Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2010, 16:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.wadhwa
So maybe I guess I will have to stick with a Benz E-Class as suggested, as it seems there are so many so nobody will really bother noticing me.
I know its not intentional on your part, but I could not resist. The way you say "I guess I will have to stick with ..." would make someone think an M800 is being discussed.

Anyway, go for the E. Nice car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.wadhwa
is it possible that someone buys such a car and he starts getting "calls" from the wrong type of people?
I guess you being in Mumbai, there could be some reason for concern. But again, if they were to call up every guy with a Benz/BMW, the list would be long IMO.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:06   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I guess you being in Mumbai, there could be some reason for concern. But again, if they were to call up every guy with a Benz/BMW, the list would be long IMO.
larger database = more prospective customers
Old 7th May 2010, 17:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.wadhwa View Post
Okay, I want to really thank fellow Team BHPians on discouraging me from going in for the Jaguar. I ever got a few private messages, explaining things to me. Really thank you guys.
I might have heard at the 7 / S level. Not much of a worry, although subtlety is the key. Aren't you interested in the new 5 or the A6 at all? They're both relatively less flashy than the E, the Audi especially. Maybe the A4 too. Will save you some good dough for something else.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:36   #49
BHPian

Sir if you think that a 50 lakh car will draw unwanted attention which you do not want , and every time you are in it you may feel a little insecure about whose watching, why buy such a car. Buy a 20 lakh car which you feel safe and happy in like an accord or Superb. Two years down the line, upgrade again as the jump then wont be as steep ( segment wise). Plus maybe till then we have some low profile 50 lakh car.
Peace of mind is much more important than an expensive car IMHO.
Old 7th May 2010, 18:39   #50
BHPian

If I had 50L to spare, and would want to go around unnoticed, I will opt for any sub-20-25L car and hire that Chabria guy for the change left, to spruce up the interiors;-}
Old 7th May 2010, 18:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

I find the whole idea of this thread funny. no offense to anyone, but just stating my view.

the thread starter wants to buy a 50L car, but does not want to get noticed, but he posts his wish on a public forum, thousands of people have viewed his thread. few tens of them advice him how to buy such a car or how he can not buy such a car

if really some one wants to buy a 50L car and does not want anyone to know then he would do it very discreetly.

Hence i find this such a time pass thread. i resisted posting here,
but could not resist longer.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th May 2010 at 18:58.
Old 7th May 2010, 19:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
I find the whole idea of this thread funny. no offense to anyone, but just stating my view.
There are "n" number of reasons why OP's requirement is what it is! Nothing funny about it.

To give an example, suppose one owns a small company giving niche services to several clients, and make tonnes of money..however, flashing around the money on a Jaguar/BMW etc, and going for meetings with VP/President level of these clients, is not exactly what one would like to protray..the next thing one will encounter is cost-cutting requests...

There are various other scenarios like the locality one lives in, close relatives etc which may affect such wish.

Discussing in a public forum in nameless/faceless way is not exactly the same thing as in fulll public view - after all the OP is still anonymous and hence it is as good as discreet.
Old 7th May 2010, 20:06   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan
Sir if you think that a 50 lakh car will draw unwanted attention which you do not want , and every time you are in it you may feel a little insecure about whose watching, why buy such a car. Buy a 20 lakh car which you feel safe and happy in like an accord or Superb. Peace of mind is much more important than an expensive car IMHO.
Very sane advice indeed. Why pay hard-earned money and then be worrying all the time ? Not a good way to spend money.

Instead go for a car that is good/luxurious but which does not attract attention like the Accord/Superb and have peace of mind. Not to mention, the 30L odd that will remain in the bank to be used for something else.
Old 7th May 2010, 20:26   #54
BHPian

