Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2009, 03:19   #1
ppr
BHPian

Toyota Camry - Difference between V3 and V4

Hi

I wanted to buy a used Toyota Camry. I find quite a few cars available. Most of which are advertised as V3 or V4 (among the 2003, 2004 models) I could not tell when I went to see the car which model it was.
1) What was the difference between the V3 and V4 and how does one differentiate?
2) How much would be the right price to pay (approx) for a 5 yr old car with about 50 k kms on the odo?
3) Is there much risk of tampering with the odo on these cars?
4) Is it worth buying these cars. I am a tall man & prefer big cars.
5) What are the known issues with these cars?

Thanks

ppr
Old 13th June 2009, 12:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

well there are a few differences but the engine is the same.

the v3 had a honeycomb grill whereas the v4 had chrome slats.
the v3s taillights were red colour on the top and bottom and transparent in the centre. the v4s taillights were red only in the centre.
the v3 had black interiors whereas the v4 had beige.

those were the main differences i could think off.

parts will be slightly expensive since they are imported otherwise being a toyota it should run just fine.

i think about 6l should be fine.
Old 15th June 2009, 00:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
3) Is there much risk of tampering with the odo on these cars?
4) Is it worth buying these cars. I am a tall man & prefer big cars.
5) What are the known issues with these cars?
Tampering with a digital odo is possible. If you get a pristine well-maintained one, nothing like it, you'll get a fantastic comfortable car at unbelievable prices. I know someone who's had a V4 for about four years now and is looking to sell. I'll come back here with the ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
parts will be slightly expensive since they are imported otherwise being a toyota it should run just fine.
Both came with a choice of either black or beige leather upholstry. And parts aren't slightly expensive, they're hideously expensive. The Camry's always been a CBU, for reasons best known to Toyota.
Old 15th June 2009, 09:16   #4
ppr
BHPian

Thanks guys

The differences seem to be mainly cosmetic, then?
Something like the three variants of the Jazz.

Did the two models sell at the same time?

I have a Honda Accord at present & although parts are expensive, it does not require parts very often. So the maintenance costs are low. I am hoping that will be the same with the camry.

What sort of mileage do these cars give?

ppr
Old 15th June 2009, 09:42   #5
ppr
BHPian

Flyingspur

Where is your friend advertising his car? Can I get the details if he is selling it?

ppr
Old 15th June 2009, 11:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The differences seem to be mainly cosmetic, then?
Quote:
Did the two models sell at the same time?
I think you're a little confused here. The Camry which was first sold in India was the pre-facelift which had two variants, V1 and V3 as represented in magazine buying guides, with the only difference being the M/T and A/T. I think this generation is what you're referring to as "V3".

In late 2004 or early 2005, there was a facelift but nothing changed mechanically AFAIK. This facelifted model is probably what you're referring to as "V4" ?? In this version too, there were two variants with the only difference being M/T and A/T.

Quote:
I have a Honda Accord at present & although parts are expensive, it does not require parts very often. So the maintenance costs are low. I am hoping that will be the same with the camry.
Accidential repairs will be prohibitively expensive. Routine maintenance need not be I GUESS, since it's a Toyota. Still, I'll find out ownership costs and try to give you some idea.

Quote:
What sort of mileage do these cars give?
Dismal (A/T). Expect around 6 in the urban cycle. The manuals should give slightly better, maybe +1.5 or so.

Quote:
Flyingspur

Where is your friend advertising his car? Can I get the details if he is selling it?
I could ask if he's selling it. Grey exterior, black leather interior, mid '05 A/T. Still interested? PM and I'll find out.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 15th June 2009 at 11:56.
Old 15th June 2009, 13:19   #7
D.Surya

We have a 2004 silver v3(M/T) 85,000 and a 2005 red v4(M/T) 35,000(approx)

the main diffrences between the the v3 and the v4 are
-v4 had rear airconditioning vents, is useful as the v3 takes time to cool.
-V4 has an integrated toyota music system, wheras the v3 comes with a tacky sony system. IMO both systems are rubbish put in a dvd touchscreen and car will be great.
-v4 comes with a biege dash and interiors, gives a slightly refreshed look as opposed to the black leather of the v3 (note v1 came with cloth interiors).
-v4 horizontal slats grill, v3 honeycomb grill
-v4 strange taillights that dont suit the car, v3 has decent tail lights though the bulbs tend to fuse a lot.
-v4

mechanically the cars are the same, great pick up. smooth ride, great car to be driven in, although not the most exciting to drive.

fuel efficency is poor about 8 in the highway 4.5-6 in city

maintainance is not exorbitant nor is it very cheap, since the camry was completly imported the parts are a tad expensive normal service is about 15k. the 80k service for the v3 came to about 42k with the smiles package. the big services are the the 60,80, and 120k.

will try to post pics of the two cars if I can get them together. But what I have mentioned should summarize the main differences.

some may suggest the new camry, but imo the v4 is the best out of the lot. the rear leg room matters. my dad preffers to use the old one over the new one, but the new one, I guess helps when trying to keep up appearances.. but nevertheless the camry is a great understated ride if you are being driven.

Old 15th June 2009, 21:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Surya View Post
-v4 comes with a biege dash and interiors, gives a slightly refreshed look as opposed to the black leather of the v3 (note v1 came with cloth interiors).
My friend's car, a mid '05 V4 A/T came with black leather upholstry and dash as per his request (choice offered to every customer). The wood finish remained the same.
Old 15th June 2009, 22:38   #9
ppr
BHPian

Thanks for all the info!

Actually, I have been trying to find the differences for quite some time now. There is no information on the internet at all. I could not even find any specs for these models. All the used Camry's for sale seem to be V3 or V4 (in the price range I am looking at. But I saw a couple of cars & the owners themselves were not sure what model they were.
I just put one query on team-bhp & immediate responses. Thank you so much everyone for the prompt responses.
Now I hope this ends up with me buying one of these cars!

ppr
Old 15th June 2009, 23:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

maintenance costs are relatively low compared to the Germans. for my latest gen camry i spend on an average around 7-8K for the 10,000 km interval service.
of course with toyota expect bulletproof reliability.
im 6 2' and over a 100 and space is plenty for me in the front and also the rear passengers with my seat pushed all the way back.
Issue's with the car..
the yoko's on car lasted around 40,000 kms. Maybe had juice for another 5 but i dint risk it.
Break's wore out around 30,000 (only front)

Last edited by vinaydas : 15th June 2009 at 23:56.
Old 16th June 2009, 08:18   #11
ppr
BHPian

What is a "yoko"? and how much do the brake pads & these cost?

Can I get any of the cars checked up by someone before buying? Has anyone tried vericar.in?

ppr
Old 2nd July 2009, 00:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is a "yoko"? and how much do the brake pads & these cost?

Can I get any of the cars checked up by someone before buying? Has anyone tried vericar.in?

ppr
Yoko = Yokohama brand of tyres. Highly recommended, a lot of guinea pigs on the forum who are very happy.

And yes, someone on the forum HAS tried vericar while buying a used OHC and has put up a thread with his experiences. Also, Mr. VeriCAR himself is on the forum.
Old 7th December 2011, 09:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Camry - Difference between V3 and V4

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well there are a few differences but the engine is the same.

the v3 had a honeycomb grill whereas the v4 had chrome slats.
the v3s taillights were red colour on the top and bottom and transparent in the centre. the v4s taillights were red only in the centre.

those were the main differences i could think off.

i think about 6l should be fine.
I own a V3 and according to owners manual the instruments lights, we can change colours with 3 options by pressing buttons on a unit named METER. where to locate this unit in the car????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks