Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 13:47   #1

Confused - SUV (FR2/Touareg) or E 350 CDI

Dear GTO,

Am an avid follower of the team BHP site and was one of the main reasons for me to purchase my first car.

Due to my respect of team BHP memebers detailed reviews and non biased advice, i would really be grateful if you could give me some too.

Currently , we (family) have a 525 d and Audi A-4 . Luv the beemer, but frankly, the A4 is a bit of a disappointment.Plan to sack the A4 and buy preferably a premium SUV.

Now the problem :
Frankly had an eye for the Q7 but kinda outta range .Dont really fancy the Q5 or the X3 also , ride quality is quite mediocre.

Contemplating seriously on a freelander 2 or the Touareg, but still not convinced.Pls advice alternate options.price range (upper limit- 50 lakh)
Looking for :
- Comfort
- reliability
- less servicing cost
- Ride

If not , 2nd option would be to go in for the new E350 diesel, to be launched.

Would really appreciate ur help on the same.

Thanks a ton !!!

Siddharth
Old 7th December 2009, 16:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

As you have said you already have a sedan 525d from the same segment as the new E350cdi why Dont you go out and testdrive the Touareg?
Old 7th December 2009, 17:20   #3
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Although the Freelander is adequately powered, has great ride and handling and good snob value, the VW Touareg seems to be a better choice as it is more powerful, has superb interiors, good off-roading abilities as well as good ride and an awesome 3.0 diesel engine. Moreover its more VFM than the Freelander which makes it a better value SUV. Its better you test-drive both the SUVs and then put your money.
Old 7th December 2009, 17:33   #4
BHPian

Why not the Q5 or Cayenne Diesel???
Old 7th December 2009, 18:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Dear GTO,
May we "regular" BHPians take the liberty to answer too?

Since you already have the 525d, I'd suggest you get the Touareg. It makes more sense than the E350 CDi for you as an SUV has a ton of more advantages.
The E350 CDi would not be all that more fun to drive than the 525d, if at all ! Although you would get a more comfortable ride and better interior than the 5.

The Touareg would be more spacious and versatile than the E. Besides you get a large boot space for weekend getaways and that go-any-where capability that no sedan can match.

Whats the pricing on the Touareg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMan View Post
Why not the Q5 or Cayenne Diesel???
Although personally the Q5 feels most "special" in this segment but I guess if he wasn't impressed with the A4, the Q5 wouldn't go much for him.
The Cayanne_D would be out of budget as it's similar pricing to the Q7.

Last edited by Sahil : 7th December 2009 at 18:24.
Old 7th December 2009, 18:47   #6
BHPian

get a SUV.
I personally prefer the FR2 or any LR for that matter but A$$ in Delhi would be a pain given no official dealer anywhere except mumbai.
Touareg also has a very macho look and looks more SUV'ish than the audi's.
You can also give the ML a look.I think It costs the same as the VW.

BTW if the snob value is not that important give the Prado a shot.

Last edited by akshaymahajan : 7th December 2009 at 18:49.
Old 7th December 2009, 19:49   #7
v10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
get a SUV.
I personally prefer the FR2 or any LR for that matter but A$$ in Delhi would be a pain given no official dealer anywhere except mumbai.
Touareg also has a very macho look and looks more SUV'ish than the audi's.
You can also give the ML a look.I think It costs the same as the VW.

BTW if the snob value is not that important give the Prado a shot.
The New Delhi Dealer is starting up this month and there are going to a few deliveries this month itself.
I feel you should test drive the Land Rover. Personally i hate the touareg. The after sales in delhi is a pain too (coming from a VW passat owner).
Old 7th December 2009, 22:44   #8
BHPian

Nimrod,

As you already have 5 series, it would be better to go in for SUV rather than another similar sized sedan such as the E class. The VW Touareg is a decent option and is quite loaded at about 52 lacs and you should be able to get some sort of dicsount on it, as it is quite near its life cycle and new Touareg should be out in 2011 or 2012.

One more SUV you can look at is the X5 which is about 52-53 for the basic x5 3.0d, much less than the x5 3.0d Highline which is over 62 lacs.

Commenting on the Freelander 2, I feel it is a notch below Touareg and the BMW x3 and x5. The FreeLander 2 looks, ummm like a Ford. Now if you can afford the Range Rover Sports, that vehicle is a dream ride.

