Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:16   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The difference is v-a-s-t in the C / 3 and the S / 7. But it's narrower in the E / 5, yet noticeable.
Exactly my point, there must be a difference but its not that vast for the 5. The little bit of ride stiffness is compensated by waayy sharper handling, mind you the handling difference between 5 & E is v-a-s-t too.
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Exactly my point, there must be a difference but its not that vast for the 5. The little bit of ride stiffness is compensated by waayy sharper handling, mind you the handling difference between 5 & E is v-a-s-t too.
Sahil, I totally agree the handling is far superior with the 5!
No offense to anyone, but, I have been driving my 280cdi reaaally Hard, and she is responding very very well. Maybe we shall meet sometime and you drive around my 280 on an early Sunday morning. Maybe my car is a freak case!!
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

I'd opine, you should wait for the new E Class to trickle in. Lived with it for sometime in UK, it is bloody good. In my opinion the best car in the world if you discount the looks. (I included the mighty 7 & S when I put the new E as the best)
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:51   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Sahil, I totally agree the handling is far superior with the 5!
No offense to anyone, but, I have been driving my 280cdi reaaally Hard, and she is responding very very well. Maybe we shall meet sometime and you drive around my 280 on an early Sunday morning. Maybe my car is a freak case!!
I am sure your car is not a freak case,the E280 began my love and belief in german diesels. My friend picked one up a year before i got my 525d, I fell in love with the E280 in no time and was convinced on getting it. My horror experience with MB electronics on two of my C-classes were the prime reason for me waiting for the 5 to launch instead.
I give it to BMW for their power, the 520d strints at par with the 6cyl E280, at much less a price tag. At the sametime, the merc diesels are a tad more refined than the BMW, thanks to MB being present for a long time here to adapt the low fuel quality.
And Scooby, you can't settle for a 520d, you need the 530d !

Last edited by Sahil : 2nd July 2009 at 16:54.
Old 2nd July 2009, 18:49   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Exactly my point, there must be a difference but its not that vast for the 5.
It is very noticeable. Not as extreme as the between the C & 3, or the S & 7, but it's there and does make a difference. I'm not talking about the difference on super clean concrete city roads, but on a bombay nasik highway where over broken patches, you'd much rather be on the back seat of an E Class. Somehow, India has more than its share of broken roads. BMW India recognises this and is making its cars "softer". The 3 has already been cushioned, wait for updates to the 5.

Quote:
The little bit of ride stiffness is compensated by waayy sharper handling, mind you the handling difference between 5 & E is v-a-s-t too.
Compensated to whom? Of course, to an enthusiast, the 5 is the natural choice. There isn't a doubt on that. I myself would pick a 530D if in the market today. However, in the same breath I'd add, that to the rear bench chauffeur driven type, the E is as natural a choice. My Dad would choose the E-Class. And mind you, it's not like the E has lousy dynamics. The steering feel, communication and overall feedback are way better in the 5, yet you'd have to be a pretty darn good track racer to exploit the absolute difference between the two cars in outright grip levels. Few of us have driving skills of that level. And if you do have to exploit that differential at 90% of the grip levels, you'd need to be in a controlled environment (read = race track). Again, note that I'm speaking in terms of exploiting that difference, not feel or feedback.

Look, it's very simple. The E Class has been tuned for comfort & refinement, while the 5 is handling oriented. So basically, it's between the self-driver and the chauffeur-driven. Doesn't get simpler than that.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2009 at 18:50.
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:11   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

You're right on most part GTO but i'd put the 5 to be a pretty good chauffered car too, it might not be as cushioned as the E but it does even compensate by more interior space.
My dads no enthusiast, although he enjoys cars and has some fun with them once in a while but he too is at peace in the rear seat of the 5. His claim is the E feels too cramped in comparision although it's suspensions softer but he'd pick more space than slightly softer suspension. Which is why we picked the 520d as the chauffer driven option over the E.
Old 2nd July 2009, 21:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You're right on most part GTO but i'd put the 5 to be a pretty good chauffered car too, it might not be as cushioned as the E but it does even compensate by more interior space.
My dads no enthusiast, although he enjoys cars and has some fun with them once in a while but he too is at peace in the rear seat of the 5. His claim is the E feels too cramped in comparision although it's suspensions softer but he'd pick more space than slightly softer suspension. Which is why we picked the 520d as the chauffer driven option over the E.

@sahil

I do not think anyone can win over you when the discussion is over the BMW's & the MB's ...I absolutley love your spirited defense. I am saying this in a lighter vein, so dont flame me

The BMW is any day a better car to "tame"

Cheers
Old 2nd July 2009, 22:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

How much is the rear room difference between the A4, E and 5.
Old 3rd July 2009, 03:03   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@sahil

I do not think anyone can win over you when the discussion is over the BMW's & the MB's ...I absolutley love your spirited defense. I am saying this in a lighter vein, so dont flame me

The BMW is any day a better car to "tame"

Cheers
To be honest I'm coming out in the wrong way. I love my car but I am not an MB hater, although I was a few years back due to my bad experience but I am beginning to build faith in it. I still probably would pick the facelifted S over the 7 and probably the C over the 3, so if anything I am more of an MB man
The 5 is pitched as a drivers car and yes it is but at the sametime I find it to
be a great chauffeur driven car as it's roomier than the E albeit a stiffer suspension.
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
How much is the rear room difference between the A4, E and 5.
The A4 is one segment lower. The old A4 had near to no rear legroom. The new one is better, but it is no 5/E. The A6 on the other hand, is comparable.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:28   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Yup, no doubt on that. The first time I sat in the current (outgoing) E-Class, I was surprised at the relative lack of interior space. It felt only slightly more than my C220! In our feedback reviews, many W210 owners actually felt terrible about upgrading....the older E had way more space at the back.

Let's see what the new E Class has in store for us. Expect a very detailed test report.
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:34   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The A6 on the other hand, is comparable.
A6 has decent legroom but the head-room was just shocking! And I ain't even all that tall !

Quote:
Expect a very detailed test report.
Can we expect another pre-launch TD report from you?
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:53   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
! In our feedback reviews, many W210 owners actually felt terrible about upgrading....the older E had way more space at the back.
It actually took a lot of sales from the w140 s class which people thought was too big

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks