Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 17:34   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
actually if I had that kind of money to spend on a car or two then I would also buy a serious SUV - maybe a brand new Pajero or other proper 4x4 Diesel SUV for daily use as well as for fun and for weekend enjoyment.

then I would also like a nice anonymous looking Dark Green MM540/550DP work-horse and this, I would spend some money on, to make it a real off-road working monster - i would of course get it completely up to scratch mechanically and then pop off to that nice 4x4 off road shop near Museum Road in Bangalore, buy all sorts of 4x4 toys and camping equipment and enjoy.

The rest of the cash I would invest and stop working and live a quiet life somewhere not too far from the hills, with my wife, my dogs, my books and I would play golf three of four days a week! probably buy a new set of golf clubs as well.

And I would take one proper 30-40 day holiday every year to some place I ve not been to before.

No harm dreaming I guess on a blighted Monday Morning!
Yep no harm dreaming. Loved the post
Old 26th August 2009, 17:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Nice Decision.
Congratulations to him
Old 26th August 2009, 18:28   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Great decision on the 530d. Do let us know of the deal he gets on it.
Has he opted for the Highline or regular ? IMO the highline is a waste, it does have fascinating features such as night vision but at the end of the day you barely use such features. Besides the 18incher ruin the ride even further although they look amazing.

Do recommend him to make the dealer replace his runflats for regular tubeless. I got this FOC exchange on my last 520d. And also get the BSI package.
Old 26th August 2009, 19:04   #79
BHPian

I think he opted for 530D, no Highline, coz he did'nt tell me. Thanx for the tyre-change advice. Just curious, whats the difference in both? and What is FOC ?
Old 26th August 2009, 19:10   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE Godfather View Post
I think he opted for 530D, no Highline, coz he did'nt tell me. Thanx for the tyre-change advice. Just curious, whats the difference in both? and What is FOC ?
FOC = Free of Cost

The difference is HUGE trust me on this because I drove for 30,000kms on run-flats and I think I have a broken back The tubeless is faaaar more comfortable. Which is why I did the switch over at the time of delivery itself when we bought the second 5 series.
Old 26th August 2009, 19:33   #81
BHPian

Totally OT but 2lacs per months translates to someone making $50,000pa in US. On that salary one would drive a better Jap(accord, camry etc) and no where near a 5 series. Evan a 3 series would be a stretch. I am guessing incomes in India are more disposable considering most people wont have a mortgage or rent to pay. I cant think of any other way someone could afford it on his own.
Old 26th August 2009, 19:33   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
FOC = Free of Cost

The difference is HUGE trust me on this because I drove for 30,000kms on run-flats and I think I have a broken back The tubeless is faaaar more comfortable. Which is why I did the switch over at the time of delivery itself when we bought the second 5 series.
Sahil i had read somewhere on this forum itself that if you change the tyres to tubeless Bmw voids the warranty. Is it true as you have done it and i presume you had no trouble?
Old 26th August 2009, 21:04   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Sahil i had read somewhere on this forum itself that if you change the tyres to tubeless Bmw voids the warranty. Is it true as you have done it and i presume you had no trouble?
Thats BS. The dealership itself did the exchange.
Old 26th August 2009, 21:42   #84
BHPian

Thank you Sahil. In case we get into some trouble, I will surely contact you.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:34   #85
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Totally OT but 2lacs per months translates to someone making $50,000pa in US. On that salary one would drive a better Jap(accord, camry etc) and no where near a 5 series. Evan a 3 series would be a stretch. I am guessing incomes in India are more disposable considering most people wont have a mortgage or rent to pay. I cant think of any other way someone could afford it on his own.
Second that. A New BMW for a guy with 80K pa salary in USA would be very very hard. In India once the house is take care of people can stretch themselves.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:48   #86
Senior - BHPian

I assume you are referring to housing being taken care of by joint family/parents if so isn't it a lopsided outlook which seems to be the case with many things in this neck of the woods! A priority I see with most people earning 20 lacs is to buy that house of their own infact all the 29 to 41 year old 20 lac braket people I know either already have a mortage or have a house next on their list so this trend you are quoting is news to me!! But then you always have exceptions everywhere.

I would imagine a guy making 20 lacs a month would buy a 530d but I may be wrong some 5/BMW/Merc/Audi etc series owner could shed light on this

Last edited by canonball : 27th August 2009 at 10:53.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:04   #87
Senior - BHPian

As others said title is misleading the Chap has disposable income / maximum maintenance budget of 2 L Per month and not total earnings of 2 L PA.

I think at age of 24 that is really good and congratulations to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I would imagine a guy making 20 lacs a month would buy a 530d but I may be wrong some 5/BMW/Merc/Audi etc series owner could shed light on this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Second that. A New BMW for a guy with 80K pa salary in USA would be very very hard. In India once the house is take care of people can stretch themselves.
No doubt cost of living is lower here as compared to USA but still even in India with 2 Lakhs P.M earnings ( net in hand after tax) and house taken care off , BMW 530 D is not exactly affordable at total earning s of 24 Lakhs P.A .Y
es in case person has no other expenses and saving needs and 2 lakh is disposable income then sure it is possible.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:08   #88
BHPian

Thats what he said Amit, his total earning is 2.5 lacs per month. 50k are his expenditure and the reamining 200k goes in bank. .
Old 27th August 2009, 14:40   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

No doubt cost of living is lower here as compared to USA but still even in India with 2 Lakhs P.M earnings ( net in hand after tax) and house taken care off , BMW 530 D is not exactly affordable at total earning s of 24 Lakhs P.A .
Very True.

COMPLETELY ->

Many go for 2nd' /3 'rd house but it will be interesting to see the trend after new income tax code comes in 2011
Old 27th August 2009, 14:42   #90
Senior - BHPian

@ amitk; maybe the job's for fun
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks