Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 22:29   #16
BHPian

IMO you should get the Fortuner. A SUV is a SUV. Even if you buy the Beemer right now, probably two months down the line you will feel the need of a SUV. The sheer road presence (size wise) and driving 'akad' of a SUV can't be replaced by any sedan.
Plus about the break problem in the Fortuner, I am quite sure they have been replaced by bigger ones. Dont remember the thread as of now.
Old 31st March 2010, 22:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

If you do a lot of high speed highway driving, get a sedan. A BMW will be a safer bet than the Skoda in terms of playing safe with a.s.s. . You also need to be sure that if you travel a bit with you family in the Beemer, you would need space.

Why not a Jetta? I love the looks of it and now you have better engine options.

Also, why not save the money you want to spend for the BMW ( you also have that great nice deal corporate edition now) and get a Superb ?

+1 to akshay. You can scare away even a Beemer when you are in an SUV.

Last edited by jkdas : 31st March 2010 at 22:45.
Old 31st March 2010, 23:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well the corporate edition is basically a slightly stripped down 3 series.

And I dont know why you get this impression that there is less space in the Beemer, there is more than enough space. I am 6' 3" and I could sit quite comfortably
Old 1st April 2010, 00:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Thanks lot for your advices.

Considering the Braking issues of the Fortuner, Can we solve it by getting some after market stopping aids(read Brembos or whatever)? And jk(jk_das) did advice me to get a Pete tune for the Fortuner(200bhp?). So can look into that too, Peter also can arrange some good springs and goodies if wanted.

The wait still bothers me.

For the 3, Space still stands a 'BIG' issue.

Laura, Lets keep it aside for a while and talk about the rest 2.

Can you guys tell me what the 'Corporate edition' does to the 3 ?

Thanks Abhi for your valuable advice as you own both in my list(3&Fortuner). Appreciate it !
I have not had any braking issues with the Fortuner and none of my friends and people i know who own it have had issues. The car for its size and power has more than addiquite braking.

As for the Pete box you can do it but i would not advice it. I can put you in touch with a friend who does remapping and this helps without any additions to the car. The warrenty also is not hampered as even in the service it is not detected. There are loads of things you can do to the fortuner. Take a trip to Thailand and you would be a child in a candy store.

I am 5'11 and if i am not in the drivers seat or in the navigators seat with no one in the back i am ok, but if i have to take four then i am tight for space. So i really dont know how guys who are 6" plus say they are fine with the space. After the endy the 3 will feel like a matchbox.

The corporate edition takes out some of the goodies from the car. No I drive, no paddles (325i comes with it), no electric seats i believe. The best person for this would be flyingspur. He has the 320d corporate.

Any time brother i have both the 325i and the fortuner. My vote goes for the Fortuner if family and friends are also traveling with you. If you going to be two people most of the time or not 6" plus people 4 poeple the the 3 series.
Old 1st April 2010, 01:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

The fortuner comes out at around 4.7 M in length, while the 3 comes out around 4.52. However, when you look at wheelbase, the 3 series has 2.76 M as against 2.75 M in the Fortuner.

I have sat in cars that are at 4.3 M or maybe less, and at 6.3, I have decent leg space. So in a car that is 4.5, atleast for me, it is fair enough, even with the seat not pushed fully back.

But again, it is a matter of personal preference. I love both these vehicles and I would have been equally puzzled as to what to choose. But I maybe a bit inclined to the 3 at the end
Old 1st April 2010, 02:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Bah, now i have completely ruled out the Corporate version as the only things that makes my life better when I'm not bothered about the space is the goodies. I'm not even looking for the BL version, If it is 3, it is going to be the 320d HL, or if I can still squeeze some more, the 325i. And some may ask, they why not a 520d. For them - I'm not out there for posers. For me, 5 means the 530d and I completely hate the idea of big car shells fitted with petite engines.

Abhi, Even I didn't feel any kind of squeezed in the 3 when i took the drive. In fact, i enjoyed every moment of it. I know it is pretty dumb to worry, but what catches me is if i hate the carr for that reason in future and for the reason I went for the 3, I'd have to keep it at least for a couple of years.

here is my 320d HL td report - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...hline-tdd.html
Old 1st April 2010, 11:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Abhi, Even I didn't feel any kind of squeezed in the 3 when i took the drive. In fact, i enjoyed every moment of it. I know it is pretty dumb to worry, but what catches me is if i hate the carr for that reason in future and for the reason I went for the 3, I'd have to keep it at least for a couple of years.

here is my 320d HL td report - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...hline-tdd.html
The driver never feels the squeeze my friend, it is the passengers who do.
A test drive and owning is two different thing brother. Test drive is for a few minutes and owning is a couple of years brother. So the wrong choice or any discomfort caused is not going to be cheap or for a few hours. I rather be comfortable then compromise for a few years. In my case the car is for my mother and she is not tall (5"4), we drive the car on sundays or at night, with mainly one more person with me, so the rear legroom does not matter. My mother find the car crammped up too and prefers the corolla rear space to the BMW. In normal circumstances you do have four people in the car and with the seat adjusted the rear passenger if tall then does have his knees touching the backrest of the front seat.

I use the Test drive reports to know the general stuff of a car but i like to check every bit out practically before buying it. The best way to know is adjust the front seat as per your seating and then sit in the rear, you would know exactly how much space there is and how comfortable you are. Sit in the car as it were your own and the way you sit in your car, not uptight as it were someone elses. Seeing the pictures of your brothers i would say they have broad shoulder and with the center armrest down in the rear they would feel bottled in.
Old 5th April 2010, 03:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Buddy, why don't you wait for the BMW X1? It'll priced similar to the 320d CE. In X1, you'll get the driving pleasure of a Bimmer and the space of a SUV.
Old 5th April 2010, 09:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Buddy, why don't you wait for the BMW X1? It'll priced similar to the 320d CE. In X1, you'll get the driving pleasure of a Bimmer and the space of a SUV.

with Anand123's suggestion, you get a Beamer+Space whithin your budget
Old 6th April 2010, 00:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

I've driven everything you're looking at. I'm 6' 1", and I have no issues with my 3. I would not look anywhere else. It's vicious, evil, monstrous and addictive. And nuclear. Go for it.
Old 6th April 2010, 01:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpit View Post
with Anand123's suggestion, you get a Beamer+Space whithin your budget
Thanks guys, But I feel the X1 is(even the X3 is) way too under powered to be a proper SUV(SAV or whatever BMW calls it). As I said, I'm not out there for posers. I want the real deal. I'll be more happy squeezed in a sedan and go somewhere than being in a SUV that goes no where. I'd rather go for the Fortuner, I ain't that Brand conscious when it comes down to getting a fair deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I've driven everything you're looking at. I'm 6' 1", and I have no issues with my 3. I would not look anywhere else. It's vicious, evil, monstrous and addictive. And nuclear. Go for it.
Thanks for letting me know bro, Just breathed a sigh of relief to hear that from a owners mouth. I already got that from abhi, but a second opinion is always welcome. So, there I got it. Thanks again.

As I said, My primary concern is to get fortuner. And got people saying that Toyo is getting the brakes issue sorted pretty soon. I'm ready to give them a while. If it still ain't happening, I'm bimmered the next day. I'm dragging this much because of two reasons.
- I've always been a trucker and love it that way. Big man, Big car thing.
- Planning to buy a bike(super one) too, If BMW comes in, It takes away the budget for the bike.

Last edited by Scorcher : 6th April 2010 at 01:45.
Old 6th April 2010, 02:03   #27
BHPian

Hey,

I would say go for Fortuner. I just loved the ride... for a Tall guy like you it's a perfect choice. The road presence of Fortuner is amazing and specially White color with all black tinted windows.... It's a pleasure to eyes..

However you can't really compare BMW ride with Fortuner as these are 2 all together different machines.

Just checked out Mitsubishi Outlander 2010 on Mitsubishi India website

For 19.90 Ex. Showroom

2.4 Ltr MIVEC, Electronically controlled 4WD, Invecs-III CVT, with 6 speed manual and 6 speed paddle shift

650w Premium Rockford Fosgate sound system with 9 speakers and 25cm dual-voice-coil sub

All in all Sharp lines, MIVEC, Loaded with Technology

I think it deserves a test ride...
Old 6th April 2010, 17:42   #28
BHPian

I would say just go for the Bimmer. I was under a similar confusion but just made the down payment on the 320D CE last week, at 30L, its still VFM. since you are not bothered about the badge value, am not going to say that, its just a mean machine. Am surprised to hear the BMW ad on radio today morning, which went like you drive to travel but in a Bimmer you travel so that you can drive, says it all. I am 6'1 and agree that the person behind me would feel cramped, but then after driving it. I really dont care about the person sitting behind me

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th April 2010 at 17:54. Reason: Please avoid typing like... this... and use proper punctuation instead, Thanks.
Old 7th April 2010, 16:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj_s85 View Post
Hey,

I would say go for Fortuner. I just loved the ride... for a Tall guy like you it's a perfect choice. The road presence of Fortuner is amazing and specially White color with all black tinted windows.... It's a pleasure to eyes..

However you can't really compare BMW ride with Fortuner as these are 2 all together different machines.

Just checked out Mitsubishi Outlander 2010 on Mitsubishi India website

For 19.90 Ex. Showroom

2.4 Ltr MIVEC, Electronically controlled 4WD, Invecs-III CVT, with 6 speed manual and 6 speed paddle shift

650w Premium Rockford Fosgate sound system with 9 speakers and 25cm dual-voice-coil sub

All in all Sharp lines, MIVEC, Loaded with Technology

I think it deserves a test ride...
Thanks bro, But as my cars do frequent Bangalore -Trivandrum trips, I've ruled out the petrols for obvious reasons. Even ruled out the captiva for my bad experiances with chevy as I have a Magnum VGIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contangoback View Post
I would say just go for the Bimmer. I was under a similar confusion but just made the down payment on the 320D CE last week, at 30L, its still VFM. since you are not bothered about the badge value, am not going to say that, its just a mean machine. Am surprised to hear the BMW ad on radio today morning, which went like you drive to travel but in a Bimmer you travel so that you can drive, says it all. I am 6'1 and agree that the person behind me would feel cramped, but then after driving it. I really dont care about the person sitting behind me
I was told that the CE costs less than a passat, If 30L, why are you saving 50k and compromising on the gizmos ? Actually, I haven't personally enquired about the CE price. But in my state, the 320HL retails for some 32 OTR.

And no, I don't prefer being chauffeur driven, Im always at the wheel. So back seat space is hardly an issue.

OT - even I was surprised to see BMW advert('We make Joy' one) when I went for a movie last day. They know to sell their goods !
Old 7th April 2010, 19:38   #30
BHPian

The BMW 320d CE costs 28.53L OTR in Mumbai (Individual registration - Thane is a lac cheaper) + Add the secure for 55k and BSI Ultimate 142k makes it approx 30.5L OTR. The 320d Highline is almost 39-40L OTR. 9-10L for the gizmos is a bit too much when the driving pleasure is the same. The above is at old prices - prior to 31Mar10. Post 01Apr10, its INR 50k more on the showroom price.

I bought the Bimmer coz:-
1.TD was awesome
2.Team BHP review by FS, Sahil etc were convincing
3.and ofcourse, the ads make you all emotional. They are really serious when they talk about JOY.

I had almost booked the accord and was eyeing the Fortuner - but the snootiness of the salesguy at Lakozy (MUmbai dealer of Toyota) put me off. I found the interiors a tad bit similar to Innova and of-course the manual transmission was a no-no especially in Mumbai. I do 60kms daily just home to office and back thrice a week and 2 days (with meetings) its 100 kms per day. Lastly the demand of an upfront INR 1-1.5 lacs just to get in the queue and wait 5-8 months made me just walk out. I must admit that the TD (although with lot of restrictions only on a lonely stretch behind the showroom) was great in terms of driving the truck. He refused to allow taking it on the road.

Secondly, after TDing the 320D, I drove the Accord again and it felt powerless, although my folks loved it for the space.

Anyways, i just completed the loan formalities and made the remaining downpayment today. Will hopefully get the delivery in 6-7 days. For all the number obsessed, Andheri opened a new series last week MH-02-BY-**** and most numbers are available (official receipt of INR 5k to 65k from RTO + 2000 cash)

I am buying this through Navnit and my experience has been extremely nice right from thought to finish.

Most Viewed