IN diesel, i too agree to go for new Sonata transform. It exceeds your budget, but available in very low EMIs with lots of freebies. Also probably the cheapest diesel to maintain.

Can think of used Superb also (beware of ***)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks