Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 00:27   #16
BHPian

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was out of town for the weekend so didn't get to access this forum.

Based on the replies, the advice seems to be pointing towards a face off between the E-Class and the new 5-series (unless there is an unreal discount on the outgoing 5 series).

In terms of some of the questions people asked. The chauffeur/self driven aspect is going to be a 50-50 split. At times it will be chauffeur driven, like when my dad is off to work and at all other times, he would love to drive it.

As for brand image, volvo is definitely out. The Audi A6 seems to most drab of the lot and will probably not be considered finally.

So between the E-Class and the new 5 series, a couple of things. The parents are against a 3 pointed star for some reason, they say it attracts the wrong kind of attention. I'm a BMW fan myself (having gotten the opportunity to intern there for a couple of months) and I would push for that more just for the driving pleasure.

Between the outgoing 5 series and the new one, what are the main differences? In particular, I want to know about things like the interior space and the comfort, if the new one is significantly better or is the old just as good. I actually like the look of the outgoing model because it has some real character while the new one looks like a mash up between the 7 and the 3.

Thanks again for all the responses. Should be test driving the old 5-series sometime this week and will make it a point to ask about when the new one is coming out. Any more advice is definitely appreciated.
Old 31st March 2010, 22:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

adithyav,

I'll answer a few questions based on my opinion. The main differences between the outgoing 5 and the new are pretty huge, Firstly, and i'm sure you are aware it's a whole new generation of a sedan from BMW which means they have been putting a lot of efforts into the R&D which translates not into a better car but also a more efficient package in terms of better refinement etc.

Also the quality of the new car is really top notch considering a lot of parts are from the new 7, which says quite a lot. In terms of interior space I've heard mix reviews where some say while the car is more spacious from the inside it feels a little cramped but then I believe that is due to the styling of the dash etc. which is now slightly tilted towards the driver, but when you talk of seat comfort I'm sure this will be a little better then the E60.

Coming to some unique features, well the new 5 has a lot of new options from the 7 and depending on how BMW India configure the Indian spec car you can expect a lot of new features like side cameras / HUD / better night vision (but all this depends on how the car is loaded for India, but considering BMW in the previous 5 had night vision on few models they might wanna do something unique this time too)

Talking about the new 5 in terms of how it looks, well while looks are subjective I can assure you when you see it in person it will blow your minds away, and it has one of the finest backsides of any car ever made.

About the new one's release my dealer here keeps saying late april / early may for the 535i but then recently on economictimes.com there was an article saying it will be launched in July.

Regards,
Old 1st April 2010, 12:35   #18
BHPian

Recently, I had asked a similar question on TBHP for a friend. The answer I got was E class..!! So, I think that would be the prominent answer here too!!

IMO, the only reason people ain't fine with the current 5 series is because it is an Outgoing model. Technically, there isn't any problems with the Outgoing model. If BMW is ready to negotiate on the price, I would suggest 5 series all the way.
Old 1st April 2010, 13:47   #19
BHPian

If the decision is between the new E class and old 5 series, then answer is definitely the new E class. IF its between new E and new 5, Then 5 series all the way!!
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:33   #20
BHPian

Get the new E. Best in class comfort at the moment in the market.
Old 4th April 2010, 20:05   #21
BHPian

Updates --

We test drove the A6, 520d, X5 and also got a look at the Q7. The E-Class is not an option anymore and neither is the volvo.

The issue now is this.
Between the A6 and the 5 series. The A6 seems more spacious and somewhat more loaded with gizmos. The 520d has great driver dynamics and is coming at an awesome price of about 34 odd on road.

Enter the new challenger though. The Q7 is a fantastic car and my dad loves it. He's even willing to sell our existing SUV (year 2000 Prado 3.0) and pick it up. We also liked it much better than the X5 simply because of the space and the comfort and the fact that its a 'better' 7 seater. But, but but...the Q7 3.0 which is in our budget is also no longer available in the market (it is being replaced by the 4.2). The only one we've found is a dealer owned test drive vehicle which is being offered to us at 20% or so lower than the on-road of 59lacs. The overall price (after swapping the Prado) comes to an incredible 30 lacs.

so my questions are now the following

1. Between the A6 and the 520d (outgoing model) -- what are the pros and cons according to all of you here? Which one would you suggest for a car for 4 to 5 people that is 50% chauffeur driven.

2. Does anyone know what the ground clearance of an Audi A6 is? Also, owners of the 5-series or the A6, is the ground clearance an issue in terms of speed breakers and potholes?

3. The Q7 seems somewhat bigger than an A6 in terms of space and the sheer value on offer is immense but there are a couple of worries. First, how safe is it to go for a dealer owned test drive vehicle (with 15k km on the clock)? Second, is it worth it to get rid of the old Prado for this?

I'd appreciate any answers or suggestions that people have for this. Thanks a lot once again, your replies have been awesomely helpful.

Last edited by adithyav : 4th April 2010 at 20:11.
Old 4th April 2010, 20:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

IF you are OK with the sheer size = huge road presence of the Q7, there is no match to it, be it E class, 5 Series, Volvo S80 or the A6.

The A6 can be got at a good (read huge discounts) in the aftermarket. A friend's car done 17K went for 25L & it was BRAND NEW. Such deals are easy to find.

Visit your Audi / BMW dealer with your cheque book & watch what happens. If you want any help with Audi let me know.

A friend has a Q7 which he is replacing with the Cayenne Diesel. It has done about 7k. That would be a deal. It is PURRRRFECT in all respects. Let me know if that is of interest.

Happy hunting / Happy buying

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 4th April 2010 at 20:25.
Old 4th April 2010, 21:28   #23
BHPian

Size of the Q7 is not an issue considering we've managed a beast of a car in the Prado already. Slightly bigger car is no issue at all.
Old 12th April 2010, 00:56   #24
BHPian

Ok everyone,

Decision has been made

We test drove the A6, the old 5-series, the E Class, the used Q7 and an X5.

it finally came down to the A6 and the outgoing 5-series and the A6 won out because it is much more comfortable (especially in the rear seat) and it is a newer car as it was launched much more recently compared to the beemer. The A6 seemed to have even more room than the E-Class surprisingly.

So the booking has been made for a Phantom Black A6 -- we decided against a luxury package as we felt it didn't offer much. We should be getting the car by about the 25th or 26th of April.

Thanks for the advice once again everyone. Will try and post pictures soon.
Old 12th April 2010, 01:00   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyav View Post
Ok everyone,

Decision has been made

We test drove the A6, the old 5-series, the E Class, the used Q7 and an X5.

it finally came down to the A6 and the outgoing 5-series and the A6 won out because it is much more comfortable (especially in the rear seat) and it is a newer car as it was launched much more recently compared to the beemer. The A6 seemed to have even more room than the E-Class surprisingly.

So the booking has been made for a Phantom Black A6 -- we decided against a luxury package as we felt it didn't offer much. We should be getting the car by about the 25th or 26th of April.

Thanks for the advice once again everyone. Will try and post pictures soon.
please tell me its the 3.0tdi or the 3.0tfsi
Old 12th April 2010, 01:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Advance Congrats on your new purchase buddy. Is it 2.7 or 3.0?
Old 12th April 2010, 09:26   #27
BHPian

Have a feeling he went in for the 2.7. It is being given away at some really mouth watering prices.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:39   #28
BHPian

Good call redeff -- We did end up going for the 2.7. We got to test drive the 3.0 and the 2.7 TDi and honestly, my dad didn't feel like we'd be doing justice to the 3.0 within the NCR. Plus the 2.7 is being offered at 37 lacs or something ex showroom which is a ridiculously good bargain.
Old 12th April 2010, 16:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Wow, congratulations !! It's a good looker in black too, like it's wearing a sharp tux Waiting for pictures. ou must be going crazy waiting. I do.
Old 12th April 2010, 21:57   #30
BHPian

It's going to tax your driver to wash it and keep it smudge free in black though. That apart the A6 looks killer in black.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks