Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2009, 21:26   #1
BHPian

Mercedes W203 C220CDI or W211 E200K

Given the options, given the budget, of a choice between the following two vehicles:

(1) 2005 C220CDI 45000Km in what appears to be excellent condition. No known issues.

(2) 2004 E200K 55000Km in "ok" condition. The known issues are: (a) One of the centre AC blower vents seemed partially blocked, which leads me to believe it was manahandled or for some reason the Dash panel was removed. (b) Vibration related to the engine & gear mounts only at idle, which makes me wonder how a petrol engine could have worn out mounts as early as this. So has the odo been tampered with...

Obviously from the above the C is a better buy. However, I am more "fond" of the E (the added space in the rear / status value etc.) and hence have following queries:

(1) Say a year or so down the line, which in your opinion would depriciate more? The E on account of it being a petrol/2004 or the C on account of it being a C?

(2) Also, which would be an easier sell later...I presume the C, however your views would help. Intention being to swap, when affordable, with an E220CDI, E 270CDI or 280CDI.

(3) Have also "heard" the C suspension tends get loose no matter how easy you drive around 50,000Kms. is this true? Personally, its hard to believe as I feel if your drive behaviour is careful your suspension will last.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mohnish : 1st November 2009 at 21:29.
Old 1st November 2009, 22:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

2004 E200K I assume is before the facelift? My answer = Avoid!

2005 C220CDI is the facelifted car I guess, so get that. MB sorted a lot of problems in the C and E after their facelifts and believe me you dont want to get close to any of these cars before their midlife facelift.

About the depreciation etc, I honestly don't know much but considering your description about the E, it already has issues so I'm pretty sure years down the line when you do try to upgrade those issues may haunt you?

And about the selling easy part? Both!

And about the suspension on the C, I don't know much I never owned the previous gen C so no comments but I'm sure GTO or someone else who owned the car will answer you better.

P.S If you dont mind me asking what is the budged? have you considered the BMW 320i when they were launched? those cars should go for a good deal, and reliable as a platinum ring!
Old 1st November 2009, 22:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Ac problem does come in the cars after 38,000kms if it is done they are back to original. It is just cleanup rquired and people neglect it due to the cost. I had the same on my E at 39,000kms. The vibrations are due to the gear mounts that need to be replaced. They do get affected due to our kind of roads. I have had mine replaced too. The odo has not been tampered but i am guessing due to the cost involved the owner has decided to sell the car and let the buyer deal with it.

The E would dpriciate more than the C. Primarily cause it is a Petrol and secondly it is a 200.

The E to E swap would be better as you are already used to the size of the car. Both cars a few years down the line would be at a difference of a Lakh of rupees. It really makes no difference as you would be loosing money on both.

The C does have suspension issues regardless of it being driven hard or easy. his was a company fault and has nothing to do with the Driver. I think GTO would be a better person to answer that as he has a C220 cdi.

If it is not a bother to disclose the price of the E200k as a friend of mine has a 05 E200k done 47,000kms and wants to change it. The car is one owner black with black and always chauffer driven. Thank you

Last edited by speedy : 1st November 2009 at 22:17.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Stay away from E200, I have been advised by MB insider to stay away from any C as after 65k the music starts! All sorts of issues related to suspension and mechanicals typically come up with any C (pre/post facelift). Diesel E's are better bets and hold on to their values slightly better than C's. So if you bump up your budget a little you will get E220 CDI's (04 onwards).

Do share prices you are being offered cars at. thx
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:25   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
Given the options
Between the two, I'd go for the C220. Way more power + torque, a newer car, lower mileage and seems to be in better condition.

The E200K is very underwhelming to drive. That 1.8 super-charged engine does alright in the city, but on an open road / highway, its the worst one could ask for Link to comparo between the two. The previous E Class' interiors were smaller than that of the W210; fact is, the space really isn't all that much more than the C.

Plus, when its time to sell, diesel Benz' move quicker.

Quote:
Have also "heard" the C suspension tends get loose no matter how easy you drive around 50,000Kms.
I drive my car VERY hard and the suspension never really went "loose". However, I did need to overhaul the front at about 50,000 kms. Expenses that you should expect:

- The C & the E, both, need new evaporators every 2 - 3 years.

- The C220 will need new engine mounts at 50K. Rs. 7,000 at an independent, Rs. 30,000 at authorised.

Budget for a total of 50 - 75K each year in maintenance (after-market pricing of course) and you are all set.
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Pardon my lack of knowledge but what are the symptoms felt that lead to replacement of engine mounting?
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:33   #7
BHPian

I had picked up a 2005 C220 in Jan with 32k on the odo. I have hardly driven the car and its only done 4k in 10 months. I had to change the front shocks, left engine mounting, brake pads and even after changing the shocks the right suspension is still making some noise. After talking to a few people they told me that if you do not drive the car much the shocks are bound to get spoilt, is this true?
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sahil some level of driveline and general viberation that can be felt in the cabin whilts idling, accessive during gear change or whilst engaginging drive/reverse. If this is not happening then early telltale signs are radom viberation coming whilst driving or more than normal viberation felt in steering wheel whilst driving. Hope this helps

Last edited by canonball : 2nd November 2009 at 15:37.
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:24   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Sahil some level of driveline and general viberation that can be felt in the cabin whilts idling, accessive during gear change or whilst engaginging drive/reverse. If this is not happening then early telltale signs are radom viberation coming whilst driving or more than normal viberation felt in steering wheel whilst driving. Hope this helps
What about engine shut-down shuddering/shake? Is that a sign of engine mount wearing out?
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:03   #10
BHPian

Got the C220CDI

Thanks a ton for all the replies...

I got the 2005 facelift C220CDI...(44K on the odo, full service history, single owner etc etc)..."looks" and "drives" very very clean, but let see what the stars foretell!!!

Swapped it with my 98 E250D (about 75K on the odo, 3rd owner) + 7L on top.

@GTO : Your thread (E200K vs C220CDI) and experience regards the C220CDI was pretty much a clincher for me, considering I have no experience of the Cs.

Obviously, considering I am new to this variant I will post a few queries as I stumble across them in a seperate and appropriate thread.

Have always been in an E since about 20 years now, from the 123s, 124s to the W210s (non CDI as well as CDI). Will post my thoughts on a comparison between the W210s and the W203 in a few days after the dust settles.

btw: did also try a 07 320 BMW. Found the suspension setup too hard for our roads. Not my kind of drive.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Mohnish : 2nd November 2009 at 19:06.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mohnish I am on the look out for a W210 E250 Auto, was yours the same? What color was it?
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
What about engine shut-down shuddering/shake? Is that a sign of engine mount wearing out?
If the shutdown viberation/shudder is high (read more than normal) yes the mounts need to be changed
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:18   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Hi Mohnish I am on the look out for a W210 E250 Auto, was yours the same? What color was it?
Have responded to your pm on above query.
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:27   #14
BHPian

W203 C220CDI user queries.

Hi,

As some of you already are aware, I have recently aquired a 2005 W203 C220CDI and its a helluva drive!!!! Absolutely love it, but thats another thread.

This thread is for you'll to help me get aquainted as thought he PO has the entire documentation right form original invoice upto service history etc. he has "misplaced" the owner's manual!!! just my luck!!!

Ok so here are my newbie queries :

Query No. (1): There is this Auto button on the AC console. I have a rough idea as to what it does but require a detialed clarification and instructions as to how / when it is to be used. Photo below for your easy identification, howver the Team BHP logo has covered part of it. Its the centre button.

Mercedes W203 C220CDI or W211 E200K-ac-w203.jpg

Query No. (2): There is an AC vent controller like rotary dial in a longitudanal orientatinon the flat centre part of the dash below the perforated speaker lke fitting. What does that do?

Thanks in advance...I am sure there will be more questions form my end, so please bear with me!!!

@mods: If I've goofed on the correct forum for this post kindly redirect...my apologies.

Last edited by Mohnish : 2nd November 2009 at 22:33.
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:32   #15
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride!!
I'm sure our inhouse C220 CDI expert GTO will be be able guide you best . Look through his ownership thread. It is a treasure trove!

Most Viewed