Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 18:48   #1

Executive Car for Dad

I have a lovely job in hand to find the next car for my dad , but the only irritating factor are the terms and conditions of his.. Firstly let me brief you about our current car, its a 4 and a half year old Toyota Camry chauffeur driven 1,15,000 kms done. His daily journey to office and back is about 90-100 kms.
Traffic within mumbai , but once out of mumbai smooth n fast on the highways.

He never drives himself , we have the same driver for the last 28 years!!

His long list of Terms and conditions :-
1. He wants to move on to European cars
2. Cars which are low profile ( Lay man should not know the real cost )
3. Good mileage
4. Good suspensions
5. Diesel preferred
6. Good after sales
7. 5 seater

Budget is anywhere between 25-50 Lac

A lil help
Old 6th February 2010, 18:59   #2
BHPian

If it wasn't for Term 6, i would've recommended the Superb, but for its PD. Why not take a look at the VW, Jetta or the Passat Crdi?
Old 6th February 2010, 19:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
If it wasn't for Term 6, i would've recommended the Superb, but for its PD. Why not take a look at the VW, Jetta or the Passat Crdi?
The rear seats of the Jetta and Passat are not comfortable .. We both are nealry 6 feet and well built .. Shoulder to Shoulder distance is a problem ..
Secondly he dislikes the front seat ..
Old 6th February 2010, 19:12   #4
BHPian

I don't quite get point 2.
I think in todays world all the janta knows the prices of merc's, bmw's and audis.
The only car i can think of whose price can't be guessed by a lay man will probably be the volvo s80 or a teanna.
Old 6th February 2010, 19:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest a Mercedes E class. I think recently they launched a E250CDI and E350 CDI, both should be under 50 lacs. Apart from your point 2, everything else is pretty much covered.

The secondary option would be to go for superb, passat. but in that case, you miss point 6.

very confusing and hard to find that satisfies all the points.
Old 6th February 2010, 19:13   #6
BHPian

Have a look at the Nissan.

If the after sales network in Mumbai is good and you do not want laymen to know the price of the car then get hold of Nissan. I am sure Laymen would not know which car it is.

By the way how are going to spend about 50 lakhs and not expect Laymen to know that you are in the higher income group.

Extremely difficult requirements to full fill. By the way what do you term as Laymen.

http://www.indiacar.com/techspec1.as...pes=Luxury&fn=

Last edited by drpullockaran : 6th February 2010 at 19:17.
Old 6th February 2010, 19:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I don't quite get point 2.
I think in todays world all the janta knows the prices of merc's, bmw's and audis.
The only car i can think of whose price can't be guessed by a lay man will probably be the volvo s80 or a teanna.
Trust me even i dont get the point . Hes lil orthodox. Its ok.
Yes volvo s80 and teanna both are options. But i dont have the heart to invest in either. Worried about Service and performance ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If the after sales network in Mumbai is good and you do not want laymen to know the price of the car then get hold of Nissan. I am sure Laymen would not know which car it is.

By the way how are going to spend about 50 lakhs and not expect Laymen to know that you are in the higher income group.

Extremely difficult requirements to full fill. By the way what do you term as Laymen.

Teana 250 XV - NISSAN INDIA. Technical Specifications
Laymen - His employees , workers, competitors , people working for his clients !!

If it were me i would simply not worry about the world .. But hes seen a lot more than me.. He being such a terror , i find it very difficult to convince him not to worry about these people ..

Which cars should i short list ? On an average till now we have used the car for 80,000 to 1,00,000 kilometrs .. So which car wont give us a headache and also if it gives would not burn a hole in thw pockets ..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th February 2010 at 15:54. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 6th February 2010, 19:46   #8
Team-BHP Support

since you want to keep a low profile and get a european car there are only 2 options that you have. the first is the volvo s80, it is the lowest, of low profile expensive cars. lol. the 2nd is the audi a6, which is a brilliant car. but i doubt the 3.0tdi will be available in 50lacs, the 2.7tdi is what you should look at.
Old 6th February 2010, 21:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Accord,Mitubishi Outlander,New Camry,Audi
Old 6th February 2010, 22:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

if he wants simple car means, BMW and MERC are out.

The Audi will again will be in list of POSH cars.S80 is the one. but now a days, people recognize the Volvo brand as well.

Or a take a chance and go ahead with Skoda Superb!

PS:Convince him for new Merc with blue efficiency engine
Old 7th February 2010, 10:43   #11

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rned-year.html

Oh My God , this thread saved my 25 lacs for sure ! Skoda Superb is definitely out !
Is there any showroom dependable that i Can blindly buy from ?

I love the Bmw 5 series , the owner of Navnit Motors is a dear friend , so no doubt about after sale services . But the Run flat tyres and the ride quality turn me off completely.
Is it worth waiting for the 2010 5 series , will the ride be any better ?

On the other hand , he also told me that Audi once in the garage burns a big hole in your pockets. I really like the Audi A6 2.7 tdi .. But dislike the pearl leds ( single line ) unlike the A4 Leds ..

Last but not the least , the mercedes E class 250 Cdi is an absolute peach !
The previous Gen E had a lot of electrical problems and service at Autohangar was not upto the mark too ( A friend owns an E 220 and was unhappy and now wants a beamer in exhchange ) Am not sure how many problems will come up in the New E class ..
Old 7th February 2010, 11:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

I'd recommend the following -

* My Pick * Toyota Fortuner - Absolute VFM SUV, Diesel, Practical & 5 seats.

Mercedes C Class - About 30 Lacs, not a 5 seater, confortably seats 4.

Skoda Superb - If not for the After Sales which have a few examples of unsatisfied customers, I'd go for it eyes closed as it's a lot of car for the money.

There is not much apart from this.

Give the 3 series corporate edition a look and at about 25 lacs ex showrrom the cheapest beemer in India.
Old 7th February 2010, 11:34   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I'd recommend the following -

* My Pick * Toyota Fortuner - Absolute VFM SUV, Diesel, Practical & 5 seats.

Mercedes C Class - About 30 Lacs, not a 5 seater, confortably seats 4.

Skoda Superb - If not for the After Sales which have a few examples of unsatisfied customers, I'd go for it eyes closed as it's a lot of car for the money.

There is not much apart from this.

Give the 3 series corporate edition a look and at about 25 lacs ex showrrom the cheapest beemer in India.
just my opinion, but if a person has a 50 lac budget and space is one of the criterias, why would anyone choose the c class or the 3 over the a4. both are much smaller in comparison.
Old 7th February 2010, 12:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
just my opinion, but if a person has a 50 lac budget and space is one of the criterias, why would anyone choose the c class or the 3 over the a4. both are much smaller in comparison.

Another thing with Fortuner is the long waiting period and i heard that its built on similar or same platform as the innova. But my neighbour experienced that if hes the only person in the rear seat , the car jumps a lot .. He has to sit ahead unfortunately ..

i dont know if you guys share the same view ?
Old 7th February 2010, 13:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

<quote>
"2. Cars which are low profile ( Lay man should not know the real cost )"
</quote>

That sounds too familiar to me :-)

All your requirements combined with #2 makes it just one car: Skoda Superb! Even international press has extremely positive things to say about Superb. You just have to pick the right dealer and JMD@Mumbai has good feedback on this forum.

IMHO, Skoda maintenance costs are also getting lower with time based my Laura L&K ownership. They used to fill synthetic oil @ Rs900 per liter till recently. During last week's service I was charged Rs600/lit. They are also recommending longer service intervals. Similarly my first set of brake pads were Rs.3100 per two wheels. But the last brake pad set cost me Rs2200 per two wheels. Other costs before 12.5% VAT:
oil filter (Rs315), air filter (Rs635), pollen filter (Rs397), diesel filter (Rs.1114). I have had a glitch free ownership for the past 2.5+ years.

Superb offers "low-profile" german experience that is affordable but still on-par with "high-profile" cars. It definitely deserves a test-drive to compare with other options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks