Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2009, 11:38   #1
BHPian

Skoda agrees to replace my faulty Fabia, which Skoda to purchase now?

Related thread : Skoda agrees to replace car.

hi,
as some of you may know that i owned a fabia 1.4 mpi purchased one year back. it has been facing numerous issues and after lot f pressure on skoda the company has decided to replace the car.i am allowed to go for any skoda model and i am being allowed a discount of the ex showroom price of the car that is approx.-7 lacs.
so now my choices range from fabia 1.2 to superb 2.0 tdi.

1. fabia 1.2- very small engine and i doubt its capacity to pull such a heavy car. and dont want to go for a fabia petrol again.

2. fabia 1.4 tdi-good car . but very noisy and dont want to agian go for a fabia after driving it for one year.

3. octavia - end of life cycle. very old model

4 laura 1.8 tsi- liked the engine very much. but is only available in ambiente version.costly too

5. laura diesel- again i didnt find it value for money. but is overall a good package. heard of many turbo failures??

6. superb petrol 1.8- this is the car my heart wants. very good package and that also value for money but will have to shell another 12 lacs.is it worth investing another 12 lacs in skoda.

7 skoda diesel 2.0 tdi- very expensive price difference of more than 3 lacs of petrol model.
skoda 3.6 - out of question.

i am very much interested in 1.8 superb but read somewhere the car requires 95 octane minimum fuel.
please post your opinion.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th June 2009 at 16:03. Reason: Link to original thread added.
Old 14th June 2009, 11:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Delay and buy the Skode Yeti when it launches.
Old 14th June 2009, 11:48   #3
BHPian

Well I will be very interested in knowing what strings did you pull to get the obnoxious weeds at Skoda to agree to a replacement? There are a lot of people on the forum who would be very interested in the same recourse for their faulty vehicles.

Coming back to your question, the Superb is a fantastic car. I have had the pleasure of riding in it (didn't drive it though) and it is an amazing deal at the price it is offered. Take the plunge if you have the heart for tolerating Skoda's pathetic A**.
Old 14th June 2009, 12:27   #4
BHPian

How on earth did skoda agreed to "replace" the vehicle? I have never heard such an incident. Please shed some light on what was done by you to get that impossible thing done.

Anyways nkapoor777 is right. Skoda superb is really a very good car. I have had the privilege of owning one from last 4 years and its great. The rear legroom is much wider that E class or 5 series for that matter. Its a value for money.
Old 14th June 2009, 16:47   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

considering your choice is limited to Skoda: here is my take

fabia - same car, doesn't feel like any change. but still less money spent. especially on a brand that you might not like much. buy it and plan a future upgrade few years later to the car of your liking.

others - i bought laura l&k 2 years back. my ownership experience of laura has been good so far but i realized my rear passengers are not as comfortable as the front-two :-) i would pick superb as my new car if I am in the market with that budget (unless i can afford E/5 range cars).

so either fabia or superb for me. but hey don't stretch budget for a car. in my case, i won't buy any car that requires me to take a loan.

good luck and wish you a troublefree ownership.
Old 14th June 2009, 16:53   #6
BHPian

how on earth did you manage the deal?
Don't be spending any more money on a Skoda - take the Fabia diesel top-end model and flog it after the warranty period.
Old 14th June 2009, 17:03   #7
BHPian

i am very much convinced about superb petrol. but my family wants to get a diesel fabia and close the deal. superb has a waiting period of 8-10 weeks!

anothr worry is that the audi website mentions 95 octane for the 1.8 tsi. as the engine is same would the requirement here be same. in that case i am not ready to spend rs70/lt for speed 97.

the dealership tells there would be no problem if driven with normal fuel and they have driven there testdrive vehicle for more than 8000 kms to date and no problem to date. no complINTS have come so far from any owner. my main concern is on the reliability front.

as my fabia 1.4 mpi was not at all trustworthy i have my reservations going for a petrol superb.

please advice if the petrol motor is any good as it has been simultaneously launched on the laura and even an audi a4 has it.
Old 14th June 2009, 17:18   #8
Team-BHP Support

My advice ---> A plain, simple and vanilla Octavia. Its an old model, but very successful.

End of life - yes; old - yes but the most reliable of the lot. Enjoys good resale also.
Old 14th June 2009, 17:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I would recommend Laura tsi,it has superb performance and dynamics,though its not as loaded as l&k but has most of the essential equipment.
Old 14th June 2009, 19:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank123 View Post
anothr worry is that the audi website mentions 95 octane for the 1.8 tsi. as the engine is same would the requirement here be same. in that case i am not ready to spend rs70/lt for speed 97.

Audi's engine can tolerate the low octane fuel but it will be at the cost of performance(negligible drop). It will not affect the reliability as the engine has an inbuilt system to cope up with it.

I have driven the Superb 1.8TSi extensively on normal petrol for so many kilometers and it didn't show any problems what so ever. May be it has a similar system working to prevent knocking.

I would suggest you buy the Laura 1.8TSi which although pricey, is the fastest car you can get under 20 lakhs now. Ya, it is not as well equipped as it should be.
Old 14th June 2009, 22:35   #11
BHPian

Buddy, if Skoda has confirmed that they would refund the value of your Fabia, use your luck and buy a multi million dollar lottery. Definite chances that you would win something substantial, else use your big pot of luck (which you would need)on the Superb tsi, the tsi being a reliable performer on other global markets.
Old 14th June 2009, 23:54   #12
BHPian

As you have already managed to get a replacement from Skoda i need not elaborate what problems you face ,if you buy a skoda , if in one line i can reply that would be ( The Bigger the Skoda Car You own the bigger might be your Problems )
For all the skoda owners who dont agree with me kindly ignore what i wrote , i just think you re lucky as of now ( may be i am wrong but i have the right to have my opinion )

So if you want to buy a skoda just go for the Fabia and dont spend 12 more lacks just to pay ransom for repairs , remember ifs its a Audi engine be ready to spend at least the same what a Audi guy will spend fixing his stuff
Old 15th June 2009, 00:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

I would buy the Laura TSI. Even though it's in ambiente trim it's a fantastic car. There is an advantage of Ambiente trim. Since there are lesser features, there are less things that can go wrong. There's no electric seats, no climate control so you wont have any malfunctions. Even the lamps are non xenons manually adjustable so less expensive to replace than the top end fully auto lamps.

The Laura diesel in elegance trim is also worth a look.

One of my dad's friends had bought a Laura L&K when it was launched. He sold it off due to so many problems he faced. But this guy loves Skoda so bought an Ambiente diesel. Never had any problems in it.
Old 15th June 2009, 00:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
My advice ---> A plain, simple and vanilla Octavia. Its an old model, but very successful.

End of life - yes; old - yes but the most reliable of the lot. Enjoys good resale also.

i totally agree with this point and would suggest the same. the octavia rider and l&k both are good options.

if i ever plonk down my money for a skoda, it would be the octavia diesel L&k only.
Old 15th June 2009, 09:03   #15
BHPian

I feel your family is right. Just take a diesel fabia in exchange instead of putting any more money on the car. If you feel like it, just buy an another car if you have spare cash.

Check the replacement car thoroughly to make sure, you do not get a test drive mule. Do a check before the registration.
Anyhow, good initiative by skoda by replacing your faulty petrol fabia.

Most Viewed