Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 20:45   #1

BMW 3-series and 5-series - next generation?

Hi,

I am planning to buy either a new 320d or 520d as I'm getting a good discount on both of them. But i'm a little circumspect in buying either of these since the next generation 5-series model is going to be launched in end 2010 and the next generation 3-series is likely to be launched in early 2012 in international markets. I want to know the launch dates of these cars in India before deciding whether to go in for either of these cars. Does anybody have any clue about the launch date of these beemers in India?

Infinity

P.S. - I have read various threads regarding BMW 3-series/5-series but i thought this topic required a separate thread.
Old 29th October 2009, 21:38   #2
BHPian

Hi,

I would suggest the 520d. The next gen 5 series would probably hit Indian shores only in 2011.

The good thing with German cars is that they age very gracefully; the current gen 5 series will still stand out, when the next gen car comes out.

Please also shed the kind of discounts you are getting on the 3 and 5 series currently.

Last edited by ecclipse78 : 29th October 2009 at 21:40.
Old 29th October 2009, 22:06   #3

@ecclipse78 Thanks for the prompt reply. I'm getting a discount of 2.4 lacs on 320d and 3.5 lacs on the 520d. FYI, the dealer is based in Delhi NCR; I wouldn't name the dealer since I'm in midst of negotiatons with him.
Old 30th October 2009, 13:49   #4
BHPian

Infinity,

Wikipedia informs us that the next 3 Series in 2012, so we should expect it in India either in 2012 or in 2013.
Similarly the 5 series is expected in showrooms in 2010, so one should expect it to be here latest by 2011.

Clearly, both these lines will be a step up ( in terms of fuel efficiency for example), however as rightly said above, most German cars age very gracefully.

So if you are unwilling to wait till 2010 ( 2010 end I think), you can check out the existing models...please go to the official BMW website ( both for India and the global one) for more detailed info. on future models.

Regards
Old 30th October 2009, 13:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the 520d its worth the price difference. Push for more discounts, i got as much as you did over 6 months back. Now with the E even having arrived BMW would feel the heat and increase discounts. Although 10% off ex-showroom is still a good deal
If all fails then push for extra like BSI package free, space saver spacer, alloys,etc.
Make sure you have them switch your run flat tyres with regular tubeless of a reputed brand like Michelin. They did this free for me last time, as is runflats costs alot more than regular tubeless.

The F10 5 series will probably be here no earlier than mid 2011 IMO.
Old 30th October 2009, 18:27   #6

@Sahil - Thanks for your inputs; you are one of the best people on this forums as far as guidance on 5-series is concerned. I 'll try and push for more discount but my guess is that the dealer wouldn't give a penny more than the 3.5 lacs he's already offering. But I'll surely try and push for other things like like BSI package free, space saver spacer, etc. Also, i have already discussed about changing tyres to tubeless but am wondering as to where to put my spare wheel?

@issigonis - i have checked BMW German and U.S. websites but there is no info on the launch date of new 5-series. i have checked various blogs which mention the date of launch i mentioned in my first post. FYI, I can wait till early 2010 but not beyond that. I am getting inclined to buy the 520d since i wont be able to afford the new generation 5-series (since they usually command a 10-15% premium to the current one).
Old 30th October 2009, 18:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

InfinityG37,

You should wait for the F10, trust me it will change dynamics of the Mid Size luxury sedan and not just in terms of design but also engines and interior etc. It will make the E60 look really dated, while the E60 is a gorgeous car sadly it has less than 30 days left in it's lifecycle as most internet sites say the F10 BMW press release is on 23rd November 2009.

And I can assure you this much next year before October you will have the F10 on our roads.

Don't get me wrong I think the E60 is gorgeous and really nice but BMW is currently on a roll and their new products are beyond words and once the new product is out I personally dont like the older model. And not when it comes out a month or so when you buy a car.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

I agree with s350L-e240 though the current 5 is a beautiful car wait for the new one. If you think it is to expensive wait till the new one launches and then get the older 5 you might even get a 530d at the cost of a discounted 520d.
Old 30th October 2009, 22:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
InfinityG37,

You should wait for the F10, trust me it will change dynamics of the Mid Size luxury sedan and not just in terms of design but also engines and interior etc. It will make the E60 look really dated, while the E60 is a gorgeous car sadly it has less than 30 days left in it's lifecycle as most internet sites say the F10 BMW press release is on 23rd November 2009.

And I can assure you this much next year before October you will have the F10 on our roads.

Don't get me wrong I think the E60 is gorgeous and really nice but BMW is currently on a roll and their new products are beyond words and once the new product is out I personally dont like the older model. And not when it comes out a month or so when you buy a car.
+1 to that.

The F10 gets styling cues from the new 7 series and looks like a mini 7 series from the front. It surely has the ability to make the E60 look a bit outdated.
Old 31st October 2009, 11:17   #10
BHPian

Infinity,

You have a difficult choice and our opinions might add to your woe!

Some points :

1. BMW dealers and BMW India will likely tell you that the new 5 (F10) and the new 3 are a long way off, because a sale now is better than a would be sale in future.

2. There is no clear quote on the likely launch date of the new 5 on the web, except that the current 5 production will stop in December 2009 ( BMW 5 Series E60 - Stop Production in December | BMWCoop). This is however subject to confirmation.

3. I think that your dealer is offering a discount on the 5 because of the launch of the new E and the new E models which will be launched soon in India. Not because of the new 5.

4. If the new 5 is launched in Europe in December 2009, I would expect a lag of atleast six to nine months before it is launched in India. The engines for the new 5 for India will be tuned to accept Indian fuel and run in Indian conditions.

The new 5 should be more expensive than the current 5. Rumour has it that it will have KERS and a host of 'green' features.

That's it then. Earliest date for launch in India - Oct 2010. A more probable date for me is January-March 2011.

Tough choice!

Regards

Computer generated pics of the new 5 fyr:

>>> Evolutionary design by Hooydonk, with Bangle trademarks muted
I am not particularly enamoured with the largish kidney grille. Looks a tad disproportionate.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3-series and 5-series - next generation?-2010bmw5seriesrendering001_100195834_l.jpg  

BMW 3-series and 5-series - next generation?-2010bmw5seriesrendering002_100195833_l.jpg  

Old 31st October 2009, 17:14   #11
R.D

Wow i think the new 5 looks really nice... but if you wait till 2010 you would get a car reg in 2010 instead of 2009 thefore resale value would be better. You might get a higher discount too because BMW ppl might want to get rid of all ther prev gen 5 series.
Old 31st October 2009, 20:53   #12

Thanks everybody for your inputs.

@S350L-E240 - A special thanks to you. After reading your post, i searched for "bmw 5 series november 2009" on google and came through the following LINK. According to the site, the new 5-series will be launched in November 2009 in international markets. That means we can get the 5-series in India after 6-8 months. I guess you are right, maybe i should wait for the F10; but i'll have to save more money for it .

@issigonis - I guess its personal preference but i really like the pics you have attached. If the F10 is gonna look like the one in the picture, i'll be one of the first ones to buy it (i.e. if i decide against the 320d/520d and am able to save for the F10). Also, you are absolutley right about the current 5's production. One of my friend knows a person who works in BMW showroom in mumbai. According to him, the current 5's production will stop in Nov/Dec 2009 (in india) but he doesn't have any clue about the launch date of the new 5-series.
But i am confused about this line - "I think that your dealer is offering a discount on the 5 because of the launch of the new E and the new E models which will be launched soon in India. Not because of the new 5." why wouldn't they offer me bigger discounts if the current 5 is being discontinued?

@R.D - i agree with you. since its already november, i might as well wait for 2 more months and take the delivery in Jan '10. That way i'll have 2010 registration and will be able to get a better resale value later on.

Check out these pics of F10's interiors - 2011 BMW 5 Series interior nearly revealed qq4 ? BMW BLOG
Old 31st October 2009, 23:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

The 5 series will be out sooner than later as you mentioned it should be here in 6 to 8 months for sure. You can even look at the new E diesels coming up if you are open to other options in the segement.
Old 1st November 2009, 21:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

@InfinityG37_Fan, Trust me I don't believe the F10 will be really expensive compared to a similar spec'd out E60, infact I think the price difference will be so marginal that perhaps even if you put all your money into some fixed deposit until the F10 arrives you might have some change left to fill her up from the gas station on your first drive,

About the E60 production as far as I know they have officially stopped it. I'll confirm but I know for a fact that E60 besides the M5 and touring cars are no more made in Germany.

I'll tell you what, Please just get the F10, i'll buy you dinner! And about the E-Class (W212) no please, no! I mean it's great but only till the F10 comes, unless you get the E63 then I will personally roll the red carpet for you.

Regards,
Old 7th November 2009, 00:41   #15

I guess its almost official now that the BMW 5-series will be revealed by end of this month. I came across this article (Link) which says that "BMW will formally show off the new 5-series later in November 2009" and "UK sales of the saloon will kick off in March 2010". It means that the F10 would likely land in India by end of 2010 unless BMW has something else planned up its sleeves. The spy pics seem to be similiar to what issigonis pasted, i.e. large kidney grill, back lights similiar

@S350L-E240 - Thanks for offering to roll the red carpet for me .
A major factor in deciding whether to go for any of these car is goona be moolah $$$$. I had a budget of 30-32 lacs in mind and was earlier looking at either a 320d or C-class (i wasn't looking at Audi becuase it doen't have the snob value.. yeah i need some of it ). After reading 100s of posts/threads comparing the 3-series/C-Class, 5-series/E-class, i concluded that 520d was the best bang for the buck. I tried negotiating with the dealer and was able to get a 3.5 lacs discount. Now, if i go for the F10, it would cost 6-7 lacs extra which would really be a stretch for me. Also, I'm not even sure whether BMW would launch the new F10 with 320d's engine (the way it has in the current 520d). If that's not the case, the car is gonna cost upwards of 40 lacs which is wayyyyyy beyond my budget. Anyways, I'm planning to hold off the decesion till Jan-Feb of next year. If I'm able to save some money, i might end up buying the F10 only. Now I'm eagerly waiting for BMW to launch the F10 in November 2009. I'll definately take a decesion after that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks