Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2009, 22:28   #1
BHPian

Sports Coupe: The Boxster S or Cayman or ?

I am looking at getting a sports coupe... I just sold off my first car : The BMW 325ci and im on the lookout for something new, preferably a Porsche(wanna check out another breed of cars considering I had a BMW and currently have 2 Mercs). Looking of getting it/booking it in Jan '10. What do you guys think of the Boxster S vs the Cayman S? The Cayman is a bit higher priced and is coming to around 83 lacs on road. Will have to stretch my budget for it. If not a Porsche what other options may I consider? No Z4 and no E92 M3 for sure. How much would an SLK or even better the SL55 cost?
Old 2nd December 2009, 00:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Don't get the SLK it gets replaced with an all new car sometime in 2010 so if you can wait then it would be a great option. SL55 is not sold now but you could get used cars for a good price.

And between the Cayman and Boxter I'd choose the cayman, and while you are at it in Jan I believe Nissan is getting the 370Z give that a shot, it will cost you a lot less,

Regards,
Old 2nd December 2009, 00:43   #3

Well, If it was my money, then it would be a Z4. But, since you dont want it, The other great car in that same range should be the Cayman. Dont bother with the SLK, unless its the SLK55 AMG.
Old 2nd December 2009, 00:59   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Cls 350 or cls 350cdi could be considered to. The existing 320cdi outh to be replaced by the 350cdi engine like it has in the E and facelifted S. The diesel cls would be the best option if u want power due to its remap options. Or else the petrol engine is nice for a coupe too
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:05   #5
BHPian

Dont wanna get a cls. My bro has one already. its more of an executive kind of car IMHO. The type my dad would use. I have no qualms in getting a used car as well. After all i have a budget allotted and i must stick within. Any exotics in the sub 70 lac bracket apart from the boxster or a used cayman?
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi evil

If you are looking to spend somewhere in the region of 70 lakhs on a used exotic, I would suggest a pre owned 911 Turbo . You may very well find a 997 in your price range. A used SL55AMG would also be another alternative.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Audi TT would perfectly fit into your budget. It's fun to drive and looks good too. There's also the TT-S if you want more power but I'm not sure if it is available in India yet.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Hi evil

If you are looking to spend somewhere in the region of 70 lakhs on a used exotic, I would suggest a pre owned 911 Turbo . You may very well find a 997 in your price range. A used SL55AMG would also be another alternative.
Actually my very first choice was the 911 Carrera with the aero kit(the yellow one) which got sold and now is being used by DCs son. Next I thought of the turbo 997. Found out around town and there are currently 2 for sale..Asking Prices of the black one and the hazel coloured one( which is in impeccable condition) are much more than what Im allowed to spend.The black one is already a preowned car while the hazel one is a first owners car.
To be honest 70 is the max that i can spend.. already stretched by dad by 10lakhs. If i try anymore the tension in the string might make it snap. (if u know what im saying).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The Audi TT would perfectly fit into your budget. It's fun to drive and looks good too. There's also the TT-S if you want more power but I'm not sure if it is available in India yet.
Yeah its ideal for the budget. Around 69.65 lakhs on road for the 3.2 qauttro right? The car does not have the poise of a Porsche IMHO. Its a good car as a daily driver as well but thats not what i want.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Dippy : 2nd December 2009 at 15:53.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:57   #9
dcs
BHPian

Though I may not be too good at suggesting cars for obvious reasons, may I suggest a Nissan 370z, comes at around INR 62 Lac, all new, not preowned.

Moreover, if you are really looking for a new Sports Coupe, I think apart from a Nissan 370Z , you can try Ford Mustang too (Though not a Sports Coupe!) or a Chrysler SRT
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs View Post
Though I may not be too good at suggesting cars for obvious reasons, may I suggest a Nissan 370z, comes at around INR 62 Lac, all new, not preowned.

Moreover, if you are really looking for a new Sports Coupe, I think apart from a Nissan 370Z , you can try Ford Mustang too (Though not a Sports Coupe!) or a Chrysler SRT
I thought the 370z was announced at a lower price than 62 lakhs by Nissan, somewhere around the 40 lakhs on road.

Ford Mustang or the Chrysler SRT are not available here from a dealership and no back end for any of the cars. If i am to believe right Evil_e46 wants a hassle free car, as in he can send the car to an oficial service center for work.

Evil_e46 i would suggest you look at a porsch 996 or a 997 base as these would be in your budget. The variants would be above your budget. The cayman is more fun than the boxster for sure unless you are looking for a convertible. The other car would be the slk 350, sl500, sl 55 amg. If you do change your mind to getting back to a Bmw then the M3 or the 650ci.

If i were in your place the M3 or the SL55 AMG is what i would be getting. Daily drivers (work n play) and hassle free.

Last edited by speedy : 2nd December 2009 at 22:34.
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Get an EVO X and save the rest of the money.
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:20   #12
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Well if you are not willing to consider the Z4, then the Cayman makes the most sense. Else, a good example of an used 911 Carrera makes a great buy.
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Excuse my exuberance, What the heck why is a Porsche being compared with any other car????

Bro, just spec your car right and bring in a Cayman if not the CS (if you like the Sun and get to drive in non-pollution environment then Boxster). You are blessed to live in Mumbai and so you can enjoy the Ghats every weekend.

You will love to gift the ripped version to your great grand children

Pre-owned cars from Porsche is good idea but reading the price list does not tempt me.

Ecks was supposed to give us a report of having a Porsche in India. Ecks we are still waiting dude. Maybe you should also speak to Dante he is getting a new Cayman S. Bulk discounts

Cayman S with LSD & sports seats and you will never regret.
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:24   #14
BHPian

Speedy your right about the cayman being more fun, and i personally like the looks of it more than the boxster. But the cayman will have to be 2nd hand considering its price, while if its the boxster then i will buy it from porsche and have the extra peace of mind that comes with a brand new car. If im gonna buy a 2nd hand porsche then why not just go in for a 911 model rather than the cayman. So you see the cayman is getting a beating from either perspective

I like that idea Nikhil. Its a great saturday night car and I can take it to college as well unlike the Porsche. But i havent yet seen an Evo 10 on the roads in bombay. Do you know of any? for sale ?
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:24   #15

Do NOT..I Repeat DO NOT buy a used SL55 AMG. Unless you want to have the car parked at the garage for most of the time you have it. I knew of one SL 55 which was recently for sale and it was in PATHETIC condition. Also, If you do find one in good nick (difficult) you will easily get it in around 45-55 laks!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks