Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 15:42   #1

Used 2001 E220 CDI Merc, what you think?

Hello all,

i've been a silent reader of T-Bhp since last year. I've got a lot of knowhow about cars & jeeps through T-Bhp. Now i need advice from you people.

I got an offer, what do you think? is it a nice try?

Car: Mercedes Benz E220 CDI
Year: 2001
KM: 76000
Price asked: 12'000'00.00

My dad already made a TD and he said it drives really well. I dont know any further details.

I need your opinion genie's. Should i go for it?

Thanks in advance
jense
Old 1st February 2010, 16:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

IMO that price is too high, it should be around 7-9 lacs. also i think the mercs from that time were not supposed to be very reliable. lets see what the merc experts have to say.
Old 1st February 2010, 16:23   #3
BHPian

A Little High prices honestly my opinion, though I am not sure of Kerala but Mercs dont have that resale in Northern India & Delhi, so it should be on the lower side of 10 L alteast.
Old 1st February 2010, 17:06   #4
BHPian

j4jense,

A couple of points to aid in your decision making :

1. Get the car checked throughly at an authorised Merc dealer; they charge some five thousand odd, but it is money well spent
2. Get them to check not only the engine and transmission but also the suspension and the brakes; also check for general look and feel. These will reveal if the car has been badly driven or has been involved in accidents or not
3. Demand the full service history from the seller; if there are any long gaps between service, please ask questions to find out
4. Electricals and fuses is one key area in these high end cars; please get them checked
5. With 76k kms on the clock, the asking price seems on the higher side
6. Re-think why you need a used, nine year old car, albeit from a renowned marque, when you can buy a new, modern car for the same amount or less; remember, although you are buying a car at a price much lower than for a new one, it has been priced accordingly- so service & spares will cost you a packet
7. Request merc experts like GTO, speedy and V16 here to help you

Regards & safe driving
Old 1st February 2010, 17:14   #5

Thank you guys for your valuable comments.
I was actually thinking of buying a new Toyota Innova V. Then after i got this offer, now got in confusion and thought i'll ask our genie's in T-Bhp.
Old 1st February 2010, 17:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Expensive in my opinion.
I have no knowledge in terms of Mercs but IU am going by this experience. My cousin recently sold his E240 2003 Delhi VIP no, 90-100 k kms done for 9.25 Lacs!!!
So going by that a 2001 should be a little cheaper!!!
Old 1st February 2010, 17:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Expensive in my opinion !!!

Wait for a few hours and I am sure a lot of people here will comment as they have C Class Merc's. GTO had one and he might comment on this one

Meanwhile - Check carwale.com for prices.
Old 1st February 2010, 20:06   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I got just one word to tell you : RUN. Modern Merc's start showing their internal gremlins after 5 - 6 years / 60,000 - 70,000 kms. You'd be much happier with a Jap luxo sedan for far less money. If you must have a Merc, get the W124. Plenty of solid cars in the market.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2010, 23:53   #9
BHPian

I think its a good idea to get a 2004 - 2005 mercedes C class if you really want to go for a Merc it woulndt be worthwile to spend so much money and get a 9 years old car .

If you would have been spending 6-7 lacks this could have been a good price 12-13 lacks buy you a brand new honda civic , corolla , 3-4 years old mitusbishi pajero and even a 5-6 years old montero,C class , 2 years old honda Accord

10 years may look like yesterday looking down the memory lane but in my opinoin only some japnese car serve you well after this time has passed

I am not saying mecr will not last after ten years but then u might spend 5-6 lacks keeping it for 5 years 12 + 6 == 18 lacks u get a fortuner or brand new honda accord no major expenses for 5 years plus when u sell u get back 8-9 lacks

What u will get for this merc is maximum 4 lacks after 5 - 6 years
I dont find any reson to not RUN as GTO said From this Deal
Old 2nd February 2010, 00:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is this a bluish grey car by any chance?
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents after doing extensive research on this as I too am looking for a similar car I am yet to find a good car most are falling apart as GTO says quality was indeed down the tubes and I have been thinking about a japanese sedan instead not made up my mind yet, but mercs don't seem worth the money being asked and dealers seemed to have snapped them up and are keeping prices artificially up. I wonder who will buy them finally

This one seems not worth it, but if you have your heart set on it and she is being sold by the onwer direct you could push a hard bargain say 7, but be prepared to spend as over the next 30K some of those major service intervals come up.
Old 2nd February 2010, 14:03   #12

@ all: thanks for your worthy advices. Yesterday itself i called my dad and told him not to go for it.

Most probably our new car will be a new Toyota Innova V, 7 seater. Today dealer will bring the car once again and when everything flow smoothly, it will be in our garage by end of May

Once again, thanks a lot guys.
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:19   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Is this a bluish grey car by any chance?
No, dad said its a black one.
Old 2nd February 2010, 20:04   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
but mercs don't seem worth the money being asked
Worth the money? The acquisition price of 10 lakhs is only the downpayment. The real cost of ownership starts after you drive the car home. Monthly repair bills...oops....EMIs anyone?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2010, 11:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

Its sad but what I knew of mercs as a kid and what I see today is disheartening :( I saw myself driving this mark as an adult but the cars in recent years that I thought looked good were bad on qaulity (w210 etc) and the new ones look a little insipide not to mention of where quality is at as these are early days for the w212 etc only time will tell. Never imagined design phylosophy at MB from the 115/123/124 days will come to this today!!

Most Viewed