Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 13:51   #31
BHPian

sumeet, as you would be aware that both the teanna and camry have highly expensive imported parts. IMO, given a price point and the budget on hand you could opt for a CIVIC (step down on the category youre looking at) either new or slighly old, or consider the newly launched CRUZ auto, heard great reviews on this as well, plus the 3year service contract from GM..good luck
Old 19th May 2010, 13:59   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
The pricing is wacky in Bangalore. Used Accords in good condition go for 6L here in Calcutta. An Accord at 6 Lakhs vs Camry of similar vintage at 17 lakhs. Wheres the confusion?
what you talking about buddy? you find 2008 accords for 6 lacs in cal? let me cancel my punto booking
Old 19th May 2010, 22:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
sumeet, as you would be aware that both the teanna and camry have highly expensive imported parts. IMO, given a price point and the budget on hand you could opt for a CIVIC (step down on the category youre looking at) either new or slighly old, or consider the newly launched CRUZ auto, heard great reviews on this as well, plus the 3year service contract from GM..good luck
Thanks for the suggestions.
Thanks to you all guys I realized cost of ownership is not just about initial buying but in the longer run other things like repair, maintenance and service etc, need to be taken into account.
That said the reliability factor of a car like Camry seems to be pretty good even from the experience of BHPians like vinay.
My own experience with the first gen city has been excellent, so also with the 800, but I know they are different breed altogether and you could get your 800 repaired and serviced at a low cost pretty much anywhere in the country.
Reg. Cruz and other american cars I have a personal mind block and however good they may well be I would not consider them for a buy.
I am also evaluating the option of buying the laura 2.0 diesel, having seen it with my colleague for the last few days and must say am pretty impressed with it, but am bit scared of the A.S.S, after seeing the woes of several skoda owners in this forum and elsewhere.

[quote=prsnck;1893009]

Quote:
Also heard that Auto transimission is not all that fool proof, some niggling issues will have to live with. Parts are fully imported, so expect a expensive visit to service centres.
Thanks, there was an earlier post alerting about the glitches with transmission in '07 camry but I not sure if it was ironed out or whether this particular one has any issues.

Quote:
Not to dampen your spirit, but the only Toyota model I have seen with less Resale is Camry. This was because of above said expensive repairs, and rattling and squeaks was common with Camry, after prolonged mileage. Corolla is a better bet anytime than Camry.
I have driven new and used camrys in US, and assuredly even with 100,000 miles (not kms) on board they can be in good condition (roads are of course not comparable).Over all corolla is a notch lower in quality, fit and finish and equipment when compared to camry, no doubt about it.True resale would be poor 4 to 5 year down the road and in this respect honda scores.

Quote:
That is my cents on Toyota Camry. Also Sumeet, in case you have not yet sold your Old Honda city, would you be intrested if I can have a look at it. Its sometime I was looking for a upgrade from my jelly bean zen.
I will remember to PM you when I need to sell/exchange my city!

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th May 2010 at 22:36. Reason: Back to back posts, EDIT the original post once approved instead. Thanks
Old 22nd May 2010, 23:22   #34
BHPian

Test drove 2 more camrys.
A 2008 AT with 16K, from toyota trust is quoted at 18.5 L
a 2007 AT with 24K is priced at 16.5L.
When I mentioned the high cost of spares and repair, the sales guy gave me a comparison of some of the component costs of camry Vs skoda, parts which typically may require replacement like clutch plate assembly, brakes etc.
Except for the head light assembly all other parts for camry are lower than that of Laura, which was surprising to me.
Toyota trust also gives 1 year/15K limited warranty and 3 free services.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:00   #35
BHPian

Booked a camry end 2007, 23K run, in great shape(company owned).
thanks for all the advises, was realy helpful, request moderator to close the thread!
Old 27th May 2010, 15:39   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the buy! As I posted earlier, the Camry will probably outlast you .

1. If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pick the car up for?

2. Even if you mind, do share a complete ownership review . It'll be of great help to other prospective Camry customers.

Drive safe.
Old 27th May 2010, 21:36   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on the buy! As I posted earlier, the Camry will probably outlast you .

1. If you don't mind sharing, how much did you pick the car up for?

2. Even if you mind, do share a complete ownership review . It'll be of great help to other prospective Camry customers.

Drive safe.
Sorry, noticed that i forgot to mention the closing amount which was 15.3L with brand new comprehensive insurance worth 35 K thrown in and a reverse parking sensor as an added freebie!
Will drive it for some time and then post the review.
Thanks again to everybody for their advise.
Old 28th May 2010, 00:00   #38
BHPian

Congratulations doc on your purchase! Wishing you many many miles of smiles
Old 28th May 2010, 01:35   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new acquisition. So, atlast you got the car of your choice. It seems to be good deal. Which colour is it?
Old 28th May 2010, 06:47   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition. So, atlast you got the car of your choice. It seems to be good deal. Which colour is it?
while I need to find the correct name, it is a light blue silver, looks elegant in an understated way.
Also checked the issue with faulty transmissions of '07 and '08 Camrys and apparently these were issues limited to US made ones and the ones we get in india are CBUs from Japan and did not have this problem.
Old 30th May 2010, 23:17   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Congratulations doc on your purchase! Wishing you many many miles of smiles
Thanks, and the shining (not so) new camry came home today.
Will try to post some pics, and post the initial experience later!

Most Viewed