Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2010, 12:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Given your requirements, it should be the Volvo S80 Twin Turbo Diesel.
Old 1st May 2010, 12:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.wadhwa View Post
I'm assuming the spares must be available in India easily as it is now owned by TATA.
Ahem.. don't count on it mate. There are Fiat vehicles manufactured in India with Sales & Distribution with Tata along with After Sales Support. However, there have been reports on this very forum of long waits for even minor parts at the service centers.
If my heart is on a vehicle, I would rather not make assumptions

And yes, I like your attitude of living life king size
Old 1st May 2010, 12:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions on the Volvo, but somehow it doesn't appeal to me, but I checked out the Jaguar XF. I love the way the Jaguar XF. I'm assuming the spares must be available in India easily as it is now owned by TATA. I would like someone who owns the Jaguar XF to give me some inputs. What price range is it in and how is it to be owning one? I would be driving myself, so guess the Nissan Teana is not for me.
Jaguar XF is a good choice. Its way better than the S80. If you can manage the petrol bills, Jag is the best option. You'll have to increase your budget also. It costs upwards of 60 Lakh.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

3. A rare car which is not known by everybody, might not put you in the club of 'rich'. BMW,Benz and Audi are the cars the people think and say 'rich'.

4. I checked out the Jaguar XF. I love the way the Jaguar XF.
If BMW,Audi,Merc put you in the rich category, Jaguar puts you in the 'Elite' category. And your requirement of going unnoticed will be undone. BMW,Audi,Merc, these have become so common that many won't bother giving a second glance.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Really, your best bet IS the Volvo S80 diesel. Everything you want is sorted with this car, be it safety, subtlety (I COMPLETELY agree with you on this one, my Dad still doesn't take the 3 everywhere), VFM (price cuts have made it a good deal), power and economy, and incredible comfort (yep, the front seats are inviting).

Just go for it, long as you have service in close vicinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
BMW,Audi,Merc, these have become so common that many won't bother giving a second glance.
Really? Hah.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post

Really? Hah.
At least in Bangalore. I might probably look if its a 7 series. Have grown tired of the 3-series and the C-class.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 1st May 2010 at 13:54.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
At least in Bangalore. I might probably look if its a 7 series. Have gown tired of the 3-series and the C-class.
Personal opinion then, rather than a sweeping statement.
Old 1st May 2010, 14:57   #23
BHPian

IMHO you should check out the competitors before finalizing the XF.
The new 5er or E250/350 may just make you forget about the image you give out to others and make you fall in love with them.
The only thing about Jaguar is that their service backup is sparse and you dont know how experienced their supervisors and mechanics are (for the small niggles in Jags if any).

Or forget all the above points and buy a ducati.
Old 1st May 2010, 16:40   #24
BHPian

Mr. Wadhwa,
The Jaguar XF will def get out of your 50L budget. You could also look at the VW Passat. If not in a hurry to upgrade there are quite a few expensive cars with not so expensive looks coming in this year, but with expensive features.
To keep it subtle your only choice would be a Volvo or VW.
And I am curious of your journey from the train to 10L to a 50L car. Please share if you may.
Old 1st May 2010, 18:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Or forget all the above points and buy a ducati.
Haahahahha

Subtle ? Check.
Family vehicle? Check.
VFM ? Check.
Good FE ? Check.
Environmentally friendly ? Check.

Rarity factor ? Hmm this one might actually be a genuine check.
Old 2nd May 2010, 06:02   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

@s.wadhwa - Given that you are from Mumbai and are willing to spend 50L, do look at the E250, new 5 series and the Audi A6.
Ideally, since you want a family car that is safe, there is no going wrong with either of these. They might be a bit snobbish, but in Mumbai, a BMW or Mercedes hardly tends to stand out (unless it is the S/7/A8 or a sports model). This is the case assuming you stay in a good locality with other such cars around in the neighborhood.
Take a TD and buy the one you like the most.

If not, do not consider either of these cars and settle for a 20L car like an Accord.

Some points to note -
BMW has the best reliability + is the only company to offer a 5 year maintainance package (recommended). However, I doubt any of these cars with all their electronics will as reliable as your honda.
Service costs for these cars are at around 40K per year. Do check it out. Spares are equally expenses and over a 5 year period, one needs to allocate nearly 10-15% of the cars cost for maintainance only.
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:00   #27
BHPian

Slightly over 50 , but you can consider the VW Touareg.

P.S- The Ducati joke had me in splits
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

How about the New Toureg?
it seems like a good buy but might just cross the 50 lac budget.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:02   #29
BHPian

@aloksriva- I just realised most of the new ones round the corners are the fancy germans which Mr. Wadhwa might not be keen on.

Considering the locality where one stays, anything above a honda city can attract attention. for that matter a honda city can be fancy too.
I would suggest you could settle in for a Toyota Camry not sure when the AVALON will make its way to our roads or maybe a Honda Accord or a Superb. They provide everything that you want from a big car and spend the rest of the money on something else.
You consider the VW Tiguan or a some of the Volvo or BMW crossovers coming to India but again they can't be called subtle.
Just realised that the Germans rule the 30+ market. wonder when are the americans or japanese going to bring their stable to India. would love to see the cadillac's roll here.
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:58   #30
BHPian

Just wait a few months for the ......PHAETON!

I read somewhere on this forum that its coming in for about 40L or so. It is in the same segment as S-class etc and my my, is it a beauty. I had the pleasure of sitting in a long-wheelbase white phaeton in delhi on many occasions a few years ago. The interiors of that car basically killed every car in its segment at the time. Very good comfort-wise and excellent value for money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks