Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2010, 19:51   #1
BHPian

Need expert advise on a preowned camry

I am a practicing physician and have been reading this wonderful forum for over a year, and am amazed at the collective knowledge bank this forum offers and the high quality of opinions, which are unbiased and sincere.
So decided to join the forum and am a proud BHPian (newbie) now.
Request opinions from the pros, for a current offer.
I have a 10 year old honda city which I have used for past 4 years, has given me good, reliable service with little other than regular service and once a change of the entire silencer assembly.
I wanted to upgrade/change my city and started with a budget of 10 to 11 lakhs.
Considered new ANHC but in the showroom when I sat in the civic lost my heart to it and started to look for preowned civics, was in process of finalizing a good civic AT 2008, run 24K well maintained,but alas came to know it was involved in an accident and had major repairs done.
Meanwhile have now seen a Camry (W2AT) 2007 model, 27 K done with asking price of 17L,single owner, company registered (owned previously by toyota kirloskar), have brought it down to 15L, and trading in my old city for 2.5L, I need to pay 12.5L. The car is in excellent condition and am yet to run it through the toyota dealership for a thorough check( Have told the dealer that the deal will be through only after it is checked and found genuine).
I must say I was simply impressed by the camry as opposed to the civic(I realize they are in different segments) and require the opinions of gurus in this forum about the deal (Have now stretched my budget to be able to make the deal).
Thanks in advance.
Old 13th May 2010, 21:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

the camry is a CBU and the parts, if needed will be very expensive. also it dosent sell that much so resale later will be better.

my suggestion. look for a good condition 2008 2.4 honda accord. a better product than the camry. you should get one in your budget.
Old 13th May 2010, 21:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the camry is a CBU and the parts, if needed will be very expensive. also it dosent sell that much so resale later will be better.

my suggestion. look for a good condition 2008 2.4 honda accord. a better product than the camry. you should get one in your budget.
Thanks for your advise, looked at accord too, but atleast in last 2 to 3 months have not found anything good, many had clocked 60K or more and I am a bit hesitant to spend nearly 15L on a car which has done above 50K (May be a wrong premise), as I fear many expenses are around the corner (tyres, major other repairs etc).
There is currently one ad in team BHP itself for a whopping 19L though with substantial modifications!
Old 13th May 2010, 21:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

My advice would be to buy a Camry (if you must) from Delhi. At most 10L for a 2 year old, those cars have NO resale. Better still buy a Civic at 8L (pristine) or just buy a Honda from the showroom. You will be a far happier man !

A friend that bought a Camry for 9.25 just got his compressor changed out of warranty, don't know what he paid...

My advice - go honda go !

Believe you me.

Cheers
Old 13th May 2010, 21:44   #5
Team-BHP Support

Camry is a very reliable car, almost bullet proof reliability. As mentioned early the spares are lil exorbitant since its a CBU. FE will be another issue for an AT don't expect double digits in city. If you are ok with this and is not worried about a resale (from your previous exp i feel you are looking at a longterm ownership), go for it i would say. The price quoted is it a lil on the higher side?

Having said that, hope you have seen the Civic thread by GTO. So please do not hurry with second hand purchase, you will soon find a clean piece and a perfect vfm lateral upgrade lurking out there somewhere.
Old 13th May 2010, 21:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
My advice would be to buy a Camry (if you must) from Delhi. At most 10L for a 2 year old, those cars have NO resale. Better still buy a Civic at 8L (pristine) or just buy a Honda from the showroom. You will be a far happier man !

A friend that bought a Camry for 9.25 just got his compressor changed out of warranty, don't know what he paid...

My advice - go honda go !

Believe you me.

Cheers
Cannot believe prices can be so different (I know preowned cars are more expensive in bangalore)!
New Camry AT (W4AT) is a whopping 28L on road and 2 year old in delhi at 10L is just too good to believe.
But it is impractical to get a car from outside state and then pay a huge tax etc.
I would not mind a civic and saw a manual one 2008 for 9L, but am looking for AT (to enjoy the freedom it gives), and FE is not an issue for me as my driving is limited to 300Kms/month maximum.
Old 13th May 2010, 21:56   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The 2006-2007 model years of the Camry AT had a known automatic transmission issue. Read this: Toyota Camry Forum - Have they fixed the trans problems with the v6 for the new 2008's - CarGurus and 2007 Toyota Camry User Reviews - MSN Autos.

