Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2009, 17:10   #1
BHPian

Help me find a Car for me

Hi guys

This is my first post here.

Now i left India when i was around 14 and coming back next year. I have been in Australia for over 10yrs.

So i am coming back to India and find myself in need of a Car. I have driven my fair share of cars in Australia(Toyota Supra, Camry, Mr2 Spyder, Mazda Mx5, Skyline GTR R33, 300zx) so my requirements are quite unusual.

RWD (Rear Wheel Drive)
Has to be a sedan/hatchback, No SUVs.
Preferably Turbo Diesel or Supercharged but could do with either petrol or Diesel.
Preferably lightweight but not fussed.

No particular choice of colour or make or style.

Please suggest me a car based on the above requirements.

Any help is appriciated.

Thanks
Old 14th October 2009, 19:53   #2
BHPian

Welcome back to india

The first hatchback rear-wheel drive and rear-engined car available in India that came to mind was the Nano!

You did'nt mention a budget, so the recently launched Z4 could be a stonking option.

Otherwise any of the BMW's and Merc's available in India. Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't all of them RWD? Though I think they will not fit your "lightweight" requirement

Last edited by gomzi : 14th October 2009 at 19:59.
Old 14th October 2009, 20:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

A Budget Idea would be helpful for people to suggest

Also state the city you are going to own it in ( Jalandhar ? )
Old 14th October 2009, 20:10   #4
BHPian

Hey Inspector,

Welcome home !!! Suggesting a car is quite easy if you come out with your Budget available.

So please do so.
Old 15th October 2009, 05:07   #5
BHPian

My bad, I thought I put the budget in the original post br clearly i am mistaken. My buget is upto 10lakh. It's not going to be used for more than 2yrs. It will be sold off around 2yr mark.

I will be earnin around 2lakh per month in India. So i can afford a z4 or similar but would not preferred because of me not living there long enough.

Alternatively I will be happy if I can get a v8 with a contessa. Would need it to be 250hp+ since contessa isn't exacly a ligh car.

Also I am a professional photographer as my hobby and will be bringing aud$265k worth gear with me.

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2009 at 23:03. Reason: We don't permit solicitation of businesses here. Please keep the model talk off the forum
Old 15th October 2009, 10:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

You wont get a new rwd sedan under 10lakhs. well actually you could get an ambassdor . Even used cars will be a little hard to find i guess your only option would be a w124 merc. A v8 contessa as a daily drive is easier said than done.
Old 15th October 2009, 12:16   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd suggest you get an automatic since you are used to driving abroad, the traffic in India would drive you nuts changing gears.
The City automatic is a good option and also we hear the soon to be launch facelift Sx4 will be offered as an automatic.
Old 15th October 2009, 13:58   #8
BHPian

Cooldude @
I don't really want a new one. How much do you suggest to spend then ???

I am fine driving a v8, fuel doesn't affect me that much.

Manual is also not an issue as I hav been mostly driving manuals here. Also traffic isn't that good here either. Ony difference is people tend to follow rules here while its not the case in India.
Old 15th October 2009, 23:06   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by it_inspector View Post
RWD (Rear Wheel Drive)
Has to be a sedan/hatchback, No SUVs.
Preferably Turbo Diesel or Supercharged but could do with either petrol or Diesel.
Preferably lightweight but not fussed.
For less than 10 lakhs, you'd have to go used. A Merc W124 (easy find) or imports like an MR2 / Supra (doable).

But you are obviously looking for a car thats fun to drive? Your best bet is with a Skoda RS. You'd easily get one for 5 - 6 lakhs. 150 BHP, awesome handling and VERY tunable. Get a remap + sports suspension kit + oddities (intake, rubber etc.) for another 1.5 lakhs. Its a heck of a drivers car. Test before you decide! Sure, they require some attention as the kms log on, yet they will be easier to fix than on other used options.
Old 16th October 2009, 02:52   #10
BHPian

Well I'd thats the case then how would I go importing a car to India. Namely my current one. It's a r34, I have had it for around 5yrs now.

How much customs charge should I expect and how do I go about proving it's market value and roadworthyness, since ididnt needed roadworthiness certificate here, just continuous registration every year with normal service every 5k.

Thanks
Old 16th October 2009, 11:40   #11
Senior - BHPian

Don't expect importing a car form there. Its really a bad idea.Better look for imported vehicle here itself.
As said used Cedia/Skoda RS/Civic will satisfy your need as you have the budget in mind.

RS: Difficult to find a used one & hard to maintain.But its the best performance machine one can drive in India.

Cedia:Is truly a rally breed.Easy to modify.Difficult to find A.S.S.

Civic:Its a drivers car with good A.S.S network & easy to maintain. But watch the ground clearance.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 16th October 2009 at 11:42.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I dont think Civic and Cedia are as fun to drive as a RS, not only power but dynamics arent as good as RS. Add a remap and you are done unlike just FFE or CAI with nominal increases for Cedia or Civic.
Old 16th October 2009, 12:49   #13
BHPian

Is that ford focus rs, if yes then what about focus xr5 turbo, is it available in India ????
Old 16th October 2009, 13:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that ford focus rs, if yes then what about focus xr5 turbo, is it available in India ????
Its Skoda Octavia RS!!! (are they available in Australia??)
Old 16th October 2009, 14:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been in Australia for over 10yrs.
Quote:
Well I'd thats the case then how would I go importing a car to India. Namely my current one. It's a r34, I have had it for around 5yrs now.
That should not be too difficult given that your cars would already be RHD (Right hand drive).

Go to justdial.com and search for "TDR Consultants" for Mumbai city.

To simplify, a 5 year old car, that was bought for 30k AUD, would attract 5 lakh INR as duty.

(For 5 year old car,depreciation is around 60%, and 170% duty on on depriciated value).

JEWELLERY

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 16th October 2009 at 14:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks