Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 23:53   #1
BHPian

Price Advice & Model facelift info needed.

Hello All,

I have been asked to select a car for someone (aged 50-60) in cochin. Budget is stretchable upto 60L. The person is generally chauffer driven when in India, but would like a car which he can easily drive and park once in a while. He drives a Prado abroad and finds it very easy to drive and park , especially in tight spaces better than a smaller car.

He loves to buy a Merc. But that doesnt mean he hates all other brands.
He is rather tall and hence prefers an SUV, but he is willing to forego this preference for point above.
The model should not be up for a major face lift (known) within 2-3 years
Diesel.
No Prado/TLC, Volvo.

My options were Merc E class, Audi Q7/Q5, Merc ML/GL. But I am not aware of the prices for these.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:42   #2
BHPian

Yup all the listings above make sense. He could also consider the VW Touareg. If he isn't particular about image, he could buy the Skoda Superb, which will give him limo like space in the rear for a fraction of the cost!
Old 11th May 2010, 11:58   #3
BHPian

Q7 if he wants a 7 seater. Q5 if he wants a compact SUV. Or the M class for that matter. If he just wants to be different, he can go for the freelander.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:10   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

He can get a Q7 within his budget, I guess its about 58 Lakhs Ex-showroom.

He can even consider the new engine option ( 4.2 Litre TDI) that can beat the pants of a sports sedan with a 0-100 in 6 seconds.

Q7 is easily the most good looking SUV in the country right now with large propotions equivalent to his abroad car ( Prado) and I think he should feel at home with this SUV.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:57   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Since he likes Merc,SUV's and something not too big from what I understand, there is only one perfect option that comes to my mind- Mercedes ML.
The ML is a low seller and it's sales have been hit even harder by the launch of the GL. Dealers are letting them go at yummy discounts from what I hear. The ML350CDi would be my pick.
Old 11th May 2010, 18:29   #6
BHPian

But Sahil, Why is the ML350 not a hit ?. That too in a country where people love Merc. Any reasons?.

And I thought Q7 is 70L ?.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:01   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
But Sahil, Why is the ML350 not a hit ?. That too in a country where people love Merc. Any reasons?.
Simply because the Q7 is such a hit! Anyone who wants to buy a 70 lakh SUV has the Q7 on their shortlist. No wonder then, that the Q7 sells multiple times that of the ML.

I think an E Class (light to drive + great back seat) is perfectly suited to the intended purpose.

Most Viewed