A 15L price tag also sounds way too high. My own used car dealer channels in Delhi indicate a price range of around 11-11.5 L for the AT and 11.5-12L for the MT. Even adding 10% to that makes the price quoted to you to be too high.

On the plus side, the car is owned by Toyota Kirloskar. Would the co. offer you a 2-year/25000 km bumper-to-bumper warranty for that price? You could ask, though it seems unlikely.

My suggestion: Stay away. Unless, of course, you get that warranty.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 13th May 2010 at 21:59.
Old 13th May 2010, 22:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Camry is a very reliable car, almost bullet proof reliability. As mentioned early the spares are lil exorbitant since its a CBU. FE will be another issue for an AT don't expect double digits in city. If you are ok with this and is not worried about a resale (from your previous exp i feel you are looking at a longterm ownership), go for it i would say. The price quoted is it a lil on the higher side?

Having said that, hope you have seen the Civic thread by GTO. So please do not hurry with second hand purchase, you will soon find a clean piece and a perfect vfm lateral upgrade lurking out there somewhere.
FE as I mentioned is not a major consideration as of now.
I do keep cars for long and my Maruti 800 is testimony of that, '88 bought by dad is still in excellent condition with only 75K on the clock.
I realise the cost is a bit more (Camry) but to my untrained eyes is in pristine condition, a black beauty.
GTO's was a brilliant buy, trust me that machine would have vanished in no time in Bangalore for 11L or even more.
Thanks for the advise and knowledge gained in this forum has been invaluable.
Old 13th May 2010, 22:57   #9
BHPian

Camry? Nah, not a good VFM. My first suggestion would be an Accord (2.4 or V6 depending on what you prefer) or a Superb. Both are really great cars. Infact, you might even get a '06 C-Class in your budget

EDIT : How about an SUV like Captiva/CR-V?

Last edited by prateekm : 13th May 2010 at 22:58.
Old 13th May 2010, 23:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Camry? Nah, not a good VFM. My first suggestion would be an Accord (2.4 or V6 depending on what you prefer) or a Superb. Both are really great cars. Infact, you might even get a '06 C-Class in your budget

EDIT : How about an SUV like Captiva/CR-V?
V6 no, I donot need that much power! (where in bangalore can you really use it)!
C' class '06 in b'lore, doubt it, but have not really looked. (that may be my next upgrade in 5 to 6 years).
About a SUV, if Skoda was to launch Yeti in next few months and price it within my budget (15L), solves my problem, will go for it.!
Even '07 CRV quotes above 16L to 18L.
Old 13th May 2010, 23:19   #11
BHPian

go for brand new civic.new is new and honda is honda!
Old 13th May 2010, 23:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procircuit_234 View Post
go for brand new civic.new is new and honda is honda!
Beyond budget and perhaps not VFM, IMHO. (17L on road for civic AT).
In my pre BHP days perhaps I would not have thought much about preowned cars in this segment, but am wiser now, and since not in a hurry will wait and watch!
Old 13th May 2010, 23:34   #13
BHPian

how about 06-07 model upgraded accord V6.i think you will get it around 10 to 11 lacs.that car is very much fun to drive!
Old 13th May 2010, 23:37   #14
BHPian

Do you have any reservations on going to Mumbai/Delhi to buy your car? You might end up saving a lac or two easily
Old 13th May 2010, 23:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Do you have any reservations on going to Mumbai/Delhi to buy your car? You might end up saving a lac or two easily
I do realize prices in mumbai or delhi are way cheaper, but don't you think it is quite impractical, considering the effort involved, the additional road tax to be paid in karnataka, it seems like a difficult and rather impractical proposition.

Most Viewed