Team-BHP - Infinity G37 vs Audi A4 vs BMW 3 (USA)?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   Infinity G37 vs Audi A4 vs BMW 3 (USA)? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/79562-infinity-g37-vs-audi-a4-vs-bmw-3-usa.html)

Background: I am due to move to the US, Chicago specifically in a couple of weeks and I need help for selecting the right. We are three in no. i.e. me, my wife and my 7 year old son. My budget will be $30K + or - $5K. I have no such preference of going for a new car or buy a pre-owned car.

The choices I have are as follows:
1. Infiniti G37
- Base model or rather price starts from US$ 33, 250 + a few other charges
- 3.7 Litre 328 HP, VVEL V6 Engine, 269@5200 RPM, 7 Speed A/T
- $ 33,250 + $865 (Destination charges)

2. Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
- Quattro Premium Model
- 2.0 Litre 211 HP FSI engine, 258@1500 - 4200 RPM, 6 Speed A/T
- $ 33,550 + $825 (Destination charges)

3. 2010 BMW 3 series 328i
- Intermediate model
- 3.0 Litre 230 HP DI engine, 200@2750 RPM, 6 Speed A/T
- $ 33,150 + $875 (Destination charges)

My heart says go for G37 at this moment, fell in love with the G35 the first time I saw it way back in 2005 and also took a drive in it, it's awesome. Dreaming of owning one ever since, well I do think my time has come but confusions have set in, for I've heard G37 does not have comfy rear seats, high fuel consumption, resale is so so and referring to GTO's thread i.e. buying G37 for his sister in the US, I see the mention of pre-owned cars available for a good deal.

So request TBHP to help me decide which one to go for.please:

Anarchist,

First & foremost, you must screen through my sister's thread completely. Now, since she isn't a car person, and wanted a zero-nonsense purchase, the Infinity G37 won.

However, for petrolheads, the used car market in the States totally rocks! Especially after the recent recession, there's a ton of barely used pretty cars going for a song. I would highly recommend you to consider used. In fact, if security is a priority, you could buy a
"certified used car" with warranty. Considering the Chicago winters, you'd better look at AWD (or FWD) cars. RWD can become a handful (or fun, depending on how you look at it :)). Within your budget, you could buy a pre-worshipped

S550 / E550 (high on luxury)
BMW 330i AWD (TOP choice) or 535 (both xi)

I can't think of a better place to buy pre-worshipped cars than the United States. The largest new car market in the world (thus, the largest used too) and an unbelievable choice in the used market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1839186)
I can't think of a better place to buy pre-worshipped cars than the United States. The largest new car market in the world (thus, the largest used too) and an unbelievable choice in the used market.

agree: I have never bought a used car in India, but if I am in the US I defiantly would buy ONLY used, especially if I don't intend keeping it too long. And yes for peace of mind I suggest you pay that extra few bucks and get it "certified" pre-owned with dealer warranty.

Chicago has bad winters, you could include an SUV as an option.
From the used car market, I suggest the following:

BMW 335xi
Infinity FX
X5,X3
535xi
E350 4matic

1. 328 hp vs 211 hp vs 230 hp. For me, the choice is pretty simple because of the vast difference in horsepower.

2. I haven't driven any of the cars mentioned but I did drive a 335i as hard as it (or I) dared to go through a mountain road. The 335i, driven hard or cruising at 80, is a very special car. The steering, the chassis, the brakes, the engine all work in unison. Will the 328i with sport suspension but minus 70 hp feel as good? I don't know but I doubt it. But the G37 is not too shabby either. It might not be as well sorted as the 328i, but it should run away from the Bimmer at any speed, any road.

3. If you are worried about the snow, you have all-wheel drive versions on all cars

4. New vs Used is your decision. Do you want to save a few thousand on overall depreciation and let go of the new car experience? You will also need to change tires, brakes earlier on used cars and the warranty runs out sooner

5. Interiors wise, the G37 looks better than the 328i. Not sure where the Audi stands but it's definitely better than the BMW.

6. The Bimmer has a 4yr/50k mi. Zero maintenance package. That is probably worth a 1000$-1500$

7. My friend last month got a deal on a new 2010 G37x (AWD) with some very good options for 34.x k (List price 40.x k). So, that's a 15% discount right there assuming he's not lying or confused. He didn't buy the car, by the way.

My personal opinion: Test drive all 3. Buy the Infiniti

Go for infiniti.I feel that it is more reliable than the Audi and Bimmer.

The Inifiniti G37 - only because it's got larger rear leg room compared to the Audi & the BMW.

The 328i is an excellent handler on back-roads.

I won't comment on the Audi because I haven't driven one but the G37 & 328i are both reliable.

If you get a 335i (especially pre-2007), then check history for modifications and HPFP issues. These cars have a high pressure fuel pump that's prone to failing.

Thanks Guys for the suggestions provided. Now I am a bit confused, do you think going with a SUV is a btter option or shd I stick to Infiniti G37 with AWD as the only change from my earlier choise of RWD given the horrid Chicago winter if its gonna be an SUV, which would be the best given my budget?

You can also consider the Lexus IS10 & Nissan Maxima.

I would recommend you to drive each one of them once you get there.
If i were you i would get the G37 Coupe ;) just see if our young man can fit in.

I suggest you to get an INFINITI from used market. I have seen many sparingly used G35/G37 @ mouth watering price in used car market during our car hunt.

G35 coupe is one of my favorite cars. :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anarchist (Post 1845171)
Now I am a bit confused, do you think going with a SUV is a btter option or shd I stick to Infiniti G37 with AWD as the only change from my earlier choise of RWD given the horrid Chicago winter if its gonna be an SUV, which would be the bet given my budget?

Or, if you have storage space, then stick to a RWD car and just go in for a separate set of winter tyres or a winter wheel-tyre package.

Unless your car has a sport package it will come with all season tires which are OK for winter. (esp with ESP) AWD not required.

If you want to be absolutely safe then get a set of Blizzaks but I recomend gettiing new narrow wheels too. Its funny to see people put on 40 profile snow tires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 1849530)
Unless your car has a sport package it will come with all season tires which are OK for winter. (esp with ESP) AWD not required.

If you want to be absolutely safe then get a set of Blizzaks but I recomend gettiing new narrow wheels too. Its funny to see people put on 40 profile snow tires.

If the amount of snow is anything like what you guys got this year, snow tires on a RWD are highly recommended - getting stuck on an incline with no traction is not fun.

I totally agree with the smaller wheels part - got 2 advantages:

1. The snow tires work better if they are little narrow.
2. Your nice wheels do not get damaged due to salt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohit (Post 1849650)
If the amount of snow is anything like what you guys got this year, snow tires on a RWD are highly recommended.

Tell me about it.

There's usually about 4-5 days in a year Jan-Mar that you will have your heart in your mouth. If you are in IT, then just work from home on those days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 1850897)
Tell me about it.

There's usually about 4-5 days in a year Jan-Mar that you will have your heart in your mouth. If you are in IT, then just work from home on those days.

Having faced situations where I made it out unscathed just because I had snow tires, I believe spending 2-3% of you car's value on proper snow tires is a wise decision. Any incident howsoever small is going to cost you more.