Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 12:59   #1
BHPian

BMW 3 series (corp edition) or Laura L&K?

Hello Fellow team bhpians,

My family is planning to buy a new sedan for my Father... Earlier he had a Honda accord. Now the plan is to buy a BMW 3 series corporate edition (On road 26 lacs) or a Skoda Laura l&K (On road 19 lacs) in Navi Mumbai. Now here's our dilemma. Our budget for down payment is 15lacs and rest on loan. If we go for the bmw the loan would be 10 lacs & above and with the Laura it would be around 4 lacs.

Is it worth to take an additional loan in order to buy the BMW or the Laura is a better option

Please share your views as it would help us to decide which car to purchase.

Thanks again.... awaiting your responses

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2010 at 19:17. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares!
Old 27th January 2010, 13:03   #2
BHPian

Strange comparision. And on an even stranger factor !
You are thinking on the choice of car which costs 20L or upwards, and on the loan factor ! That, after owning an Accord ?

If budget permits, go for the BMW by all means.
That would be an upgrade from the Accord. (The Superb is on level with the Accord, almost. Laura is a step down.)

Again, if it is for 'self drive', and has to be a true performance and loaded car & at a competitive price, Laura is excellent at that aspect.

Last edited by jigbarai : 27th January 2010 at 13:06.
Old 27th January 2010, 13:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

It certainly is a strange comparision. Why get the Laura L&K when you can get the Superb 1.8TSi around the same price.
Comparising the Superb to the 3 series would make more sense. In this case, get the BMW if you want the snob value and drive yourself. On everything else the Superb wins- much much more features, a loooooooot more space (especially at the back), quicker than the 3 series if you get the 1.8 TSi.
Old 27th January 2010, 13:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Space is at a premium in both cars. especially after the accord you had. If you father likes to drive then bmw. snob value then bmw. upgrade point of view bmw. I cant think of a reason why you would pick up a laura over a bmw unless the loan factor is the only deciding factor. but if it is..then why even consider the bmw. you could look at the new superb. cheaper then the bmw. spacious as hell and loaded.
Old 27th January 2010, 13:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

No point getting the L&K Laura. Get the Superb instead ! Very good VFM.

I do not know much about the corp variant of the 3 series Beemer. Does it come completely stripped down ?
Old 27th January 2010, 13:41   #6
BHPian

Thanks Guys for the inputs... also another factor here is that we want a diesel engine in the car.... so the superb diesel was considered but it goes upto 24-25 lacs....
The BMW 3 series corp edition doesnt have idrive, sunroof, leatherseats , electronic seats and HID (xenons) reast all are same.
Old 27th January 2010, 13:45   #7
BHPian

Any reason, you missed the Jetta TDi or Passat TDi or the Sonata Embera Transform?

Pick the Sonata Embera Transform to be driven around else the 320D to drive...

Last edited by AirWind : 27th January 2010 at 13:46.
Old 27th January 2010, 13:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Are there any more reasons? just kidding.

BMW for the sheer enjoyment. You wont miss any of the features rest you are into snob value and want bragging rights. What say?
Old 27th January 2010, 13:50   #9
BHPian

Note from Mod : Please avoid typing with excessive dots..........like..........this............Thanks

We did consider the Jetta and the passat, however the looks were not that appealing and the price just dint feel right for the Jetta....

Not intrested in Hyundai at the moment.....

We plan to drive the car... no chauffer for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Any reason, you missed the Jetta TDi or Passat TDi or the Sonata Embera Transform?

Pick the Sonata Embera Transform to be driven around else the 320D to drive...
i couldnt agree with you more.. a beemer is a beemer after all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Are there any more reasons? just kidding.

BMW for the sheer enjoyment. You wont miss any of the features rest you are into snob value and want bragging rights. What say?

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2010 at 19:22. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 31st January 2010, 20:52   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

A neighbour of mine replaced last gen Accord (black) with Superb (white). Funny because I thought Honda customers never touch Skoda :-) He also has E-class, Innova, etc. so he was not looking for a badge but a replacement for the Accord.

Laura/3 series is not a good replacement for Accord considering the backseat comfort. I have the older Laura L&K, while it's a good car but far from the BMW leauge. Superb is VFM if badge is not important.

PS: I take loan only for assets that appreciate (home, education, etc.) - the rest I earn and buy. But this just a post - do what makes your family happy! :-)
Old 3rd February 2010, 16:55   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Though you want a diesel, I feel the Superb Petrol is best suited for you. Skoda Superb would be a kind off upgrade on the previous vehicle - cost similar to the laura TDI and significantly lower than the BMW - has much more space than the BMW and is close on features as well at a lesser price - fuel effeciency is all that you loose and that might at most cost you about 1-1.5L more a year if you drive in excess of 25-30K kms a year.

Since the excess cost would not be upfront compared to the extra that you pay for the Superb or BMW diesel - it would be better deal considering cost of money - interest etc.

The maintenance cost of superb though high would be overall lesser than that of the Superb.

The Laura is a diesel but it is somehow a size smaller than what you already had. So thats not recommended unless the objective is to drive the car rather than be seated in the rear seat.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think the Superb Petrol advice is on the money. The 6-7 lakh difference will itself cover for the diesel economy.
Old 4th February 2010, 13:14   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If Badge Value is of primary importance then most Definitely BMW

If genuine Value proposition / bang for the buck is of greater importance, then buy the Skoda Superb top end - you will get everything and more that you normally get only in the really premium executive sedans.

If you've already got BMW and Superb in your consideration set, then why bother with the Laura L&K at all?

Instead, consider the VW Passat and other such vehicles.
Old 4th February 2010, 16:51   #14
BHPian

Thanks guys for your advise, we have booked the BMW based on the inputs received. Really appreciate your time on this.
Old 4th February 2010, 17:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th February 2010 at 19:07.
arjunrudra is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks