Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 18:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner or 320d HL or Laura2.0(and Pete it out)? Confused Bigtime !

Hey guys,
I'm in search for my new gf. Was in a serious relationship with a Endy2.5 XLT from end side 07, Until I lost her in a recent mishap and I'm left car less. Have some sedans and hatches in home but me being a 6+footer feel claustrophobic in those and prefer a Big car(read SUV). Even before loosing my endy, I've been planning on getting a Fortuner. So now, My primary desire is to get one, but on seeing the skeptical dates of delivery(4-5 months wait) and fear of making it a blocked investment, is keeping me away from placing a order. I'm specific on the color of the Fortuner to be white. That means, even more waiting period as it is the color on highest demand.

After seeing my friends Auto Show in T.v my dad is told me in a playful manner if we should slightly extend the budget and get a Bimmer 3. Initially I too smiled it off, but later i thought "Why Not?". Got a tonne more Character, Brand Value and the pride owning a BMW(Just for the record, I'm the biggest Lambo and Bimmer fan alive). But again the idea of squeezing me into a tight space disturbed me. I have already driven the 3 but it was more a fun drive than to analyze the car on my buying criterias. So I took a td from BMW Kochi, the car literally blew me away(Will explain more on a Drive Report). There I stand more confused !

Had a chat in fb with Jerry(jerish666), I asked him to put and end to the confusion and help me pick a car. He went a step ahead and added more to the already Mixed-Car Jam. He recommended to get a Laura 2L and get it Fully Peted, which too sounded 'Slurp' to me as I have driven the 220hp 1.8L Laura(Pre FL) belonging to Peter himself. And really liked the Idea of a Sleeper Monster. There I stand, even more Confused !!!

So, help me out to end up with a good choice.

Last edited by Scorcher : 30th March 2010 at 18:40.
Old 30th March 2010, 18:48   #2
BHPian

If you are such a big BMW fan, there should be no confusion at all. Go ahead and get the bimmer .
Old 30th March 2010, 19:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Trust me between the Laura and BMW, give it no thought no matter how well you tune the Skoda you still will not be able to match BMW's balance / engine refinement, while it maybe on the higher side in terms of cost do realize it is one of the finest 4 door cars in terms of drive dynamics, a true reflection of what BMW is all about.

So between the 2, I'd say stick to the BMW and then decide between the Fortuner and the BMW.

Regards,
Old 30th March 2010, 19:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'll suggest you to go for a 320d. I dont think a PETEd Laura can provide the excitement that a BMW can give.
Have you driven the Fortuner yet? My friend upgraded to a cFortuner from his Innova and he's not at all satisfied with it. After 2 weeks of driving the Fortuner, he wants to sell it now. Today I got a call from him asking whether the VW Tiguan will be launched soon?
Old 30th March 2010, 20:31   #5
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the 320d. Its absolutely a jewel of a machine and being a BMW fan, I don't think there should be much of a confusion, unless you need lots of space and are looking Fortuner-wards. Being a 6-foot plus myself, I have thoroughly enjoyed driving a 325i. So the 320d wins my vote hands down among the trio you have shortlisted.
Old 30th March 2010, 22:46   #6
BHPian

Go for the 320d !

I'm a 6 footer myself and the 320d is perfect.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:21   #7
BHPian

Isn't the 3 series available in some sort of corporate edition?

I think that would be great value. Or else, go for a pre-loved 325. Plenty in the market. It will put a smile on your face. Wish i could afford 20L, i would buy it in a jiffy.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:28   #8
BHPian

Hey, it should be a 3. Ok, let me confuse you more. The 3 series Highline costs about 30l ex-showroom. Why not skip that and go for a 5 series? Another 5l more but a level higher. Since a new version is just around the corner, you will get great deals.

And BTW, forget the Laura. You can get a Superb in your budget. Take that if you want the gadgets + legroom or if you are mostly chauffeured. My advice is a 5er if possible or a 3er. You can even pete the bimmer

Last edited by prateekm : 31st March 2010 at 00:30.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

You have already driven the 320d and you liked it, so What's stopping you? The Fortuner in comparison might be more rugged but if you love to drive the lacklustre driving experience will surely wont be any close to the BMW. Talking about Laura, its a really nice car but not as good as 320d. The BMW Corporate Edition is every bit worth its price, i'd say its a loot for enthusiasts.
Old 31st March 2010, 00:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

As many have put it here, go for the 320d. Dont waste time and money going for the 3 Series petrols. The D will ensure it will entertain you for the rest of your life

It is a class apart from the Superb and the Fortuner.

However, if you are not looking at brand value, and want an offroader with massive road presence, then go for the Fortuner.

But between the Skoda and the BMW, the choice should never be tough
Old 31st March 2010, 03:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

320d anyday, better brand value, performance is brilliant in stock condition and the classic BM head turns you get.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

If the Bimmer is within your Budget, its a no-brainer to me
Old 31st March 2010, 13:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Vishnu if you feel claustrophobic in the sedans at home then the Bmw 320d will chock you for space and air. It is smaller than both the laura and the Fortuner. Guys have said the BMW diesel is refined yes but what they have not factored in is it is noisey as hell, even the Fortuner sounds like a tractor but it is expected of it. Inside the cabin of both cars you dont get the sound but if your standing outside with the engine running they both do.
Space wise the fortuner and even for the driving pleasure that it gives even though it is a manual you dont feel the strain. The engine tops out at 170kmph and is a smooth and safe drive on even the roughest of terrains. I put my money on the Fortuner if i was in your place brother, especially if i had the Endy previously. BMW only if i wanted the Brand image along with the discomfort it would provide for you. The laura is a big boy but if your used to the Endy then this too would only be able to provide you with top speed the comfort would still lag behind. I also dont know how the service provided by skoda is at your place. Here the guys are bad and i would stay away from them reading and seeing the issues Skoda owners have faced.

My Suggestion is the Fortuner even if there is a wait. At the end you would be happy. Why not try the new Endy With the Auto box. I heard its supposed to be good. You can also look at a Pre owned 530d or if there are good discounts at the BMW showroom due to the model change.

Last edited by speedy : 31st March 2010 at 13:03.
Old 31st March 2010, 15:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thanks lot for your advices.

Considering the Braking issues of the Fortuner, Can we solve it by getting some after market stopping aids(read Brembos or whatever)? And jk(jk_das) did advice me to get a Pete tune for the Fortuner(200bhp?). So can look into that too, Peter also can arrange some good springs and goodies if wanted.

The wait still bothers me.

For the 3, Space still stands a 'BIG' issue.

Laura, Lets keep it aside for a while and talk about the rest 2.

Can you guys tell me what the 'Corporate edition' does to the 3 ?

Thanks Abhi for your valuable advice as you own both in my list(3&Fortuner). Appreciate it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Hey, it should be a 3. Ok, let me confuse you more. The 3 series Highline costs about 30l ex-showroom. Why not skip that and go for a 5 series? Another 5l more but a level higher. Since a new version is just around the corner, you will get great deals.

And BTW, forget the Laura. You can get a Superb in your budget. Take that if you want the gadgets + legroom or if you are mostly chauffeured. My advice is a 5er if possible or a 3er. You can even pete the bimmer
No way dude, Firstly I currently have a budget which would just fit around the 320d HL(otherwise i would have to cancel my R1 plan which is also on cards). Secondly, I'm not in their for posers, I want the real deal, For me, the 5 series means the 530d. Might look into that when I buy a car for my family next time. If now i can extend my budget that much, I'd go for the 325i in a heartbeat.
Old 31st March 2010, 15:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

@ Scorcher

I have not driven any of the car you have mentioned and they are not in my segment either. I would pick a bimmer if I were you. just to confuse you even more, why not 325d? And if you really want a Suv and are not convinced about the Fortuner, why not the Captiva or the Pajero?

Most Viewed