Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2010, 16:39   #1
BHPian

BMW Aficionado - 520d : Buy now or Wait

Hello ppl,

I can barely write this up as I inch closer from being a BMW aficionado to a BMW owner. Nervous heart, trembling fingers, and a decision to make. Who should I call on to steady me up - Team BHP, of course!

Over the past few days, I have visited the local dealer and I must say some of the staff has been surprised by my child like enthusiasm (Mind You, I am not very old, either!). Another thing what must have surprised by is the level of knowledge about the cars I tested seemed to outrun sales executives wit (Thank You, Team BHP!).

Initially, I tested BMW 320d Highline and being my first BMW test, I came away obviously elated and not able to find any fault. But, when I pondered further, somehow I couldn't justify myself into purchase. Heart swooned but head disagreed and to tell you the truth, being my most expensive purchase ever, I just couldn't bring myself to put pen to paper.

It is then that I got to know through this forum about the Corporate Edition 320d. This is something that made logic to my head instantly and this time it was head taking control over the proceeding. But, this time around, heart didn't agree. This was a brilliant car with exactly the same engines, looks, et all but once again my first BMW purchase can't be the stripped down version. After all, I don't know when I'll be able to lay my hand on another bimmer.

And then it struck me. On my third visit, confused as ever, I was just feasting my eyes on all the bimmers when I saw something that made both my head and heart swing. A BMW 520d. It just seemed perfect. Once again I was at loss to find any fault and quickly enquired on the availability when the bomb struck and which is why I come here to the gurus for help.

Only colours offered to me are Titanium Silver and Monaco Blue. I was really hoping for Alpine White. Dealer says that 5 series in its current avatar stands to be discontinued soon and company was just liquidating existing stock and hence I would have to choose only from the selection. Now, I obviously know that new 5 series is just around the corner and hence somehow justifies the statement of dealer. He also informed me that new 520d will only be made available in months of October/November since initially company is interested in launching only petrol variants. Schucks!!! I need my BMW now, NOW.

Here is the thing, I am excited and can't think sensibly. You people advise.

Secondly, the cars on offer have both got Black interiors when I was hoping for Natural Brown interior. Double Schucks!!!

As for the deal, Dealer has offered a cash discount of 3L and no more. Is it worth while???

Other concerns that I seem to have is whether to opt for following things:
1. BMW Secure
2. BMW Maintenance

Finally, the most controversial of all things, Run Flat tyres. Should I keep them or should I exchange them. I have gone through this forum and it seems to be the case that while they are safer, they also hamper the ride quality.

Also, all the previous owners, could you guide me on further freebies that I may include in the deal. Sahil, I would need your help here. You seem to have got 'Lights package' add-on as a freebie. Should I be adamant for the same too. Is it really worth it? What other things must I keep in mind before finalising the deal???

Help, People, Help!

(PS: Please don't suggest Audi / Mercedes. They are all good in their own terms but here, It has to be a bimmer )
Old 4th March 2010, 18:06   #2
BHPian

I would check with dealers from other states to confirm what your dealer has told you.
Just a choice of 2 colours only available sounds fishy.
The dealer probably has some stock that he wants to liquidate and is giving you a story. No doubt the new 5 will be coming soon, but BMW are selling the 520D extremely well and it just sounds wrong that they have discontinued production so early?

Just take a deep breath, phone around the other dealers and if they sing the same song, you know your local dealer is giving you a good deal. Otherwise you can haggle harder or choose the choice of colour that you actually want. Remember that this is a long term purchase and you as the buyer shouldn't have to make compromises!
Old 4th March 2010, 18:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

hey why not see if you can get a fat discount on the 530d too? they sell less than the 520d and you might just manage a pretty good deal on that too.
Old 4th March 2010, 19:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Just take a deep breath, phone around the other dealers and if they sing the same song, you know your local dealer is giving you a good deal. Otherwise you can haggle harder or choose the choice of colour that you actually want. Remember that this is a long term purchase and you as the buyer shouldn't have to make compromises!
I have contacted other dealers and am awaiting response. It just seems that no matter how exclusive (It is still exclusive, Isn't it!!!) a product you buy these days, you end up making some excuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
hey why not see if you can get a fat discount on the 530d too? they sell less than the 520d and you might just manage a pretty good deal on that too.
Yup, 530d is brilliant and the extent of discount is greater but even 520d stretches our budget way too much and 530d would just make my dad's head go kaput and put the entire deal in jeopardy.
Old 4th March 2010, 20:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

hi akhilesh,congrats for going for a new bimmer.I am still light years away from doing that!However you mentioned that the you coudnt bring yourself to buy the BMW 320d.why so?Did you think it was too expensive for the features and the package offered?

Also i guess in the 520d you will get the previous generation idrive with smaller screen.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

If I may ask what is the discount going on the 530d in Bombay ?? A friend has been looking for a used example vs the E 280 CDI, hence the question. It may give me handle on what to pay for a used car !

Thanks
Old 4th March 2010, 21:48   #7
BHPian

My recommendation would be to wait for the F10 model.

Look at it this way: You have waited so long - what's a few months more? You will get something that is a better product (Atleast on paper for now).

Also I am presuming that this will be a long term keeper wouldn't you would want to gave the latest model in your garage for the longest time (From a spares and service point of view)?

Either way good luck with your decision.

Cheers,
V

Last edited by vcash : 4th March 2010 at 21:49.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:54   #8
BHPian

go for it mate...520D is a great car ( although I upgraded to 530D Highline ). There are great discounts on 520D due to Fiscal year closing - I am estimating 3-4 lacs easily. PM me and I will hook you up with my friend who works at BMW Studio in Delhi and who always hooks up me with great deals.

F10 will take a year to come and that too they wont launch the 520D version immediately. Last I heard there were two variants coming out first 530D and 530i.

Let me know.
Old 4th March 2010, 23:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
hi akhilesh,congrats for going for a new bimmer.I am still light years away from doing that!However you mentioned that the you coudnt bring yourself to buy the BMW 320d.why so?Did you think it was too expensive for the features and the package offered?

Also i guess in the 520d you will get the previous generation idrive with smaller screen.
I dunno with 320d Corporate, I was getting less features and space compared to even VW Jetta. So, I knew how much it would have hurt for someone to point it out. On the other hand Highline, it was all to do with rear space. As I mentioned, this being my most expensive buy, it just had to atleast match its lesser garage sharers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
My recommendation would be to wait for the F10 model.

Look at it this way: You have waited so long - what's a few months more? You will get something that is a better product (Atleast on paper for now).

Also I am presuming that this will be a long term keeper wouldn't you would want to gave the latest model in your garage for the longest time (From a spares and service point of view)?

Either way good luck with your decision.

Cheers,
V
Hey,

I know time and again sense does prevail and advise the same but what about the kid in me. Its like the christmas gift that you know is in house but you can't open it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
go for it mate...520D is a great car ( although I upgraded to 530D Highline ). There are great discounts on 520D due to Fiscal year closing - I am estimating 3-4 lacs easily. PM me and I will hook you up with my friend who works at BMW Studio in Delhi and who always hooks up me with great deals.

F10 will take a year to come and that too they wont launch the 520D version immediately. Last I heard there were two variants coming out first 530D and 530i.

Let me know.
p'med you, buddy. I must thank you for taking interest.
Old 5th March 2010, 00:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ah, all those crazy annoying-as-hell questions that have been swirling around in my mind for the past one month !! Nothing short of haunting, infact. Finally you have to take a call and go ahead.

And in our case, practicality won i.e. CorpEd. Stripped down or not, it makes immense sense. Frontal impact? Xenons are much more expensive to replace than normal headlamps. Coconuts have fallen on my Corolla in its illustrious career. Dent work would be minor, but a smashed sunroof? Riiiight. No electric seats, fantastic. Lesser troublesome electric motors with a possible chance of failure. Only thing I wanted was iDrive, but dad didn't want it, so Corp Ed it was. BTW, I saw my CorpEd at the stockyard for the first time ever today, and whatttt a moment it was! It felt no less a Beemer. And I won't give a flying fart if someone points out my seats are partially manual adjusting. They can burn in their electric seats when I incinerate them with 177bhp and 350NM out of a 2.0 Diesel.

I suggest if you want a diesel only, then the 520d is a killer buy. Fat discount will work towards you, and I don't expect the F10 diesels to come before 2011, frankly. Think about it. July, the first 10-15 CBU's will be here, and October the production models will start selling. All 535i's, maybe a 530d / 535d. Do you really expect BMW to bring out the economy 520d right at the beginning while building its F10 brand? I doubt it. SO be prepared to wait for March '10 or more (IMO) if you want the new 520d. Else, current model is good.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 5th March 2010 at 00:53.
Old 5th March 2010, 01:31   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Can you stretch your budget to buy the new 520d whenever it gets launched? It would be around 40 ex-showroom or so by then. If yes then wait!

If not then jump on this or else you will land up buying a 3 series once all the e60s are liquidated. In that case the current 520d is a far better buy. Discount wise you can defiantly get more as I got close to what you are last March when the 520d was newer. There is no better time to buy this car as its ending its life plus if you seal the deal this month you can take advantage of the dealers greed of boosting his balance sheet due to the financial year-end. Shop around, even call dealers in other cities to haggle.

Defiantly get the BSI, don't waste money on the secure. Also most dealers are willing to switch your run flats for premium tubeless at no cost.
Old 5th March 2010, 15:40   #12

I'm practically in the same boat - can't decide between getting a 520d today or waiting for the F10.

One thing I know is that even if I get the 520d today, as soon as the F10 is available, I will get the bug to upgrade!

Also, I don't think BMW can afford to delay the launch of the F10 520d for too long since MB has already introduced the 250cdi variant (at around 38-39 ex-showroom) and I would think that the smaller engines sell better. If I'm not mistaken BMW has introduced all engines simultaneously in the UK market.

But thinking aloud, is it possible to buy the 520d today at 15% discount (say 30-33 exshowroom), use it for a year and then sell the car for roughly same amount? Aren't 1 year old used cars usually valued at on-road less 15%? If anyone has any helpful insight, that would be appreciated!
Old 5th March 2010, 16:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparton View Post
But thinking aloud, is it possible to buy the 520d today at 15% discount (say 30-33 exshowroom)...
1. You're over-estimating the discount.

Quote:
...use it for a year and then sell the car for roughly same amount? Aren't 1 year old used cars usually valued at on-road less 15%? If anyone has any helpful insight, that would be appreciated!
2. Not really. Resale of the E60 will plummet at the launch of the F10.
Old 6th March 2010, 13:53   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
As for the deal, Dealer has offered a cash discount of 3L and no more. Is it worth while???
Production of the current gen 5 series has stopped. I've seen discounts on the 530d going as high as 7 lakhs

Suggestion : Skip the 520d, screen through the inventory of all BMW dealers (nationwide) and find yourself a 530d for not-so-much-more money. Drive it back to your home state and register the car yourself.
Old 6th March 2010, 16:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Good way to start enjoying the car by driving long distance, if I were dropping 30 to 50 lacs on a 5 I would wait for the new 5 and buy it from anyone who could give the fasted delivery and drive it down .

Most Viewed