I personally have a x3 2.0d here in Chandigarh and absolutely love it. Managable size in the city for self-driving coupled with decent power and okay ride. Get it in a color other than black or white and it really stands out. My friend here has a x5 3.0d and my x3 gets a lot more stares and comments as compared to his x5. LOL

If I were to go in for new vehicle for about 50 L today, I would choose the Touareg with my eyes closed. (even though u can buy the maintanence packs from BMW, which is not offered by VW)

Anyways, just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Last edited by ackyash : 7th December 2009 at 22:51. Reason: spellings
Old 8th December 2009, 13:28   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Currently , we (family) have a 525 d
Since you already have a 5 series, buying a similarly sized E Class is pointless. Rather, splurge on an SUV.

Your requirements:

Quote:
Looking for :
- Comfort
- reliability
- less servicing cost
- Ride
I cannot recommend a used Landcruiser enough to you. That is, of course, if you are open to used. A Landcruiser is built for atleast 5.0 lakh kms of reliable service. And "they never break down". The Germans can only dream of the kind of reliability you will have with a Landcruiser. Plus, its massive, powerful (V8 torquey diesels), supremely comfortable and has presence. Pricewise, I saw a 6 month old LC200 (latest generation) petrol landcruiser going for for less than 50 lakhs. Diesel LC200 not sure. However, you can get a '06 year old LC100 (previous generation) Landcruiser for 35 lakhs (or in the ballpark).

Believe you me, a Landcruiser is a solid companion for life.

Quote:
the A4 is a bit of a disappointment.Plan to sack the A4 and buy preferably a premium SUV.
Why did you find the A4 a disappointment? Do share your thoughts with us as they may be of help to potential owners.
Old 13th December 2009, 23:27   #10
BHPian

GTO got a Land Cruiser ?

I advise you to go for a SUV that no one else will advise you. Believe me and go for the Ford Endeavour. It is Large, Quiet Cheap(considering your budget) & will take the Worst of the Roads. I am sure it is quiet reliable too. You can PM me also if you want any more information.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

A very high number of old gen LC's have suspect papers and being ladder on chasiss ride can be unwieldy. Touareg has a air sus so may have better ride although the one I rode in EU was a stiff maybe set on stiff setting, she is up for a model changeover. I would wait or since you like Q7 there a several preowned cars with low miles in the market could get them cheaper than new touareg and get what your really want. Q7 is a relatively safe 2nd hand bet if you wait and patiently grab one (can be had with less than 10K km's in some cases). Often Audi has cancelations of their company pre order cars which they want to offload whilst in shippment you get a discount and being year end could be a good thing explore it other wise wait till we are in 2010 some more action benefitting consumers

Last edited by canonball : 15th December 2009 at 11:40.
Old 15th December 2009, 11:55   #12
BHPian

@nimrod, I think the best option is VW Touageg for you as it has the best deisel engine under the hood which can easily pull an aircraft even.
Old 15th December 2009, 12:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hiren Touareg which pulled/can pull aircrafts is the V10 diesel not the V6 nimrod is looking at. Big difference so lets not get carried away
Old 18th December 2009, 14:43   #14
BHPian

Depending on how much off-roading you are planning to do:

If it would be like most of the junta better to get marginally more expensive Q7 that would give you 7 seat comfort and air-suspension over the touareg that is now offered by VW India. It can do fair bit of off-roading too but I presume not in the same league as a Touareg. Highway cruising with the family would be a fun however with all the extra space you get.

If you prefer performance and everyday use including city runs then Q5 could be a better bet.

Both presumably would be better in terms of resale compared to a Touareg.
Old 18th December 2009, 15:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Depending on how much off-roading you are planning to do:

If it would be like most of the junta better to get marginally more expensive Q7 that would give you 7 seat comfort and air-suspension over the touareg that is now offered by VW India. It can do fair bit of off-roading too but I presume not in the same league as a Touareg. Highway cruising with the family would be a fun however with all the extra space you get.

If you prefer performance and everyday use including city runs then Q5 could be a better bet.

Both presumably would be better in terms of resale compared to a Touareg.
I'm guessing nimrod didn't like the interior of his A4, so there's very little chance that he'll be enamored by the Q twins. Plus, the Q7 will be out of his budget.

Siddharth/nimrod, what exactly did you find disappointing in the A4? Is yours a B8 (latest gen) or B7?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks