Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 11:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
If you have 50 lac to spend why are you worrying about low-profile? Get a BMW 5 series dammit!
There are many many people who want to spend big money and enjoy the luxury of premium vehicles, however they don't want to get noticed doing so. It's very understandable, because attracting attention can also result in attracting the wrong attention sometimes.
Old 7th September 2010, 13:36   #47
BHPian

The S80 and the Freelander2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
The Superb is a great option as said by all. If you need to be a bit more outstanding, get the Passat. Might not necessarily justify the premium but then again is rarer than the Superb, spacious and German. Now with the DSG out of the way, it should be more reliable too.
>>> Apologies for going .

But do we have credible reports on the DSG being problematic in the VWs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
There are many many people who want to spend big money and enjoy the luxury of premium vehicles, however they don't want to get noticed doing so. It's very understandable, because attracting attention can also result in attracting the wrong attention sometimes.
>>> Agree. Along with the other criteria, understated & conservative styling, with good proportions will nudge the Volvo S80 ahead. It won't lose significantly to the Germans (BMW, Merc, Audi) in build quality, comfort, ride and features, would possibly top them in safety, but will definitely lose out to them in the handling and 'high speed cornering composure' departments.

As akshay1234 correctly pointed out, given all the criteria and the budget consideration, apart from the

i. S80 D5 and
ii. the S80 D5 (AWD),

the other cars in contention will be the
iii. E250 CDI Blue Efficiency, and perhaps the
iv. A6 2.7 TDI

The Bimmer 5 bows out due to the less than cosseting ride & comfort & space at the rear.

I think the Nissan Teanna will bow out because of the question marks on the a**, primarily because of the perception that Nissan is not focussed on its high end models, than the actual a** record perhaps.

I think one "car" which can be considered is the Freelander 2; although it is an SUV, but it is car like in its behaviour. It is within the budget also. Separately, it might be assembled in India early next year and so might be about Rs 30l on road, ref., AutoCar India September edition.

In any case detailed research and comprehensive test drives should be done for the prospective buyer to arrive at a decision to be comfortable with.This seems to be a long term buy ( ~ 100k kms).

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 7th September 2010 at 13:39. Reason: Corrected and modified the post
Old 7th September 2010, 18:57   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post

The Bimmer 5 bows out due to the less than cosseting ride & comfort & space at the rear.

Regards
Issigonis,

I'm sure the new 5 Series is comfortable enough and very spacious at the back. In fact, it comes very close to offering Mercedes Benz E's 'carpet-ride-feel'. You might be able to make out the difference between the E and the 5 in terms of ride comfort but the difference would be marginal IMO.

BMWs are known to have stiffer and sportier ride-settings, but you need to really nit-pick for that.

The S80 would be just right. The next best thing would be the Audi A6, but given Audi's below-par after sales and service back up in the country, it may not be the wisest option. I'm not sure about Volvo's after-sales-service back-up though!
Old 29th December 2010, 17:30   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Executive Car for Dad

So Kida, what did you get finally for your Dad?
Old 6th November 2012, 16:17   #50

Finally got him a 2012 VW Passat Highline..
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:35   #51
BHPian

Actually if you want a low-profile Swedish beauty, and don't mind spending up to 50L, then I'll recommend the Volvo s80 3.2 petrol or the top end AWD.

You even get a refrigerator at the back, rear entertainment system with wireless headphones, the joy of V6/V8, the comfort of genuine leather seats, and just about everything that you can demand.

It's extremely spacious and comfortable, and has almost a similar interior lighting system as that of a Jag XF.

Just take a TD of the s80 and I'm sure you'll disagree with most of the people who've got a wrong notion that s80 is worthless!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks