Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 16:19   #1
BHPian

All days I dream about Mercedes

Hi All,

I’m not a rich kid, earning a take home of 8lakhs per annum, at the moment. Owning a Mercedes is my dream, of course with a maximum budget of 8-9lakhs. I know my options will be very limited within that budget but I cannot afford more than that with my current income.

I don’t have detailed knowledge about different variants of Mercs. Which one would be the best pick for me, in terms of reliability and features, within my budget?

I’ve come across many other Merc threads and came to know that a decent model will consume 20k for maintenance in 6 months. Is this applicable for all Merc models?

Should I look for Patrol or Diesel, if I decide to go for one?

Bangalore seems to be bit high in prices, is it worth looking for one from Mumbai/Pune? So that I may get a better model for the same price?

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
Hi All,

Bangalore seems to be bit high in prices, is it worth looking for one from Mumbai/Pune? So that I may get a better model for the same price?
Prices in Bangalore are high because we are one among the highest road tax payers. Even if you buy it from Pune/Bombay, once you get the car to Karnataka, you will have to re register it. Thus shelling even more money from your pocket. Try to find a car which is registered in Karnataka.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey always willing to help dreamers!

What is your usage pattern? The issue with 8 lacs MB's is that you should be willing to spend nearly 3 lacs if there are any out of schedule expenses over say 5 years (if you are lucky you may never spend that 3 lacs). So I would think a W124 E250D (96/97) model for 3 to 4 lacs is good bet. With this model you are safe as you will not loose money on the purchase price.

2). What is
Old 30th November 2009, 16:40   #4
BHPian

Even i was in the same dialema and finally went for a OHC . I saw some good W124 infact a KA registered one for 4 lakh in USED CARS KERALA buy USED CARS sell USED CARS exchange of USED CARS . And one of my uncle was also trying to trade of his E250D for 5-6 lakh that is a KL Registartion. A Gem of a car he maintained it well ,but the maintenance cost was the one which made me to think in other directions.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
What is your usage pattern? The issue with 8 lacs MB's is that you should be willing to spend nearly 3 lacs if there are any out of schedule expenses over say 5 years (if you are lucky you may never spend that 3 lacs). So I would think a W124 E250D (96/97) model for 3 to 4 lacs is good bet. With this model you are safe as you will not loose money on the purchase price.
Thanks for your help. I'll be covering around 10k km per annum with very limited city drive. I've red that W124's are the best build for the beginners. Will 96/97 W124 be better than a 2000 model Merc, if available in budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
Even i was in the same dialema and finally went for a OHC . I saw some good W124 infact a KA registered one for 4 lakh in USED CARS KERALA buy USED CARS sell USED CARS exchange of USED CARS . And one of my uncle was also trying to trade of his E250D for 5-6 lakh that is a KL Registartion. A Gem of a car he maintained it well ,but the maintenance cost was the one which made me to think in other directions.
Can you please get me some pics/details about the E250D? I don't mind a KL registration. What used to be the maintenance cost of your E250D?

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd December 2009 at 19:44. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 30th November 2009, 23:54   #6
BHPian

In Mumbai you might just get a C-180K for that price. Do check out the prices in Banglore. I know GTO and Sahil both had bad experiences with that particular model, but then a cousin of mine apparently has had better luck.
Old 1st December 2009, 11:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
In Mumbai you might just get a C-180K for that price. Do check out the prices in Banglore. I know GTO and Sahil both had bad experiences with that particular model, but then a cousin of mine apparently has had better luck.
Thanks for your input but little scared about GTO's and Sahil's experience with the C class. I cannot afford 38k for a single service, 15~20k would be affordable I guess.
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:17   #8
BHPian

Service charges would be similar for all the Benzes. The older the Benz, the more the service cost. Please keep that in mind. If you want a benz, you shall have to shell out that much. Ps. the charges which are quoted are from an authorized showroom. Independent workshops should be considerably cheaper. However, do not expect any Benz to be particularly cheap to maintain unless you are very lucky.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:10   #9
BHPian

I have been in search of w124 (e220, e250 or even the ce). Seems as though i am out of luck, because whenever i find one that is good and within what i would like to spend, it is already sold.
Came across a 1996 300ce in ludhiana, listed for 5.5 lakhs. By the time i called up, was sold. Ideally, i would like to spend about 3 lakhs on a w124 sedan and i know that is what the going rate is. Anyone on any advice where to look in delhi/ncr? Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
Service charges would be similar for all the Benzes. The older the Benz, the more the service cost. Please keep that in mind. If you want a benz, you shall have to shell out that much. Ps. the charges which are quoted are from an authorized showroom. Independent workshops should be considerably cheaper. However, do not expect any Benz to be particularly cheap to maintain unless you are very lucky.
Thanks for the advice. That's a lesson for me to learn.
Old 3rd December 2009, 20:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

W124's are as cheap to maintian then any 3 to 5 lac car the catch is it is older so critical parts like ECU/Suspension/some interior trim is pricy but the rest can be handled by a reputed private Merc garage. Petrols are not advisable if you do 10K a year.
Old 4th December 2009, 09:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
W124's are as cheap to maintian then any 3 to 5 lac car the catch is it is older so critical parts like ECU/Suspension/some interior trim is pricy but the rest can be handled by a reputed private Merc garage. Petrols are not advisable if you do 10K a year.
Thanks for your valuable input.
Old 7th December 2009, 10:32   #13
BHPian

Please have some respect for the W124.

It is certainly not a Beginner's Car in any sense. It is not a Tank and will break down if you drive it roughly.

Which Car do you own now ?
Old 7th December 2009, 17:16   #14
BHPian

@supercars:

06 Suzuki Swift Zxi
07 Maruti 800
Old 8th December 2009, 11:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi wmanu

You might find the following links useful in your search for a W124 Merc:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...ht-thanks.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...sed-value.html