Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 12:20   #1
BHPian

Audi A4 - 1.8 or 2.0 ?!?

Hi Guys!

Its taken me a while but I have pretty much decided on the A4! With wayy better looks than the 3 & much better equipment/drive than the C, it wasn't a difficult choice! Now comes the even harder part...choosing between the 1.8 tfsi or 2.0 tdi

Honestly, i didnt feel a huge difference between the petrol & diesel - having never owned a diesel I surprisingly found it to be quite refined but nothing ridiculous in terms of performance.

What can be a crucial deciding factor is that the dealership is offering ridiculous discounts on their 3.2's! Fully loaded with B&O, rear seat screens, etc etc! BUT apparently, these are their 'stock' cars and they have had it for what i assume is atleast 6 months. The mileage on the cars is insignificant - 15/20 km - they said this A4 is without the rear LEDs - does that help in determining in exactly how old these are?

Can the stagnation cause any problems? I would expect in some ways yes, but I am not technically qualified to make such a judgment. Anybody with a similar experience or insight?

Thanks!
Old 30th December 2009, 12:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

Well, you should be able to get a good discount.
Stagnation may not be too much a problem, make sure it has a proper PDI. Ask for an extended warranty or similar. Worth chcking whether LED tail lamps could be added late
Old 30th December 2009, 13:10   #3
BHPian

3.2 FSI is perfect for A4 but get the car with drive select.If you let me know the colour i can find out imported date.You need 97 for this car work to its full potential.

PJ
Old 30th December 2009, 13:11   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post

What can be a crucial deciding factor is that the dealership is offering ridiculous discounts on their 3.2's! Fully loaded with B&O, rear seat screens, etc etc! BUT apparently, these are their 'stock' cars and they have had it for what i assume is atleast 6 months. The mileage on the cars is insignificant - 15/20 km

Thanks!
Can you please share the discounts offered on the 3.2 FSI ?

Also, you mean 15/20 k kms ?
Old 30th December 2009, 13:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Also, you mean 15/20 k kms ?
Nope - its around 15/20 km not k.

Going back and forth between the dealers on the discounts, will let you know once I get something finalized.

My concern is the stagnation period and how it might affect the car, is the PDI enough to ascertain the condition accurately? With the car just lying in the showroom for months and nobody having driven it, wouldn't it affect something in the car?

PJSPEED - Grey, White & Beige - i'm leaning towards either the white or Grey. Appreciate any help on your part! Can i ask how you will get this info? thanks!
Old 30th December 2009, 16:43   #6
BHPian

What are the final costs for each? That should make decision easier.
Old 30th December 2009, 23:35   #7
BHPian

I remember reading in Autocar/ Overdrive a few months ago, that Audi was planning to launch the 2.0 TDI with 170 odd bhp.

This was to keep up with the 320d and C220.

Please check with your dealer as to when this is expected.
Old 31st December 2009, 00:26   #8
BHPian

Forget the 1.8 Tsi. If you want a dun to drive car get the 2.0 TSI. Unless you get an amazing deal on the Quattro. I got the 2.0 TDI which is great, but for performance , the 2.0 TSI will eat it alive. Expect FE to spiral downward every time you put the pedal to the metal though for the TSI. You wont be able to drive it economically even if you wanted to. It's addictive!
Old 1st January 2010, 21:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

How much discount are you getting on the 3.2FSI?
Old 2nd January 2010, 02:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSPEED View Post
3.2 FSI is perfect for A4 but get the car with drive select.If you let me know the colour i can find out imported date.You need 97 for this car work to its full potential.

PJ
Speed97 has been discontinued
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:31   #11
BHPian

Went through a similar exercise a few months ago and bought the 2.0 TFSI and love it. It is a fun car to drive, is surprisingly frugal of fuel when driven calmly but also packs some serious punch when desired. When I made the decision, the 3.2's did not carry any discount so the decision was not further complicated. If you can afford the extra bucks for the 3.2 and live with the ongoing expenses of the car (read pathetic FE), go for it. It is one of the most capable and fun performance oriented 4 door sports cars around!!
Old 2nd January 2010, 10:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

The 2 litre petrol would be the right choice if you are iffy with diesels. Resale value will however be low compared to the diesel sibling. The deisel 2 litre is great to drive. I have driven the 3.2 extensively but the only feature I found worth it was the quattro drive. nothing else in it was exciting enough to merit the extra $$

You should look at the 2.0 TFSI or the deisel. That is just my POV. Happy buying. Now that the calender year has changed, you can push for some more "discounts" :-)

Cheers
Old 4th January 2010, 22:33   #13
BHPian

If you could just try out the 3.0 TDI. I'm sure it will whet your appetite!!
Old 10th January 2010, 22:29   #14
BHPian

I test drove the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol engines as well as the 2.0 TDI. The 2.0 petrol (TFSI) is by far the best of the lot, with as much torque as the diesel and with a much higher BHP count. It is also the one 'true Audi' engine with the 1.8 petrol and the 2.0 diesel finding use in the Laura/Superb/Passat.

The 3.2 is a old discontinued engine. I was getting a lot of discounts on that as well, but IMHO, better to go with the engine that has won accolades and awards globally for audi - the 2.0 TFSI.

last point - I had initially settled on a car, that was 3 months old in the showroom (Model year 2009, was getting an additional 1L discount) - when i went to do the pdi, realized that there was a dent in the door panel. The dealer replaced with a brand new car (Model year 2010, with led tail lights) at the same price. If you do decide to go with a Model year 2009 car, just be very careful with the PDI.
Old 11th January 2010, 05:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant03 View Post
I test drove the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol engines as well as the 2.0 TDI. The 2.0 petrol (TFSI) is by far the best of the lot, with as much torque as the diesel and with a much higher BHP count. It is also the one 'true Audi' engine with the 1.8 petrol and the 2.0 diesel finding use in the Laura/Superb/Passat.
Yes thats Right it is one killer engine :-)

Last edited by Berj79 : 11th January 2010 at 05:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks