Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 10:16   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Best pre-owned car for $40,000 EDIT : Infiniti G37 it is!

So, my sister just got a big promotion at one of the top 4 accounting firms. Considering the corporate situation in the States, she's naturally elated!

She was keen on buying a brand new car, though I & my Jiju convinced her to consider pre-owned. Heck, there are absolute steals to be had on "pre-worshipped" cars in the current market.

Any killer deals / recommendations in the States? Broad requirements:

1. It's only sis + hubby. So rear bench space is not an issue.

2. They are based in CA.

3. Primary purpose will be a daily drive to work (50 miles round trip).

4. Already have an SUV.

5. Reliability & durability are top priority (same genes, remember?!).

Must have the "feel good" factor; this car is not a need as much as it is a want. She's worked incredibly hard and thus, the cars going to be more of a celebration. Some brands that I've heard her talking about "BMW, Lexus, Infinity". She is NOT a Mercedes person, though is willing to consider an Audi (only just).

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2009 at 10:18.
Old 18th August 2009, 10:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's only sis + hubby / They are based in CA / Primary purpose will be a daily drive to work / Must have the "feel good" factor / The cars going to be more of a celebration.
How about the Z4 or the 635Ci / 645Ci ? I don't know prices. For $40k you could probably get a new Z4 ?

Two seater, fun to drive, BMW reliability isn't something I can comment on, the daily drive to work will be a pleasure with the top down in sunny CA, and it'll provide enough of a feel-good factor. What's your take on it, Rush?

Maybe I've underestimated the potential of $40k in the pre-owned market. I found this, for example BMW Z4M Roadster

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 18th August 2009 at 10:32.
Old 18th August 2009, 11:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
So, my sister just got a big promotion at one of the top 4 accounting firms. Considering the corporate situation in the States, she's naturally elated!

She was keen on buying a brand new car, though I & my Jiju convinced her to consider pre-owned. Heck, there are absolute steals to be had on "pre-worshipped" cars in the current market.

Any killer deals / recommendations in the States? Broad requirements:

1. It's only sis + hubby. So rear bench space is not an issue.

2. They are based in CA.

3. Primary purpose will be a daily drive to work (50 miles round trip).

4. Already have an SUV.

5. Reliability & durability are top priority (same genes, remember?!).

Must have the "feel good" factor; this car is not a need as much as it is a want. She's worked incredibly hard and thus, the cars going to be more of a celebration. Some brands that I've heard her talking about "BMW, Lexus, Infinity". She is NOT a Mercedes person, though is willing to consider an Audi (only just).
My $0.02 would be Lexus or Infinity purely bcos luxury would be paramount in these compared to cars like BMW which I feel are still more of a driver's car i.e. comfort might be a little compromised.
If your BIL is planning on driving this car, then I would suggest only BMW. They might be a pain to maintain at times but the thrill of driving one is unparallel in that price range
Old 18th August 2009, 11:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

My suggestion:

As this car is more of a celebration - nothing works better than a cabriolet to let your hair loose after a hard day of work. Also they are based in CA - good weather!

For the given price bracket, you can get a beautiful sparingly used porsche boxter! It ticks all the boxes and goes well with the image part.

Check this one out:

Best pre-owned car for ,000 EDIT : Infiniti G37 it is!-img_8940.jpg

Best pre-owned car for ,000 EDIT : Infiniti G37 it is!-img_8916.jpg

Best pre-owned car for ,000 EDIT : Infiniti G37 it is!-img_8927.jpg

Best pre-owned car for ,000 EDIT : Infiniti G37 it is!-img_8992.jpg

Source: Porsche : Boxster:eBay Motors (item 160356250346 end time Aug-23-09 11:07:43 PDT)

Cheers

Last edited by anekho : 18th August 2009 at 11:52.
Old 18th August 2009, 12:04   #5
PVS
BHPian

Nissan 350 Z Roadster, Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger, Hyundai Genesis Coupe - she might want to consider some of these
Old 18th August 2009, 12:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Firstly my congratulations to your Sister for her Promotion GTO.

The cars she could short list for sunny CA. (Price not known to me so just off the memory)
1) Bmw 3,6 series/z4 (M convertibles would be iceing)
2) Infinity G series (convertibles)
3) Cadillac Xlr roadster.
4) Porsche 911/boxster (convertibles)
5) Lexus ISC (brand new 38,500$), Sc
6) Vw Beetle convertible (Dont think your BIL will like this)
7) mini cooper s convertible.
8) Mercedes SL500/600,Slk 55 amg.

Hope this helps.
Old 18th August 2009, 13:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Tha choice would be between the Lexus, BMW, Porsche. Also in order of Reliability. For CA a Convertible preferbaly with a hardtop makes a lot of fun.
Old 18th August 2009, 14:48   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats to the sis on the promotion.

I'd suggest a 3 series convertible especially since she lives in CA. I am not a fan of the sedan but the coupe/convertible 3 series looks sweeeeeet. Since "feel good" factor is high priority she could get a new 325Ci in her budget and best part is that the BSI package is standard in USA so her second priority of reliability is solved too !

325Ci has enough grunt for the lady but if she has got the same gene's as you, i'd say stretch for the 335Ci or get it pre-owned.
Old 18th August 2009, 15:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to Porsche Boxter $46k approx. She should buy new.

She will be admired by crowd in the parking lot and show her boss that she's up and ready for the challenge + has a drive for perfection and understands brand.

CA weather is great and she will enjoy the ride. Trust me on this one.

If she really really doesn't like it for some reason, then the new Audi TT or BMW Z4 will also do the trick. These have excellent resale after Porsche, if she would like to dispose off for even a bigger ride.

Do let us know the decision. I am sure if she buys Boxter, she will write more about cars than GTO you yourself
Old 18th August 2009, 15:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread, My brother would be in market for buying his next car in few months, He is in Atlanta & currently drives an Accord V6.

He too has similar budget but I dont think he would go in for 2 seater sports cars. I think he would be looking for a powerful & stylish sedan with of course resale value in mind .

Would pass on this link to him.
Old 18th August 2009, 17:16   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys, she's reading this thread with keen intent. Isn't it amazing the kind of cars you buy in the states for $40K? In India, 20 lakhs would get you an Accord, Superb or Sonata. Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
How about the Z4 or the 635Ci / 645Ci ? I don't know prices. For $40k you could probably get a new Z4 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
1) Bmw 3,6 series/z4 (M convertibles would be iceing)
Quote:
then the new Audi TT or BMW Z4 will also do the trick
Z4 should be doable in the budget (not the M). Definitely shortlist worthy (she may like it, though I hate the way it looks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
My $0.02 would be Lexus or Infinity purely bcos luxury would be paramount in these compared to cars like BMW
Any particular models within the Lexus & Infinity family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
Nissan 350 Z Roadster, Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger, Hyundai Genesis Coupe - she might want to consider some of these
Won't go American or Korean.

Quote:
As this car is more of a celebration - nothing works better than a cabriolet to let your hair loose after a hard day of work. Also they are based in CA - good weather!
Quote:
4) Porsche 911/boxster (convertibles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Tha choice would be between the Lexus, BMW, Porsche. Also in order of Reliability. For CA a Convertible preferbaly with a hardtop makes a lot of fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
My vote goes to Porsche Boxter $46k approx. She should buy new.
The Porsche wasn't even a contender until you guys bought it up. Excellent suggestion and a strong contender. Good to drive, nice interiors and has the badge. Thanks!

Quote:
8) Mercedes SL500/600,Slk 55 amg.

Hope this helps.
C'mon Speedy, SLK55 AMG for 40 grand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I'd suggest a 3 series convertible especially since she lives in CA. I am not a fan of the sedan but the coupe/convertible 3 series looks sweeeeeet. Since "feel good" factor is high priority she could get a new 325Ci in her budget and best part is that the BSI package is standard in USA so her second priority of reliability is solved too !
Truly. In fact, her first question to me was on the 3 series. Only restriction : They don't change cars too early (its the genes again), and the E90 is due for replacement in 2011?

So far, I guess its between the 3, Z4 and Boxster (if nothing interesting from Lexus pops up).

Last edited by GTO : 18th August 2009 at 17:21.
Old 18th August 2009, 17:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Lexus are launching the IS Convertable as a 2010 model which mean's the launch should be just a few months away. Also, the IS sedan starts at about 32K so the ISC should be in the 40K range. I know it will be new and not pre-owned but since it's a Lexus, it's worth a shot.

Best pre-owned car for ,000 EDIT : Infiniti G37 it is!-lexus_is_250_c_images_004.jpg

Another option is the VW Eos. It may not give the 'feel good' factor of the sport luxury Lexus's and BMW's but it offers a folding metal roof with integrated sun roof. Since it's a VW, I'd be wary of the complicated folding roof mechanism.

Best pre-owned car for ,000 EDIT : Infiniti G37 it is!-2006volkswageneossaspeed1024x768.jpg

Last edited by amit : 18th August 2009 at 17:54.
Old 18th August 2009, 19:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Z4 should be doable in the budget (not the M).
The link I attached was for a pre-owned M with not many miles on it....

Quote:
Definitely shortlist worthy (she may like it, though I hate the way it looks).
Totally expected that
Old 18th August 2009, 20:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi i have a suggetion

Since your sis is in USA, why dont her husband get her a "overhauled" car from "what's his name" Chip FOOSE ?

this would be a unique and best car at an economical cost. i think it is possible in 40K$ budget
Old 18th August 2009, 20:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Any particular models within the Lexus & Infinity family?
Infinity G37 Coupe. Its a looker and sounds heavenly.

Its bang in the price range too

Cars.com linky
Attached Thumbnails
Best pre-owned car for ,000 EDIT : Infiniti G37 it is!-5970150.jpg  

Most Viewed