Totally agree with akshaymahajan and supremeBaleno. If I had that kind of money and wanted to stay discreet, I would buy a much cheaper car, Superb being a very good example, or the Camry or Accord, and enjoy peace of mind. One should look at 50 odd lakhs + cars only when one really wants to flaunt it. I think one of the major things you get for the 30lakh difference is the extra attention any where you go plus ofcourse features and the works.
Old 7th May 2010, 20:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure you might be understanding, what I am talking about. Thanks.
That has been clear from your first post. We have a neighbour undergoing the same dilemma, having bought a beemer CE he is now afraid to take it out. While there are others in the same neighbourhood who use their Es, and A4s with aplomb. So it is a mind game but then again that is the worst bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Sir if you think that a 50 lakh car will draw unwanted attention which you do not want , and every time you are in it you may feel a little insecure about whose watching, why buy such a car. Buy a 20 lakh car which you feel safe and happy in like an accord or Superb. Two years down the line, upgrade again as the jump then wont be as steep ( segment wise). Plus maybe till then we have some low profile 50 lakh car.
Peace of mind is much more important than an expensive car IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Very sane advice indeed. Why pay hard-earned money and then be worrying all the time ? Not a good way to spend money.
Instead go for a car that is good/luxurious but which does not attract attention like the Accord/Superb and have peace of mind. Not to mention, the 30L odd that will remain in the bank to be used for something else.
supremeBaleno has taken the words out of my mouth regarding akshaymahajan's post. So without being repetitive I will just add the Teana and the Passat to the Accord and Superb suggested above.
Old 7th May 2010, 21:24   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey,

Living in Mumbai and knowing many people who drive such cars regularly, I doubt you will get any calls.
Mercs, BMWs, Audis, are all very common in Mumbai and though you will get unwanted attention from the beggars, there is nothing else to worry about.
However. a few points to consider:
- Make sure that this is not the most expensive car in the neighborhood. While this would not lead to calls, it would lead to people scratching it.
- Make sure you can afford the maintainance.

Go ahead and enjoy your buy. If you are still worried, then go ahead and buy an Accord/Teana/Camry, and a few years down the line, upgrade once again.
Old 7th May 2010, 21:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Agree with people that spending 50 lac(not a small amount for most of the people) and then keep worrying about unwanting calls from unwanted people and ruining your peace of mind is just not worth it.
I would simply buy a superb which has most of the features of the high end cars and invest the rest of the money for good returns.

Still if you wanna buy it then go for an Audi. Merc/bmw gets noticed more than Audi.
Old 10th May 2010, 11:47   #58
BHPian

If you want to buy an expensive car in the range of 50L, buy a BMW or an E-class, and just remove the logo from front and rear, modify the looks a little bit, may be put some logo which people can't even understand which one it is. Simple and stupid as it may sound, but I feel it's effective. It's like saying "E-class inside I-diot outside" jokes apart, as GTO put it across correctly, you can't just ignore the enginerring marvel that companies such as Merc/BMW have been able to achieve, while you try to hide your brand impressions.
Old 16th May 2010, 13:33   #59

I am very happy to say that I have made my choice and purchased my car. Yet to get delivery though.

I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for helping me out and really understanding my need. To a few it might seem funny that I want a low profile car, but trust me it is not. I decided to move up gradually, and settled for a Honda Accord. I am comfortable with Honda service and was not too sure of Skoda service. I figured that better to have peace of mind and maybe once comfortable move up my car. I think I will not attract attention if I move up from a Accord to a Benz E/BMW 5/Audi after 1-2 years. The extra Rs. 30 lakhs approx. that I saved will be going to the same fund manager, because of whom I got the chance to grow my money in the first place.

My family is very happy with Team BHP and thanks all the members for making sure we are doing the right thing. As a suggestion, I feel Team BHP should offer professional consultancy and charge for it. I wouldn't have minded paying for what I got here.

Thanks.
Old 16th May 2010, 18:22   #60
BHPian

Quote:
settled for a Honda Accord.
Sensible decision indeed, congratulations on the purchase!

Quote:
As a suggestion, I feel Team BHP should offer professional consultancy and charge for it. I wouldn't have minded paying for what I got here.
That's the beauty of this forum - you would get unconditional, unbiased, honest and sensible advice on almost any topic (and just not vehicles - care having a look at 'Shifting Gears' section) under the sun.. Charging for suggestions would beat the very idea of this forum!

Besides, there are lot of buyers out there, I for one, who do not have a fund manager like yours, and therefore, rely on 'free' suggestions! ;-)

Enjoy!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks